By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - SMD64: AMD confirms 1 unannounced gaming semi-custom design win. Surely it must be NX

What is NX?

Nvidia handheld only 39 17.41%

AMD handheld only 10 4.46%

AMD console only 41 18.30%

Nvidia handheld + AMD console 71 31.70%

Other 37 16.52%

NA/Undecided 26 11.61%

Total:224

And this goes to show, yet again, that you always should take romurs with a mountain of salt.People were already taling the Nvidia hybrid concept as fact, and surprise surprise, it may not be it.At this point, I just read the rumors because its fun, but I dont believe in any of them.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
derpysquirtle64 said:
Game_God said:
I believe that NX is more than just 1 hardware, more like a platform, with a home console being revealed soon (AMD) & a handheld later on (DMP).

I remember Nintendo talking about NX being not one device but family of devices. I think NX console (Wii U successor) will be released in March and handheld (3DS successor) will be released somewhere around 2017 holiday season

Nintendo year after that also said they are not sure about NX will be one device or multiply or about form factor, and all infos we having point that RX is hybrid device.

Game_God said:
Miyamotoo said:

Well point of unified platform with multiple devices is to have same architecture not difrent ones.

The API, Vulkan is the same...

API and Vulkan are not hardware architecture.

Game_God said:

Got this link from someone commenting on SMD video you posted:

It's from the Developper Interface from Nintendo post update... what is this Platform called 4K??? 1st time I hear of it!!!

Making things look low res is an old troll tactic. I'm more than sure that most devs mac pros can take normal quality screenshots.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Lol. Nope. We know that NX is Nvidia. AMD's third semi-custom design can be everything, but not NX.

cycycychris said:
I use to watch some an occasional SMD video after his leak. But now every time I see one of his videos I roll my eyes, everyone of them is how he is going to prove the world its a polaris and not a tegra. He sounds so delusional in most his videos.

this^

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
FunFan said:

On the other hand AMD haven't been doing that well in the performance-per-watt department for a while as both, intel and nvidia have been able to outperform AMD with more energy efficient designs. Things keeps geting more interesting

That's true, the most powerful AMD APU currently available that uses the same amount of power as Tegra X1 (15 watts) is only 300 gflops to Tegra's 500 gflops. Maybe AMD has something secret in the works that combines some Zen based mobile CPU cores with some Polaris GPU cores. 

nVidia Flops doesn't equate to AMD's Flops.

And to be fair, AMD hasn't exactly debuted a low-power 14/16nm SoC yet either.

And for the record, AMD has APU's with a TDP of 15w and with (a pointless metric) 776 Gflop graphics processor, backed by four 2.7ghz - 3.6ghz Excavator cores, Carizzo has also shown us that AMD can be competitive as well.

AMD also has the upcoming Raven Ridge APU set to drop in 2017 derived from Zen, Graphics Core Next 4.0 and with DDR4 support and will likely scale down to similar power levels.

shikamaru317 said:

Xbox One S's power all comes from an overclock, nothing was changed aside from a die-shrink, so I'm pretty sure AMD isn't talking about it when they say they have 3 semi-custom design wins.

There were a few changes in the video block on the Xbox One S though, enabling support for new shiny things like HEVC, so they did make some changes to that chip other than just the move to a smaller process and overclock it.
Not sure how Microsoft pulled off HDR either, whether that is done via fixed-function hardware etc'. Need more info on that point.

Soundwave said:
Nvidia is generally better than AMD at everything. Performance per watt, bandwidth usage (hugely important for a portable), and Nvidia has better mobile chip knowledge with Tegra, AMD does not make anything that functions well in a fan-less form factor. The only thing is Nvidia charges more, but with Tegra they like were desperate and gave Nintendo a great deal so their only con is moot in this case.

At the moment sure, nVidia certainly does have the edge in everything, except well... Price.
AMD has shown that it's hardware shines in more forward-focused games that utilise newer technology, like Async Compute.

Expect the landscape to change once Direct X 12 and Vulkan become more prevelent in games.

Miyamotoo said:
shikamaru317 said:

It's definitely possible. An AMD mobile chipset would probably be cheaper than Tegra since AMD is desperate for deals and Nvidia isn't.

Actualy it seems that Nvidia is also desperate for win on console gaming market.

I don't think nVidia is desperate for a design win.
But they really do wish to push Tegra harder so they can diversify and become less reliant on the PC for profits.

Game_God said:

It's from the Developper Interface from Nintendo post update... what is this Platform called 4K??? 1st time I hear of it!!!

Playstation 4 the only console not to play back 4k Blu-Ray's confirmed? :P
Take that image with a pinch of salt though.

Miyamotoo said:
Game_God said:

The API, Vulkan is the same...

API and Vulkan are not hardware architecture.

Part of the entire point of an Abstraction layer (API) is to make the hardware architecture irrellevent.
It's how the PC has been able to retain backwards compatability with it's software despite multiple architecture paradigm shifts over the years.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

SMD64 is still clinging to the NX using AMD, eh? We'll see how that it'll turn out.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:

SMD64 is still clinging to the NX using AMD, eh? We'll see how that it'll turn out.

He's not the only one. There's quite a large number of people who believes that the NX home console is powered by AMD, inclusive of HNF and OJ of PlayerEssence.

It was looking shaky for a while but this is great news for the normal console/SMD camp.

The context is clear -first a statement regarding gaming consoles then followed up with "IN FACT" the 2 out of "THE" 3 (MSony) "GAME CONSOLE PARTNERS", meaning 1 more UNANNOUNCED gaming design win, and who else would be part of "THE THREE GAME CONSOLE PARTNERS". Could not be clearer, Nintendo is the obvious leftt.

This audio is far more tangible than anything toon face or Eurogamer have "leaked".

Is it possibly the PS4Slim?