By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Pro Wrasslin' Thread (WWE, WWF, WCW, TNA, ROH, NWA, NJPW, etc)

Tagged games:

What match are you excited for at WWE Payback 2017?

Neville vs. Austin Aries ... 1 5.88%

Randy Orton vs. Bray Wyat... 3 17.65%

The Hardy Boyz vs. Cesaro... 3 17.65%

Kevin Owens vs. Chris Jer... 4 23.53%

Bayley vs. Alexa Bliss (Raw Women's Title) 3 17.65%

Seth Rollins vs. Samoa Joe 1 5.88%

Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman 2 11.76%

Total:17

*spoilers I guess* Props to Jay White. He saw Cole was injured in the match, hit his finisher on Okada, and pinned Cole. It wasn't the best ending, but some things are more important, and White acted to protect Cole which should be the number one priority in that situation. Pro move.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:

*spoilers I guess* Props to Jay White. He saw Cole was injured in the match, hit his finisher on Okada, and pinned Cole. It wasn't the best ending, but some things are more important, and White acted to protect Cole which should be the number one priority in that situation. Pro move.

See, this right here is why I hardly participate in the conversation here anymore. 

the PPV was an all-time great, EVERY match was at least very good and some were exceptionally astounding....and you still found a reason to point out that this 'wasn't the best ending'. Like, why fixate on that one small bit of a long and very high-quality PPV? You could talk about how fun any of the other matches were, but you chose to point out the one bad thing of the whole show (Even while quantifying it with admitted it was bad for a good reason and that it was important.) 

Subtlety in intent is key, here. Bias or not it's hard to not go into every interaction with you on the topic on the defence because it's so clear you'll find any excuse to be negative about anything AEW. whether you meant it that way or not is irrelevant, the things you chose to talk about and the way you present those ideas make it so clear that this is your prerogative. It's less 'oh man I really want to talk about this unfortunate thing' and more 'I want to be critical but need to mask it through the lens of concern so people don't realize how biased I am and how much I actually dislike AEW'. 

I used to do this same shit, so it's pretty easy to see in others once I reflected and saw it in myself. Once I deciphered my mental gymnastics I see others doing it all the time and this right here is a pretty good example. 

If anyone else said this exact same thing, I'd engage in the discussion. I'd feel like they cared or that they were concerned for Adam's health or that they were coming from a place of positivity. But given how you've engaged in the conversation over the past few months, I just can't get over my perception of your intent. Just another way to focus on the negative through a lens of concern. 

A shame, too. I'd LOVE To gush about the PPV once I am done watching it. Loved every minute of it so far, even the buy-in, which traditionally is throw-away matches in any promotion. I especially was impressed by the opener; seeing QT Marshall do some of that surprised me! Dude does not look like the kind of guy that does a 450 splash. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
JWeinCom said:

See, this right here is why I hardly participate in the conversation here anymore. 

the PPV was an all-time great, EVERY match was at least very good and some were exceptionally astounding....and you still found a reason to point out that this 'wasn't the best ending'. Like, why fixate on that one small bit of a long and very high-quality PPV? You could talk about how fun any of the other matches were, but you chose to point out the one bad thing of the whole show (Even while quantifying it with admitted it was bad for a good reason and that it was important.) 

Subtlety in intent is key, here. Bias or not it's hard to not go into every interaction with you on the topic on the defence because it's so clear you'll find any excuse to be negative about anything AEW. whether you meant it that way or not is irrelevant, the things you chose to talk about and the way you present those ideas make it so clear that this is your prerogative. It's less 'oh man I really want to talk about this unfortunate thing' and more 'I want to be critical but need to mask it through the lens of concern so people don't realize how biased I am and how much I actually dislike AEW'. 

I used to do this same shit, so it's pretty easy to see in others once I reflected and saw it in myself. Once I deciphered my mental gymnastics I see others doing it all the time and this right here is a pretty good example. 

If anyone else said this exact same thing, I'd engage in the discussion. I'd feel like they cared or that they were concerned for Adam's health or that they were coming from a place of positivity. But given how you've engaged in the conversation over the past few months, I just can't get over my perception of your intent. Just another way to focus on the negative through a lens of concern. 

A shame, too. I'd LOVE To gush about the PPV once I am done watching it. Loved every minute of it so far, even the buy-in, which traditionally is throw-away matches in any promotion. I especially was impressed by the opener; seeing QT Marshall do some of that surprised me! Dude does not look like the kind of guy that does a 450 splash. 

It truly was an excellent PPV, even for someone like myself who has limited knowledge of NJPW. Though it is funny how so many are trying to downplay it in the comment sections of wrestling sites, and nitpicking anything they can. But you know who these people are, and they will hate anything that isn't apart of their beloved "universe".

Runa216 said:
JWeinCom said:

Wow. Can't even give praise to something in AEW if I don't do it the right way.

The answer as to why that's the only part of the show I talked about is simple, and you would have found out if you just asked instead of leaping to conclusions. I didn't see the PPV. That also isn't a knock on AEW, I just wouldn't pay 50 dollars to see a wrestling PPV of any sort. Do you think I paid 50 dollars to hate watch it so I could find something to complain about here? I assure you, I have better uses of my time and money. 

