By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why the Scorpio will sell for no more than $399 (if its 6tflops).

Will the Scorpio sell for no more than $399 (if its 6Tflops).

Yes. Technology progresse... 117 29.77%

No. Its simply too expens... 276 70.23%

Total:393

It will be 399 or 449... because otherwise Microsoft is going dooown.

Of course everything will be getting less costly in a year from now.

Hunting Season is done...

Around the Network
Zoombael said:

Pssst.. i have a little secret for you: Pretty much everything will be more costly a year from now.

The days of chinese laborers working for $100 a month are long gone. Salaries rise, even in China. Shipping costs currently are very low, they are likely to increase again in the future. Raw materials increase in price, too.

Microsoft is not going down at whatever price. I can now walk into a MediaMarkt and buy the Fifa17 Slim S bundle for $249. That's $249 including taxes and store margin. This gives you a rough idea of just how much money MS is willing to throw down the pit.

I feel it would sell at a serious loss at $399, simply because MS can't just give the CPU a boosts, otherwise the 6 TFLOPs mean nothing. I'm thinking more along the line of $499 at the least.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

DialgaMarine said:
I feel it would sell at a serious loss at $399, simply because MS can't just give the CPU a boosts, otherwise the 6 TFLOPs mean nothing. I'm thinking more along the line of $499 at the least.

You really think a 2013 Jaguar is the pinnacle of CPU technology and can't be improved on in 4 years? 

C'mon. 

Even just with the time difference, MS should be able to get something a lot better for 2017 for the same cost as the Jaguar chip circa 2013. 

4 years is a long fucking time in technology cycles. That's the difference between a XBox and a XBox 360. 

To be honest if you had told be in 2013 "well here's the PS4 specs, what do you think a console released in 2017 would look like"

6 TFLOP+, 16GB of RAM, way better CPU would've been my guess back then, just because it's natural for technology to scale down in cost and for better tech to come around. 

To be honest I think 6 TFLOP even is on the low side, I think MS could push it to 7 TFLOP+ if they're willing to go all out. 

drkohler said:
Zoombael said:

Pssst.. i have a little secret for you: Pretty much everything will be more costly a year from now.

The days of chinese laborers working for $100 a month are long gone. Salaries rise, even in China. Shipping costs currently are very low, they are likely to increase again in the future. Raw materials increase in price, too.

Microsoft is not going down at whatever price. I can now walk into a MediaMarkt and buy the Fifa17 Slim S bundle for $249. That's $249 including taxes and store margin. This gives you a rough idea of just how much money MS is willing to throw down the pit.

I think ive heard that for some years now. True or not, how much it is going to influence prices for end consumer is a whole different story. Nobody guessed 3-5 years ago UHD TVs are going to be this cheap by 2016.

Not going down at whatever price? Lol. Dream on. Microsoft cant afford it to throw a console for 600~ on the market. And i know what a MediaMarkt is. There are three in my town.

299 euro aint 249 dollar btw. 

at least according to what we can see here...

http://www.mediamarkt.de/de/product/_xbox-one-s-500gb-konsole-fifa-17-bundle-xbox-one-konsolen-2168311.html

Hunting Season is done...

Around the Network

6 tflop 399 in 2017 I can believe it, no problem. The 480x has what ? 5.5 Tflop ?

Zoombael said

299 euro aint 249 dollar btw. 

at least according to what we can see here...

try MediaMarkt.ch.....

Eddie_Raja said:
Snoopy said:
The reason why Microsoft didn't release scorpio this year is because they are waiting for it to be cheaper.

Exactly, and people don't seem to get this.   If it launched now it would probably break even at $550, and they want to profit at $400.  

Actually what this tells me is they don't really care anymore if they lose marketshare.  They should have launched this NOW for $500 and taken the loss.

If they launch the console now at $550 they will take a huge beating. Even Playstation with it's big brand name lost a lot of money because of that. Not only this, but it takes time to do the R&D and Marketing. They want the best bang for their buck and they can't get it right now unless they spend a lot of money and hope people will buy it for around 600 dollars which isn't happening. 

Soundwave said:
DialgaMarine said:

You really think a 2013 Jaguar is the pinnacle of CPU technology and can't be improved on in 4 years? 

C'mon. 

Even just with the time difference, MS should be able to get something a lot better for 2017 for the same cost as the Jaguar chip circa 2013. 

4 years is a long fucking time in technology cycles. That's the difference between a XBox and a XBox 360. 

To be honest if you had told be in 2013 "well here's the PS4 specs, what do you think a console released in 2017 would look like"

6 TFLOP+, 16GB of RAM, way better CPU would've been my guess back then, just because it's natural for technology to scale down in cost and for better tech to come around. 

To be honest I think 6 TFLOP even is on the low side, I think MS could push it to 7 TFLOP+ if they're willing to go all out. 

According to rumors Sony were testing 2 specs the one with CPU upgrade would cost them 500$ instead. PS4Pro is just having double the CU of PS4 and everything is overclocked some 25%more to get boost. Hence they were able to price it at 400$ and even though they may do a 50$price drp for sometime next year. They will have to wait 2018 before they can compress the chip and have permanent pricecut.

If Microsoft is going to have a new CPU then even in 500$ they might be making loss. Like Sony was doing with the PS3

IMO there is no way that MS relase 6TFlops+ console in 2017. with price point of $399 and not taking loss.

Xbox Scorpio to me screams like $499 console, saying that maybe MS will again take losses and offer lower price.