By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - SMD64: AMD confirms 1 unannounced gaming semi-custom design win. Surely it must be NX

What is NX?

Nvidia handheld only 39 17.41%

AMD handheld only 10 4.46%

AMD console only 41 18.30%

Nvidia handheld + AMD console 71 31.70%

Other 37 16.52%

NA/Undecided 26 11.61%

Total:224

Here's what I think in light of these new information ... 

DMP has announced that their delivering a new chipset for a customer in the first half of 2017 and I think their IP is going to house Nintendo's new portable and I think this could potentiall allow Nintendo to deliver backwards compatibility with the 3DS/new 3DS ... 

Did AMD's CTO, Mark Papermaster really say or even imply that they were ALL GAMING wins ? We at least know their NOT talking about SLIMs! If Nintendo does deliver a new console then it is most probably AMD ... 

Around the Network
Slarvax said:
I thought those AMD wins were systems releasing this year: XBO Slim, PS4 Slim, PS4 Pro.

It turns out that isn't true when Mark Papermaster mentioned project Scorpio together with PS4 Pro ... 

It looks like we'll take this as another future reference, Slim versions are NOT NEW semi-custom designs, the only new about them is that their ported on new transistor technology ... 

Slarvax said:
I thought those AMD wins were systems releasing this year: XBO Slim, PS4 Slim, PS4 Pro.

According to AMD their wins are the PS4 Pro and the Scorpio. XBO Slim and PS4 Slim aren't new designs. I never understood why people tried to apply the semi-custom wins to those platforms. They are just classic slim models. 

The third could be the XBox One S, the guy doesn't specifically say the third one will be for next year, just that MS and Sony recently announced two of them.

Nvidia is generally better than AMD at everything. Performance per watt, bandwidth usage (hugely important for a portable), and Nvidia has better mobile chip knowledge with Tegra, AMD does not make anything that functions well in a fan-less form factor. The only thing is Nvidia charges more, but with Tegra they like were desperate and gave Nintendo a great deal so their only con is moot in this case.

That said, I think it doesn't really matter in the end, I don't think NX is going to be some power house console (what ever configuration it has, mobile or not).

If we're lucky it'll be moderately better than a PS4, but that's not going to impress the people who already like Sony/MS into switching camps, not even close, and unlikely it's competitive with Scorpio. The multiplatform games will likely perform like crap with a "in between" system (not as good as the high end Sony/MS stuff), and those developers will then bail.

A hybrid platform would at least give Nintendo an option for being different and not having to compete head on with Sony/MS, which they are terrible at.

Darc Requiem said:
Slarvax said:

According to AMD their wins are the PS4 Pro and the Scorpio. XBO Slim and PS4 Slim aren't new designs. I never understood why people tried to apply the semi-custom wins to those platforms. They are just classic slim models. 

Pretty sure the XBox One S at least is a fairly custom design, even the performance is improved, albiet not but much, but it wasn't MS' intention to change the performance too much. 

Here AMD congratulates MS on two new consoles using AMD semi-custom designs ... (XBox Scorpio and XBox One S)

The original XBox One cannot display HDR graphics, the new XBox One S can because of a different chipset. Even if the power difference is small, that still likely is a new chip. If it was just a die shrink then the old XBox One should be able to handle HDR graphics via firmware update like the PS4 does, but that isn't the case. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Darc Requiem said:

Pretty sure the XBox One S at least is a fairly custom design, even the performance is improved, albiet not but much, but it wasn't MS' intention to change the performance too much. 

Here AMD congratulates MS on two new consoles using AMD semi-custom designs ... (XBox Scorpio and XBox One S)

That means nothing. The tweet just states that the XBon One S and Scorpio are powered by AMD. The Xbox One S is just a die shrink. That's not a new semi custom win. The PS4 Pro and Scorpio both feature new designs. 

Darc Requiem said:
Soundwave said:

That means nothing. The tweet just states that the XBon One S and Scorpio are powered by AMD. The Xbox One S is just a die shrink. That's not a new semi custom win. The PS4 Pro and Scorpio both feature new designs. 

It's not a die shrink when it has more processing power (albiet not a massive amount) for HDR gaming. 

The old XBox One cannot do HDR due to its hardware. 

New semi-custom design doesn't neccessarily have to mean massively more powerful. 

IMO wouldn't surprise me at all if AMD is being a little disingenious here because they want shareholders to think they still have Nintendo's business. 

Soundwave said:
Darc Requiem said:

It's not a die shrink when it has more processing power (albiet not a massive amount) for HDR gaming. 

New semi-custom design doesn't neccessarily have to mean massively more powerful. 

IMO wouldn't surprise me at all if AMD is being a little disingenious here because they want shareholders to think they still have Nintendo's business. 

Not trying to be condescending here, but do you know what a die shrink is?

Soundwave said:

All of the Xbox One S's boost in power has to do with it's higher clock, not it's new design ... 

And your last line is inquiry worthy ... 

Darc Requiem said:
Soundwave said:

Not trying to be condescending here, but do you know what a die shrink is?

They went from 28nm to 16nm, no? We don't know what AMD defines as "semi-custom" design either, they're desperate for anything to throw at their shareholders because they are sinking as a business. I would not put it past them to cite XBox One S as one of their semi-custom wins. 

Let me ask you this, if AMD is involved with the Nintendo NX, don't you find it a little odd that even SuperMetalDave64 cannot find one source that links AMD to Nintendo NX? I think he tried to say Nicowav is saying NX is more powerful than PS4, but even that I think he was stretching it and even Nicowav apparently said Nvidia is the chip supplier to NX. 

Even with NDAs, someone could easily just say "Eurogamer's report is bullshit". No one reputable has done that. In fact it's been cross corraborated by like 4 or 5 other major sources. 

Polaris is just what SMD64 desperately wants, there's no actual evidence linking it to the NX whatsoever. Even 10k on NeoGaf who was one of the biggest backers of that theory recently backed off it and admitted the Nvidia Tegra stuff is legit. 

I get wanting a decently performing Nintendo console, but really who the fuck is buying a system that isn't quite as good as Neo and not close to the Scorpio ... like which people outside of the same group of 15 million Nintendo fans would get all hot and bothered by that proposition in 2017?