By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo NX may have originally been using AMD chips in early 2013-14 prototyping

NX, which many speculate is a code name short for "Nintendo Cross" actually had its first "leak" back in January 2014. The word "Cross" was instead filled with the synonym "Fusion" also synonymous with X.

Now this could have been a VERY good guess, but the specifications are not too far off from the more recent "leaks" - the 2 and a half year article is very close to those we're seeing today. It would be in line with the sort of adjustments that would be made as they work toward final hardware

Fusion DS compared to NX device:

1. AMD GPU - NX uses a Tegra chipset
  2. Screen size: 13 cm - NX is 6.2in (which translates to 15.75 cm)
  3. Resolution: two DVGA (960x640) - NX is one 720p (1280x720)
  4. Storage: 16 GB & SDHC slot -NX is 32 GB
  5. TV connection unit: 4.6 GFlops Terminal - NX has a "docking unit" with no specifically stated features or what the purpose of it is aside from perhaps charging, but some have said this connects to the TV.
  6. Both have capacitive touch screens.
  7. Both use mini-cartridges.
The big difference is the terminal unit, another box which presumably runs the same platform as the Fusion DS, and if this is intended to be the supplemental computing device that a patent from a few months ago describe. If this was an actual leak it's possible that a supplementary computing device may still exist in the plans.
This leak could very well be the specifications of the NX prototype unit from 2013 and early 2014. Either that or a shockingly good guess, since it is fairly close to the rumours, the patents that followed, AND what Nintendo would later say about their upcoming platform. Of course, that was since that was a long time ago now:
All in all, the newer rumours are not particularly different from this two and a half year old one, barring the terminal details. A Fusion DS which can be handheld, and uses a method to connect to a TV.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

I just want the thing to be revealed already...

isn't 6 months a good amount of time to advertise?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

hershel_layton said:

Watch them pull an Apple and reveal it at the end of February. "By the way... here's the NX! It'll be on store shelves next week!"

StarOcean said:
hershel_layton said:

Watch them pull an Apple and reveal it at the end of February. "By the way... here's the NX! It'll be on store shelves next week!"

Thats the one thing I wish they would do so I don't have to wait for so long T_T

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I remember that rumor.

Even though neither of them would be great devices, I would prefer them to the NX Tegra rumor.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

Better than that rumored Tegra X1 device

StarOcean said:
hershel_layton said:

Lol Nintendo don't have the same pull as Apple though. Literally tens of millions of people anticipate the next Apple phone and jump on it within the first 2 weeks, so Apple are in a position to do that. With Nintendo and even just video game consoles/handhelds, it takes alot longer and people need to see software. not saying any console can sell 10 million in launch week, but consoles do take time to convince gamers/general public that it is worth upgrading.

StarOcean said:
hershel_layton said:

I'd be disappointed.

At least for Apple/Samsung/Huawei/whatever you don't need much to show. Got the brand name, show upgraded specs, any gimmicks, pricing, and boom. There you go.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

God, I really hope the hybrid rumors are completely false. The last thing I want is some dinky device that's too expensive for handheld enthusiasts and too weak for console enthusiasts. It would try to please everyone and end up alienating a lot of people.

Guitarguy said:
StarOcean said:

Lol Nintendo don't have the same pull as Apple though. Literally tens of millions of people anticipate the next Apple phone and jump on it within the first 2 weeks, so Apple are in a position to do that. With Nintendo and even just video game consoles/handhelds, it takes alot longer and people need to see software. not saying any console can sell 10 million in launch week, but consoles do take time to convince gamers/general public that it is worth upgrading.

I was joking