By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS Hints At Scorpio Being Cheaper Than People Think

Mr Puggsly said:
LurkerJ said:

Are they, really?

Pro will be one year old and probably cheaper than it is now. The lead PS4 family will have over the X1 family, by the time the scorpio releases, will be too big for the scorpio to mend, if it does any mending.

I think people wanna believe PS4 Pro is as good as it gets at $399. No UHD and 4 teraflops. But we'll see next year.

Isn't the actual problem what MS has to offer beyond price and performance? Most people will not give a shit if something is 4k upscaled or natively rendered because frankly most people don't know the difference. And looking around, most console gamers also don't give ashit about frame rates. So what's there beyond that? So far MS hasn't captured people with their exclusives and I don't think that will massively change with Scorpio.

I would preorder the Scorpio instantly if it had the amount of PS4 exclusive games that I want to play, but it doesn't and I know I don't have to hold my breath for it.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Snoopy said:
cesarmgc said:
Scorpio 399$?? O.o Are you ok guys, Do you know the cost of an development for new tech Right now?, and then in the next year with new tech, another dev for more tech? for 399?...

You realize there is already gpu that performs about twice as much as the xbox one scorpio, right? 

Yeah.. and those graphic cards cost around $900 over here. So what is your point?

drkohler said:
Snoopy said:

You realize there is already gpu that performs about twice as much as the xbox one scorpio, right? 

Yeah.. and those graphic cards cost around $900 over here. So what is your point?

By next year, it will be about 800 dollars. If we factor in MS buying a bundle of these gpu it will be about 600 dollars. See how that works son?

EricHiggin said:
Hard to tell this early.

At E3, Phil seemed to stress "premium price", and all of MS has backed that up since. It also makes sense in the fact that MS may be trying to cater to the high and low end of the console market, because PS clearly has the mid-tier level all locked up.

It depends a lot on what "premium" means exactly to MS. PS said numerous times that Pro would be a premium product at a premium price point. PS clearly thinks $399 means premium. Its possible based on that, Scorpio could perhaps be $399 as well, but that would almost guarantee the cpu is jaguar again like in the Pro.

I am willing to bet MS charges minimum $499 just like the original XOne price. Even with all the backlash and hatred thrown at MS, the XOne still sold very well. Not PS4 well, but much better than the 360 did when it launched. If MS can try the same approach this time, minus the DRM and Kinect, and add much higher spec'd components as compared to the Pro (excavator or zen cpu) the Scorpio should sell much much better than XOne did.

If MS sells Scorpio any higher than $499, they will immediately lose a lot of early adopters, unless they throw in a bunch of AAA titles or free Live service for a year or two in a bundle. I don't see that happening. Odds are good that Scorpio will be $499 (even if MS has to eat $50 to $100) and Pro will remain at $399 but will come in a bundle with a game or two, just like how PS4 did a year after launch.

The main problem here is that original Xbox One despite all DRM and always online controversies had some advantages which Scorpio won't have:

- The good image of Xbox brand in people's mind after 360

- It had a lot of exclusive games. (So even PC gamers bought XOne just for these games)

So, it will be really hard for Scorpio to sell better than original XOne

Snoopy said:
cesarmgc said:
Scorpio 399$?? O.o Are you ok guys, Do you know the cost of an development for new tech Right now?, and then in the next year with new tech, another dev for more tech? for 399?...

M$ Didnt expect Ps4Pro this year, for that Scorpio will be a secuel of xbox one! that's for sure maybe Xbox Two...

Which GPU is that? It was only a few days ago you were saying the Scorpio would perform akin to a 9 - 10tf PC, but i'm not aware of any 20tf GPU's :p

Around the Network

Doesn't matter what MS are going to sell the Scorpio for, the PS4 pro will always be the cheaper of the two.

The PS4/PS4 pro with a year head start and leading this gen comfortably

Zekkyou said:
Snoopy said:

Which GPU is that? It was only a few days ago you were saying the Scorpio would perform akin to a 9 - 10tf PC, but i'm not aware of any 20tf GPU's :p

I know you are being sarcastic.

But you can have a 20 Teraflop PC configuration. 
* You just need four Radeon 290X's in Crossfire which is 22.4 Teraflops.
* Two Radeon Pro Duo's in Crossfire would give you 32.6 Teraflops.
* Three Fury X GPU's would give you 25.8 Teraflops.
* You can also do 20 Teraflops with four Radeon 480's.

Any Radeon 480, 390, 390X, Fury, Nano, Fury X, Radeon Pro Duo, 295 X2, 290, 290X, 7990, 6990 in a Dual-GPU configuration can hit 10 Teraflops or more.

