By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Crowd is completely blown away by the 4K HDR graphics of the PS4 Pro

Yeah, I'm gonna wait on a 4ktv early next year. I'll get the PS4 Pro this year still, though.

Around the Network
exdeath said:
AsGryffynn said:

And watch their precious heads explode... 

Nah.  I'll be enjoying three dozen 100+ hour JRPGs and epic adventure and platformer games while you'll get Halo 6, Gears 5, Forza 7, Halo 4 remaster, Gears 4 remaster, Forza 6 remaster, Halo 6 ultimate addition, Gears 5 ultimate edition, Forza 7 ultimate edition, Halo 4 remastered ulticate edition...etc

One trick pony is always a one trick pony.

Ps4 being superior was fun to rub in but really the reason I'm all in PS+ Nintendo is 7th gen made me so goddamn tired of bro shooters and online epeen arena prioritized games shoved down our throats mostly by Microsoft trying to turn consoles into PCs.  One of the worst things Microsoft ever did to the world by entering the console market.  EA and Activision are to blame of course but MS was an enabler that shifted the gaming audience to the older "mature" "cool bro" demographic that fucked up 7th gen by spearheading PC like FPS on consoles with Halo soon followed by Call of Duty and the rest of the PC shovelware consoles now suffer from.

I want other genres back like we had in the golden age of SNES to PS1. I want consoles back period. This sorta like a PC but inferior while marginalizing all the types of games that made consoles different from PCs and infecting consoles with the stale oversaturated FPS curse that PCs already went through is crap. And Microsoft started all this shit with Xbox and Halo.

It's alright, I can see people get bored of the holy trinity of Halo/Gears/Forza... Fine by me... 

I think if someone creates a PC not unlike the iMacs but for gaming, those guys will have the last laugh... I definitely agree though, power is hardly the only thing a console can use to create a captive audience... 

Isn't it upscaled to 4k? Either way, if the PS4 Pro can do this with 4.2Tflops, I can't imagine what we'll get from Scorpio! Exciting times indeed!

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

barneystinson69 said:

Isn't it upscaled to 4k? Either way, if the PS4 Pro can do this with 4.2Tflops, I can't imagine what we'll get from Scorpio! Exciting times indeed!

Indeed, this has been my point all along, though we might eventually find ourselves closing in on a dead end... 

I knew the thread would be yours. Do you work for Sony or something man?

User was warned for this post ~ CGI

Around the Network
barneystinson69 said:

You might aswell just hold out for the ps5 2 years after the scorpio. 

AsGryffynn said:

Wallow all you can, Scorpio superiority is undeniable. It's here to crush the competition... Of course, if you want to mention the release date advantage, go ahead. I am sure it won't last forever. 

Wowo someone's angry. I just mentioned your dream about a 400 price tag. The scorpio is superior, have I ever said the opposite? I'm just questionning the fact that it will cost 400. And for your information, for something you seem to root really hard for, it's funny that you think the only difference is the GPU... Kek, I'm out, this is silly.

Supposedly 900p (1600x900) was 'impossible' to tell from 1080 (1920x1080), so how is 3840x2160 checkerboard supposed to be distinguishable from 3840x2160 native in a living room setup unless you have a 100" TV?

IMHO, 900p is a bit blurry but not horrendously so at typical viewing distances to a 60" TV. I find that indeed most people can't tell the difference when I change my HTPC gaming setup between 900/1080. 720 does look pretty awful though.

I think we're in the realm of diminishing returns with resolution, I wish console resources were going to 60fps ultra 1080p instead. I'm not even going to replace my 2560x1440 144hz gysnc screen for most of my PC gaming until I can reasonably buy enough GPU power for ~100fps at 4K native. I have a 10-bit 4K 42" display for the bedroom that I tried out briefly, but even with twin 1070s, the experience wasn't great. Dual GPU is not efficient enough to make it worthwhile, so I split them back up to HTPC + Gaming PC once again (replaced a 970 and R390, I briefly replaced the 390 with a 480, but it was incredibly underwhelming, so I doubt I'll buy another AMD GPU anytime soon).

But 30fps 4K, be it checkerboard or native, is almost a criminal waste of resources for many games. Whatever is 'good' at 30fps is far better at 60. 60fps to 100/120/144fps is another big leap, but not nearly as immediately noticeable as 30 to 60. Perhaps the upper limit would be something around 240fps for truly diminished returns., but I don't know of a display that scales that highly.

Going by that, what would be the ultimate 2D setup? Where moving beyond it wouldn't be noticeable?

64K resolution (64,440x34,560) on a 200" Wall-flush curved OLED (or better) 12-bit color 240hz display.
200FPS with maximum AA and fully accurate Vsync and no perceivable delay (sub 2ms)
400TF GPU with 2TB Dedicated Memory (HBM3 or GDDR6)
Hybrid Quad-Core 8Ghz CPU with 64-Core 4Ghz CPU (most games demand from 1 to 4 cores pretty highly, and scale poorly from there, but a ton of secondary cores could help with background OS/AI/MP/Networking/etc)
2TB Eight-Channel 4Ghz Main System Memory on 1024-bit Bus, for keeping entire OS/game in memory at all times

$299? :D LOL

Arkaign said:
But 30fps 4K, be it checkerboard or native, is almost a criminal waste of resources for many games.
Whatever is 'good' at 30fps is far better at 60.

PS4 Pro can't do 1080p 60fps of same games that PS4 og/slim does at 30fps.
It's not even about the GPU primarily but also the CPU, which Pro just boosted 30%.
Pro is not wasting resources that could have been used for 60fps games.
It is using resources it has for outcomes that are valuable: better FPS and res/FX.
We know little about Scorpion CPU, but it is plausible between upclock and Puma+
that it could have resources to run PS4 level games at 60 fps in 1080p or more.
Only when that option exists can you say they are wasting resources by prioritizing res.

4k1x3r said:
AsGryffynn said:

Wallow all you can, Scorpio superiority is undeniable. It's here to crush the competition... Of course, if you want to mention the release date advantage, go ahead. I am sure it won't last forever. 

Wowo someone's angry. I just mentioned your dream about a 400 price tag. The scorpio is superior, have I ever said the opposite? I'm just questionning the fact that it will cost 400. And for your information, for something you seem to root really hard for, it's funny that you think the only difference is the GPU... Kek, I'm out, this is silly.

Pricing included... Perhaps... 

In other words, if it does release a year after, odds are GPU costs will go down. Not to mention the Pro itself only obtained a boost to the graphics. Nothing tells us whether Scorpio will have the same or more stuff besides a stronger GPU as well...