By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Free from the shackles of Xbox One, Rise of the Tomb Raider is doing incredible things with PS4 Pro

Free from the shackles of Xbox One, Rise of the Tomb Raider is doing incredible things with PS4 Pro

"You can go for a high frame rate – so if you’re going at 1080p on a PS4 Pro you can run with an unlocked frame rate. So instead of being just at 30 you can run north of 45 frames or better. It’s one of those things that, when you start playing it, it’s great for those speed runners and those hardcore gamers who are just like ‘I want to get through this as quick as I can, I want seamless controls’.

Then you’re like… this is a beautiful area, I want to take a closer look, you can slide over a notch and now we have enhanced visuals. That’s actually 1080p locked at 30 frames but we throw everything in that we can – lighting, multi-pass rendering, texture shading, reflections, density of pixels, density of particle effects… everything we can turn on. It’s just this beautiful-looking experience at a locked 1080p, 30 frames.

Then you go to 4K. Suddenly there’s things in the world that with this ratchet up in crispness and clarity that you just couldn’t see before. Something on the horizon that used to be a blob of kind of grey shadow on the hillside is now a very crisp outline of a ruin with a cross on top of it. It has some sunlight poking through a hole and trees way off in the distance, and you honestly couldn’t have seen that before, it would’ve just faded off and dropped to a low resolution – but now you can see it. That does have this ratcheting effect on the immersion and on the ‘oh my god, I’m actually there’ experience."

https://www.vg247.com/2016/09/15/free-from-the-shackles-of-xbox-one-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-is-doing-incredible-things-with-ps4-pro/

Personal Comment:  I'm not a Tomb Raider fan, but I would love to see this sort of application to all PS4 games moving forward being a 1080p HDTV owner.

Around the Network

Sounds awesome! I can't wait to see the comparisons!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Yeah, I hope having these options becomes the norm for all PS4 Pro games.

The modern Tomb Raider is just sad. I regard them as dumbed down interactive movies. Visually very pleasing though.

I would love to see TR on PS4 Pro running on a 4k TV. It looks great on the X1 already

Great news. But I've lost interest in this. I got 2013 free with ps plus and enjoyed it for what it was. may have gotten this at launch last year but after playing uncharted 4 I don't feel the itch to pay full price for this.

Either I'll get it free on ps plus or I'll get it for under $20 on a psn sale. I'll probably have a 4k TV by then so there will be a lot of options available to me.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:

The modern Tomb Raider is just sad. I regard them as dumbed down interactive movies. Visually very pleasing though.

Really? TR 2013 or whatever was really good

theprof00 said:
Slimebeast said:

In my opinion no. I argue that it satisfies people on a superficial level, but by the gameplay being so smooth and automatic, and by removing nearly all challenge the gamer's effort is dull and passive.

You basically just point the stick forward. The platforming is extremely simple and it's almost impossible to miss a jump and fall. The path to every target is painted in white and if you still can't find your way there's eagle vision. The survival mechanics and XP-system were meaningless and unneeded, just cosmetics to make the player feel rewarded.

Tomb Raider doesn't require you to think or to use barely any of your skills and reflexes. You just stare at the screen and instinctively follow what's ordered without your brain being focused on the task.

Should a game almost play by itself and instead use cynical tricks to make you feel like you accomplished something (modern game makers are extremely aware of how people's reward system works)? Shouldn't a game require challenge more than just the basics of moving a stick and pressing the attack buton?

I think Tomb Raider was good as an interactive experience, but not good as a game.

Slimebeast said:
theprof00 said:

In my opinion no. I argue that it satisfies people on a superficial level, but by the gameplay being so smooth and automatic, and by removing nearly all challenge the gamer's effort is dull and passive.

You basically just point the stick forward. The platforming is extremely simple and it's almost impossible to miss a jump and fall. The path to every target is painted in white and if you still can't find your way there's eagle vision. The survival mechanics and XP-system were meaningless and unneeded, just cosmetics to make the player feel rewarded.

Tomb Raider doesn't require you to think or to use barely any of your skills and reflexes. You just stare at the screen and instinctively follow what's ordered without your brain being focused on the task.

Should a game almost play by itself and instead use cynical tricks to make you feel like you accomplished something (modern game makers are extremely aware of how people's reward system works)? Shouldn't a game require challenge more than just the basics of moving a stick and pressing the attack buton?

I think Tomb Raider was good as an interactive experience, but not good as a game.

Or you can just see the difficulty higher lol. They're both great games. And I thought we moved past the ridiculous notion of calling games interactive movies. 

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Maybe this is exactly what Pro mode means.

One setting fir 1080p@+30fps+hdr
One setting for 1080p@30fps locked with tons of eye candy+HDR
One setting for PS4pro 4k optimized (that is basically 4k checkerboard with as much of the eye candy you could carry over +HDR)

Can't really think of any reason why most devs won't make their PS4pro support work that way.

They're doing everything they can to save Rottr. Yet after TR 2013 it's on my long term list, discount or 2nd hand purchase. I might have gotten it if it was $40, certainly not paying CAD 80 for it. (X1 version is CAD 50 new)