By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Marvel's netflix series, Luke Cage is out!!

I've only watched 3 episodes but so far I love it, I think is going to be my favorite marvel show but we'll see how it develops.

Around the Network

I liked it, but nowhere near as good as Daredevil

Pretty good, but not as good as Daredevil or Jessica Jones.

Luke Cage seems too virtuous. He's likeable, but he's almost too perfect, and lacks the edge of Matt or Jessica.

The villains are kind of weak. Cottonmouth is an interesting character, but he's never a credible threat. Diamondback's motive is cliche, and the acting makes him come off as kind of cartoony. Mariah is the best villain, and it will be interesting to see where they go with her. Compared to Killgrave and Kingpin who were amazing, they come off as disappointing.

Like all the Netflix series, the cinematography and music are excellent. The action scenes are fun. It's a lot more hopeful and optimistic than the other series, which is a nice change. It's a good series. Worth watching, but not truly great.

It was pretty good, better than Season 2 of Daredevil, but nowhere near as good as the first seasons of DD and JJ. My biggest issue is the villains weren't particularly noteworthy. That's why I think DD and JJ were so good. Kilgrave and Fisk were amazing villains, and the roundtable of villains in Luke Cage just didn't hold up. That said, I did like how much more his powers came into play than Jessica's did.

You im loving it so far. It has its own feel.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Pretty good, but not as good as Daredevil or Jessica Jones.

Luke Cage seems too virtuous. He's likeable, but he's almost too perfect, and lacks the edge of Matt or Jessica.

The villains are kind of weak. Cottonmouth is an interesting character, but he's never a credible threat. Diamondback's motive is cliche, and the acting makes him come off as kind of cartoony. Mariah is the best villain, and it will be interesting to see where they go with her. Compared to Killgrave and Kingpin who were amazing, they come off as disappointing.

Like all the Netflix series, the cinematography and music are excellent. The action scenes are fun. It's a lot more hopeful and optimistic than the other series, which is a nice change. It's a good series. Worth watching, but not truly great.

Ya this is pretty much spot on. Just finished the last episode earlier and was coming here to write exactly this.

Diamondback is a huge dud of a character, and the motivations surrounding him are not only cliche, but badly written as well. In general I think the show takes a couple steps backward in it's final third or so. They really nail many of the real  world social aspects of the show, and that's where it ultimately shines brightest, but they really needed a better villain to tie it all together while still presenting a viable threat to Cage. 

There are some specifics that REALLY annoy me with the writing in general but I won't get into it cus there's spoilers involved. Daredevil and Jessica Jones were both brilliant, but this one screams wasted potential. I'd give it a solid, but not particularly remarkable 3/5

I'm a few episodes in. I'm enjoying what I'm watching. I just got done watching the last season of The Wire, so everything feels a little tame in comparison. But the main character is likeable and the premise is solid. Plus Pops was played by the actor who played the corrupt police commissioner. That's pretty cool.

I didn't take to Luke Cage in Jessica Jones tbh, so I wasn't really expecting all that much but I've been pleasantly surprised by this series so far. It's not as good as Daredevil or Jessica Jones, but I'm enjoying it for what it is.

Don't ruin the moment

Currently Playing: Rocket League (PC/PS4), Dead Cells (PC)

LordyPlays on YouTube

It's not as good as Daredevil or Jessica Jones? Then I'll pass because those were not good.

I finished it yesterday and I feel like it was alright, but very dissapointing and nowhere near as good as Daredevil. 

Luke's power throughout the show never seemed consistent. In scenes he can slap someone and knock them out just from that or launch somebody far away just by pushing them with one hand, but then in others like that one big fight scene it looks like he's struggling just to pick up a couch. The fight choreography wasn't too good either but it was at least still entertaining to watch.

It has a much ligher tone than how Daredevil is dark most of the time and most importantly HUMOUR. This show actually had some jokes in it, I haven't seen Jessica Jones so I don't know about that but i've seen all of Daredevil and it was always so dark and I can't rememember any jokes or bits of humour from it except for one scene in Season 1 that was sort of funny. 

The final fight was a joke though and was cringy as fuck imo. Diamondback's suit looked horrible and the final fight was just lame. I figured they would hace a really amazing and cool final fight at the end since prior to the final episode in the show there hadn't been any BIG fights really, I wanted to see Luke's true power shown and them launching each other into buildings or Luke picking up a car and trying to hit Diamondback with it or some shit, but none of that happened and what we got was just lame imo. I'm not sure if that is due to budget reasons or not though but I would assume so. How is it that he launched someone in an earlier episode far away just by pushing him with one hand but in the final fight he's punching someone hard and they somehow don't get launched into a building? Like I said, it never seemed consistent with his powers. 

The show overall felt really low budget as well. Like, some of the CGI and effects they had here were horrible looking. I don't know how big of a budget they get for Netflix shows, and I know it won't ever be close to the same budget for a MCU film, but I feel like they could have made some things look way better. Like that scene in the trailer when Luke stands in front of a moving car and stops it, of course they don't actually show him stopping it, and I don't know if it's because they couldn't afford to show it in the budget or just because they thought it would be cooler to let the audience watching it imagine it themselves.

It's been annoying me for a while how disconnected the MCU Shows feel to the MCU movies. Luke Cage probably had more references to the bigger MCU than all of Daredevil Seasons 1 and 2 combined. (They actually mentioned Tony Stark and Captain America in this one and Justin Hammer industries). They're supposed to be in the same universe but it feels like they're not. If the Defenders don't appear in Avengers: Infinity War or any of the future films that will all but confirm a lack of communication between Marvel Television and Marvel Film departments to me.