By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 Slim or PS4 Pro?

PS4 Slim or PS4 Pro?

Go Slim! 50 16.18%

Go Pro! 214 69.26%

JUST DO IT!! 45 14.56%

Total:309

Initially, I wasn't interested in getting a PS4 when I was considering getting a PS Vita nearly 2 years ago (iirc it was due to its price), but I've been really wanting one lately, especially since Sony's E3 press conference this year (which was awesome imo). There are some exclusives I would like to get like the Uncharted games, God of War III, Infamous Second Son, and Gravity Rush 2 (enjoyed the first one on the Vita a lot). 

The only thing I'm not so sure about is whether I should go for the PS4 Slim or the PS4 Pro (especially since I don’t currently have a PS4). What do you think? Here's a list of Pros and Cons I have for both systems:

PS4 Slim:

Pros:

• It costs $300, which is $100 cheaper than the Pro ($160 if there was no game bundled with it)
  • Includes Uncharted 4, which is one of the games I'm interested in

Cons:

• Not as powerful as the PS4 Pro
  • Has half as much storage space as the Pro

PS4 Pro

Pros:

• Twice as powerful as the PS4 Slim
  • Has twice as much storage space as the Slim
  • Will have enhanced versions of upcoming games (like Horizon Zero Dawn) and games already out (like InFAMOUS First Light) with improvements like higher resolutions, improved performance, and improved graphics (depending on developer of each game)
Cons:
  • It is $400, which is $100 more expensive than the PS4 Slim
  • I don't have a 4K monitor, but I have a 1080p one.
  • No game is included with the PS4 Pro.
Edit: I have another question. Besides the ones I already mentioned on here, what other games do you recommend?

Around the Network

If you don't have a PS4 yet, you might as well get the PS4 PRO its just $100 more and is more powerful than the PS4. That's my opinion.

Hiku said:
Well I would buy a Pro if I hadn't already bought a PS4 earlier this year, simply because I'd like the (presumably) more stable framerates and graphical enhancements to games like FFXV.
I don't care about the 4k thing as I won't get a 4K tv for a few years at least.

I don't really care that much about 4K either. I would rather see more performance inprovements and some graphical improvements than just 4K upscaling (though that depends on the developer of each game).

whit a 1TB HD model, you can pick a Ps4 pro for just a extra $ 50! PS4 pro is the easy choice here, IMHO.

PS4 Pro, 400 is well worth it imo.

Edit: plenty of games out there you can get on the cheap, but if you don't really care about upcoming games being better on the Pro then get the slim instead. 

Around the Network
NobleTeam360 said:

PS4 Pro, 400 is well worth it imo.

Edit: plenty of games out there you can get on the cheap, but if you don't really care about upcoming games being better on the Pro then get the slim instead. 

Yeah. If I recall, some games I'm interested in cost $20 right now (like The Last of Us, God of War III, and Infamous Second Son). 

To an extent, I actually do care about games being better on the Pro, but it's more towards performance than graphical enhancements.

Hiku said:
Manlytears said:
whit a 1TB HD model, you can pick a Ps4 pro for just a extra $ 50! PS4 pro is the easy choice here, IMHO.

Is the Slim for $300 just 500 GB? If so, then yeah that would have made the choice a lot easier for me.

Yes it is. It also includes Uncharted 4.

Go for the slim. You said you want the games. Sure the performance is better on the Pro but in the end, that is just minor little details and you don't have a HDR 4K tv. If you want the games themselves and don't care about the bells and whistles, get the Slim.

For the price of the Pro, you could get the slim and 5 of those $20 games. That would be most of the games you want outside of new ones coming.

Hiku said:
Mr.GameCrazy said:

Yes it is. It also includes Uncharted 4.

Ah yeah, I just checked Amazon. You do get Uncharted 4 though. But unless you're in a hurry to play it, it's price will come down.
About the harddrive though, let me put it this way. I only own two full games for PS4 (Street Fighter V and Persona 5) and my harddrive is already down to 600 GB left. Sure I have a bunch of clips saved from the Share feature that I'm going to trim and upload to Youtube when I'm not lazy, and demos, that I can delete to clear space. But I would feel uncomfortable not having that buffer. Especially considering all the games I will get (most physical, some digital), and the huge update patches that tend to happen. SFV's latest update was 7 GB, and the previous one was 12 GB: (Not my screenshot)

Yeah. I remember seeing big patch sizes for Battlefield 3 were. If I recall, it was set up in a way where if there were any changes to a map, you basically redownload it for the patch

Manlytears said:

I agree. The extra space is definitely a huge plus. If the Pro had a 500 GB option, I think it would cost $350.