Vega is likely to do anywhere from 6-10 Teraflops for a single GPU...

But this undermines the entire issue at hand. Despite many of these configurations having roughly the same theoretical "flop" number, in the real world they do and can perform vastly differently for various reasons and thus flops is not an accurate denominator for gauging the complete capabilities of a graphics processing unit.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Mr Puggsly said:
LurkerJ said:

Are they, really?

Pro will be one year old and probably cheaper than it is now. The lead PS4 family will have over the X1 family, by the time the scorpio releases, will be too big for the scorpio to mend, if it does any mending.

I think people wanna believe PS4 Pro is as good as it gets at $399. No UHD and 4 teraflops. But we'll see next year.

Relative to release date (and without significant losses on the manufactures end), it's likely pretty close. The Scorpio could very well end up being $400 too, but that would (at least in an isolated comparison) prove the point. If something has to wait a year to cost $400 and be more powerful, then it was clearly more than they could previously offer for $400. If it costs more than $400, then the point is doubled down.

Pemalite said:
Zekkyou said:

I know you are being sarcastic.

But you can have a 20 Teraflop PC configuration. 
* You just need four Radeon 290X's in Crossfire which is 22.4 Teraflops.
* Two Radeon Pro Duo's in Crossfire would give you 32.6 Teraflops.
* Three Fury X GPU's would give you 25.8 Teraflops.
* You can also do 20 Teraflops with four Radeon 480's.

Any Radeon 480, 390, 390X, Fury, Nano, Fury X, Radeon Pro Duo, 295 X2, 290, 290X, 7990, 6990 in a Dual-GPU configuration can hit 10 Teraflops or more.

Vega is likely to do anywhere from 6-10 Teraflops for a single GPU...

But this undermines the entire issue at hand. Despite many of these configurations having roughly the same theoretical "flop" number, in the real world they do and can perform vastly differently for various reasons and thus flops is not an accurate denominator for gauging the complete capabilities of a graphics processing unit.

I know there are configurations that can hit the overall mark, as it happens i was building this ( http://imgur.com/DXvvKv7 ) today, which would hit around 16.5tf (or at least the base versions would, these's ones are slightly clocked up).

His wording though (coupled with other replies, and his discussion with CGI in the thread i was referencing) implies he was referring to a single GPU. Both here and in that other thread though he was actually referring to performance (which makes everything much more complicated, both because of the reason you noted, and because SLI isn't 100% efficient), so i was replying relative to his previous estimate for what the Scorpio would be capable of, versus whatever PC he was imagining in the world where flops made for perfectly linear comparisons. 

In order for Scorpio to be $399, MS will have to eat $100 to $200 on every console sold. Its hard to say how much they will have to subsidize, but I'm being generous no doubt. It could be more.

Pro was able to sell at $399 because PS didn't get AMD to modify the CPU or GPU used this time around. In PS4, PS had AMD modify Jaguar and Pitcairn to match what they required. This time for Pro, the same Jaguar cores in the PS4 are used, they are just using AMD's new 14/16nm tech now, which allows the bump in clock speed. The GPU however is not Pitcairn, it is AMD's newest 14/16nm Polaris tech, without modifications. The only semi-custom part is that Jaguar and Polaris are fabbed together on an APU, which is not a stock AMD chip. Polaris being a mid-range GPU and the fact that it was fairly easy to slap Jaguar and Polaris together is why Pro is so cheap.

People couldn't believe that AMD's new Polaris 480 graphics cards were only msrp $199. The reason for this is because Pro is using this exact same chip (down clocked to 911 MHz) so due to the high volume mass production, that chip can be much less expensive. This benefits AMD as well as PS overall. You also have to take into account that PS doesn't pay AMD $199 for each GPU. PS only requires the chip itself, not everything else that comes on the PCB that makes up the $199 price. PS designs their own PCB for PS consoles, and simply mounts the chip to the board. The cost per GPU chip is much much less than $199. This is the same for MS. They design their own PCB, and just buy the GPU chip from AMD.

A similar situation will most likely happen with Scorpio. MS will probably use one of the Vega GPU's (even if its a cut down version at a lower clock rate) and this will help lower the cost of that specific GPU model for AMD and MS overall. The difference will be in the fact that Vega is not mid-tier, its high end. This will make the lowest, cheapest version of Vega $100 to $200 more than the best Polaris GPU. This is why Scorpio will cost a minimum of $499. At that price MS could potentially break even, maybe. They may have to eat $50 to $100 to get it to a $499 price point though.