I read that Adam Cole was injured because I look at wrestling sites, and I looked up a clip to see what happened. I thought what Jay White did was great, and something that a lot of times wrestlers in both WWE and AEW often do not do. It was praiseworthy. Hence, I praised it. I would have the same reaction if something similar happened in WWE. In fact, I can prove that. To quote myself;

"But the big thing that ruined this match for me was a fucking scary looking bump when Drew tried an Alabama slam and Moss landed right on his fucking head. Match should have been stopped, or they should have at least just gone to the finish. The match didn't need to go another 5+ minutes after that, especially cause this should have been a squash to begin with."

So, naturally if I criticized someone in WWE for doing something, and someone in AEW does the exact opposite, I would praise them for it. Almost as if I have a consistent position that is not influenced by whose ring it is ;). Like... you know, a rational person. How you interpreted that as an attack on AEW is truly a product of deranged reasoning.

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 28 June 2022

BasilZero said:

NJPW wouldnt have allowed Okada to eat the pin and AEW didnt want Hangman to be pinned.

Cole eating the PIN was the easiest decision for them lol.

Claudio making his debut finally was great, hopefully he has a better run than in WWE. Him joining blackpool combat club seems like a good match but considering that Bryan danielson is injured and Moxley probably injured too, probably a good thing he joined.

I didnt really look through the rest of the show, I'll read up more about it later. Really wish AEW shows were on HBO Max.

It's not about Cole eating the pin, it's that White went right to the finish. Oftentimes especially on a ppv if someone gets injured they'll still try and get to the planned finish. Knowing what we know now, that's something they shouldn't do when someone might be concussed. Jay White did the right thing by jumping to the finish. Unless I'm wrong and that was what was planned all along, but it didn't seem like it.

Around the Network
BasilZero said:

NJPW wouldnt have allowed Okada to eat the pin and AEW didnt want Hangman to be pinned.

Cole eating the PIN was the easiest decision for them lol.

Claudio making his debut finally was great, hopefully he has a better run than in WWE. Him joining blackpool combat club seems like a good match but considering that Bryan danielson is injured and Moxley probably injured too, probably a good thing he joined.

I didnt really look through the rest of the show, I'll read up more about it later. Really wish AEW shows were on HBO Max.

Interested in seeing what Cesaro will do with more freedom in his matches. With all the injuries, it's a good time for someone like that to have a run.

Predictions for Money in the Bank?

I'm picking Mcyntyre for the men's match. They want to make him a star, and the best way to do that is at the UK PPV. I think he wins here, announces when he'll cash in, and finally ends Reigns' errr... Reign.

For the women it's a little tougher. Becky is obviously the biggest name, but they're doing a losing streak angle with her, and I think that continues with her coming close and then losing. Liv Morgan seems like the best choice. She's clicking with the fans at the moment. She seems on the cusp, and the briefcase could be the way to make her a bigger star... but I kind of don't buy her as a threat to either Bianca or Ronda. For that reason, it might be Raquel Rodriguez, since she'd look like a credible threat to either of the champs. Personally I'd love to see Asuka win it, but I think sadly Asuka has settled into the upper midcard role and will be there till she leaves WWE.

WWE really needs to make better use of managers. There are some people who are decent in the ring but can't really cut a good promo. *cough*Ronda*cough*

Gotta necrobump this thread because hell froze over. Vince McMahon has retired from the WWE. Even though it's not possible, it always felt like somehow he'd be running WWE till he was 150 years old.

I have very mixed feelings. If Vince retired it's because the shit is about to hit the fan. It's pretty much certain that he did things that warrant him leaving and never be in a position where he's in charge of women again. Between these allegations and other shady shit in McMahon's history, it has been kind of hard to rationalize continuing to support WWE. So, in a sense, I'm glad Vince is gone, because it's pretty likely he deserved it.

But... the WWE was a big part of my childhood that I have so many fond memories of. A lot of those involved Vince as a character, because I was a contrarian little shit who rooted for Vince during the Austin/Rock era. Raw/Smackdown and PPVs were often something to look forward to when I didn't have much else, and that's largely because of Vince.

While I typically watch PPVs and enjoy them, the WWE hasn't been must see for quite a while. How much of that is due to Vince, I don't know. Blaming the person at the top is common and not necessarily always accurate. I guess we'll see whether Vince was the problem. A change in leadership has me kind of excited.

Whatever the case, this kind of feels like the biggest change in the wrestling industry, or at least WWE, since John Cena uttered the words ruthless aggression. We'll see if it's a change for the better or the worse.

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 22 July 2022

With HHH being the new head of creative, I might actually return to WWE. NXT under him was some of the best wrestling shows ever from 2015-2018 (That crown went to AEW when they started in 2019).

**Edit** And with them going back to TV-14 I can expect some slightly more edgy content. I don't expect or want bloodbaths or live sex shows but I wouldn't mind a bit more edge to my wrestling. that's one of the many reasons I like AEW so much. I feel like the wrestlers have more freedom. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android