By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 2016: Worst year of gaming EVER?

Persona 5 released in 2016. Best year of gaming for a long time confirmed.

(Final Fantasy XV or even The Last Guardian too for the long awaited ones, and you have Uncharted 4, Doom, Deus Ex and a lot of others for the great games...)

Around the Network

One of the best for me. My ps3/ps4 combination has been godly.

1983 was the worst, in America at least.
Also, pretty good games this year. I am having a lot of fun. And, also again, there so many games in our backlogs, we could use a slow year to catch up =)

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

I agree with CaptainExplosion, its not the worst year but it certainly has been disappointing/less than stellar.

2017 hopefully/finally looks like a year of potentially great games though, but also the year isn't done yet, it has time to redeem itself. :D

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

When I was talking about Persona 5 releasing this year earlier, I forgot to talk about Zero Escape 3 and the announced Steins;Gate 0. Awesome year in fact :D

Around the Network

No. The worst year is when console market crashed. Yamauchi had to jump through hoops to get retailers to carry the NES.

qwertyDANIELqwerty said:
DirtyP2002 said:
It is ridiculous that you mention Microsoft games coming to windows PC as an argument for a bad year in gaming.
You lost your credibility right there.

Even if it stayed on xbox, they have had only one game this year, which was Quantum Break.

One exclusive (which is also on PC anyway) is a joke.

why does it matter if its exclusive or not? Serious question

I couldnt disagree more lol, so many great games came out this year, a lot of which i wanna play and i just cant because there is just too many of them.

Definitely worse than in the early 80s when there were barely any good games out there!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

BraLoD said:
axumblade said:

Worst in recent times..

The last of us is not my type of game. Bioshock infinite was good. GTA V was a lot better than IV. Legend of Zelda and Sly Cooper are good. I like Pokemon but since a new one comes out every other year its hardly a major occurance. And then we also had poor attempts to cash in on late generation spinoffs and prequels. Then there were mehtastic launch titles at best for the next gen. 

How was that worse than other years in recent times?
The amount of high quality games released on 2013 is hardly matched by any other year, there were great games from a lot of franchises and genres.
2013 was definitely one of the very best years we had.

The Last of Us
- This was a really good game and the best game made by Naughty Dog.
GTA V -  It was awesome and is one of my favourite open world games ever made.

Bioshoch Infinite
Assassin's Creed IV - It is one of the best Assassin's Creed games and was really fun.
Rayman Legends
Disgaea D2
Pokemon X/Y
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Super Mario 3D World
Pikmin 3
Gran Turismo 6 - My favourite sim racing game. I still play it, a massive improvement over its predecessor.
God of War Ascension - One of the most underrated games of the year and last generation. It was an awesome game and very well made. The combat was improved and graphics are the best on PS3. No review mentioned the improvements. The multiplayer was also fun.
DMC Devil May Cry - A really fun hack and slash game and underrated by fans. My favourite Devil May Cry game and one of the best games of the year.

Ni no Kuni
Sly Cooper
Metal Gear Rising - Very unique and awesome combat mechanics in a game that has pacing issues, poor level design and difficulty spikes. Still worth playing for the combat which is incredibly fun.

Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3
Tomb Raider - An awesome game with good shooting mechanics and fun exploration. It was really good.

Don't Starve/Rouge Legacy/Guacamelle/Spelunky/Dragon's Crown/Path of Exile
Metro Last Light (not a personal favorite, tho)
Resident Evil Revelations
Tales of Xilia
Final Fantasy XIV ARR
Batman Arkham Origins - A fun game that wasn't as good as its predecessors but was worth playing.
Gears of War Judgement - This game was fine.

Tearaway

Bolded are the games I played in your list. It was a really good year and there are more games that year that were high quality.

axumblade said:
BraLoD said:

How was that worse than other years in recent times?
The amount of high quality games released on 2013 is hardly matched by any other year, there were great games from a lot of franchises and genres.
2013 was definitely one of the very best years we had.

God of War Ascension - disappointing

What part of my opinion do you not get? A lot of those games fall into the spinoff and prequel areas. Some I just have no interest in. Some fell short of my expectations 

Why was Ascension a disappointment? I don't understand why so many other fans dislike it when I thought it was one of the best games of the year and another worthy addition to the series.