By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 Slim or PS4 Pro?

PS4 Slim or PS4 Pro?

Go Slim! 50 16.18%

Go Pro! 214 69.26%

JUST DO IT!! 45 14.56%

Total:309

I'll need to see these consoles running true 4k before I believe it... the hardware just looks woefully inadequate for stable gaming at that level, and lord knows their claims of having stable 1080p gaming this gen didn't exactly pan out quite like they said it would.

Around the Network
Johnw1104 said:
I'll need to see these consoles running true 4k before I believe it... the hardware just looks woefully inadequate for stable gaming at that level, and lord knows their claims of having stable 1080p gaming this gen didn't exactly pan out quite like they said it would.

You're not getting true (I'm assuming you mean native render) 4k resolutions on any games on the PS4P, barring low overhead games and smaller indy titles. 

A $400 GTX 1070 (on top of the rest of the cost of the PC build) is about what you would need for 4k native render on most games, but at closer to 30fps than 60 for high overhead games. 

This is a $400 console. Totally different price range and performance levels. 

What potential buyers should be looking at once the tests come in is the post processing "smoothing" that Sony developed that is supposedly beyond simple upscaling. 

Anyone who watched the keynote or read about the tech feel free to jump in on the differences. 

greenmedic88 said:
Johnw1104 said:

You're not getting true (I'm assuming you mean native render) 4k resolutions on any games on the PS4P, barring low overhead games and smaller indy titles. 

A $400 GTX 1070 (on top of the rest of the cost of the PC build) is about what you would need for 4k native render on most games, but at closer to 30fps than 60 for high overhead games. 

This is a $400 console. Totally different price range and performance levels. 

What potential buyers should be looking at once the tests come in is the post processing "smoothing" that Sony developed that is supposedly beyond simple upscaling. 

Anyone who watched the keynote or read about the tech feel free to jump in on the differences. 

Yeah that's actually what I'm curious to see... essentially, does it look the part or have those ugly lines and such that happened when games attempted upscaling to 1080p. From what I've read the Pro is definitely not running native 4k and the Scorpio is rumored not to; if they're willing to push the price a tad higher it might not be IMPOSSIBLE, but I'd be surprised.

Even with gaming rigs that 1070 you mentioned is largely incapable of running many (if not most) games reliably at 4k resolution without a serious performance drop.

greenmedic88 said:
I'm finding the (thankfully) minority misinformation in this post regarding the PS4P a bit disturbing.

I don't know if this is a case of willful ignorance, or a thinly veiled attempt to discredit a product that any way you cut it offers good performance (due to the specs) relative to the $399 MSRP in order to deliberately mislead people who legitimately want to know the benefits.

But hey; it's an open forum. People can say whatever they want within the rules, even patently false information, just as people can call out other people based upon their forum posting history and preferences to see what their personal agenda is.

Still, I think it needs to be said.

I'm not sure which post you're referring to.

If you don't have the previous PS4 version, in my opinion, Slim is worthless becouse PRO is only 50-100 more expensive.

MEGADRIVE, SNES, SATURN, PS1, N64, DREAMCAST, PS2, GC, XBOX, X360, Wii, PS3, Wii U, PS4, XONE, GAME GEAR, GBP, GBA, NGAGE, GBAP, DS, PSP, 3DS, VITA.

Around the Network
zwei said:
If you don't have the previous PS4 version, in my opinion, Slim is worthless becouse PRO is only 50-100 more expensive.

For him wanting Uncharted 4 the Pro is 150$ more expensive though.

Radek said:
Uabit said:
If you don't have a 4k TV just go for the slim. PS4 Pro is a joke and in most games you won't notice the difference, they will run at 30fps.

Even the resolution boost PS4 pro provides for 4k TV owners is a joke, it's upscaled resolution.

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about, so stop talking bullshit ignorant disnformation.

Guys at Digital Foundry (Eurogamer) tested Pro enhancements in-depth and they say the 100% resolution boost (2715x1527) or just Two 1080p images upscaled to 4K using the checkerboard method look sharp and almost as good as real 4K. They even said the difference between that method and real 4K is smaller than 900p and 1080p difference between Xbox One and PS4.

PS4 Pro at 399$ is amazing deal, and it's 1TB by default as opoosed to 299$ Slim's 500GB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_D9iX9U40E

I'm so sick of ignorant people that are too lazy to do any research and just spit on PS4 Pro any chance they get. I saw your previous posts about Xbox One S doing the same quality of upscaling, and you praised it for being its cheaper and having UHD Blu-Ray. How ignorant can you be ? Educate yourself or stop posting bollocks.

Edit: There's isn't a full analysis yet, but in one of Forza Horizon 3 PC videos Richard of Digital Foundry said he was very dissapointed with Xbox One's S 4K upscaling in that game, he said it made the image very blurry. Xbox had to upscale 4 times 1080p image and it ended in blurry image (no suprise imo).

I've never said X1 slim's upscaling was as good as pro's but it's still upscaled 4k on a cheaper machine, with backwards compatibility and better online service... And UHD blu-ray player of course.

And keep in mind X1 S isn't even pro's competitor, that'll be Scorpio. 

Anyway i didn't know about the slim having 500gb, that's been my mistake for sure, in that case then is better to go for pro because a 1TB disk for the slim would be 50$ more. 

zwei said:

Not "worthless" as it will still play every PS4 game (supposedly), but it's more of a matter of cost savings vs. performance. If you buy U4 with a PS4P, it's $460 without a sale on the game, you buy the PS4S and it's $300 with U4. 

Personally, I don't see any reason to buy anything but the Pro at the asking price, but to the majority of the market, price matters. 

(your sig graphic reminded me I need to finish Life is Strange)

Mr.GameCrazy said:
greenmedic88 said:
I'm finding the (thankfully) minority misinformation in this post regarding the PS4P a bit disturbing.

I don't know if this is a case of willful ignorance, or a thinly veiled attempt to discredit a product that any way you cut it offers good performance (due to the specs) relative to the $399 MSRP in order to deliberately mislead people who legitimately want to know the benefits.

But hey; it's an open forum. People can say whatever they want within the rules, even patently false information, just as people can call out other people based upon their forum posting history and preferences to see what their personal agenda is.

Still, I think it needs to be said.

I'm not sure which post you're referring to.

I'm not calling anyone out specifically, but if anyone implies there's no benefit to the significant hardware update in the PS4P, it's just plain disingenuous at worst, ignorant at best. 

Playstation 4 Pro :P