By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo NX may have originally been using AMD chips in early 2013-14 prototyping

I really dont see point of bringing up now rumour that is two and half years old.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

I kinda wonder if the NX 'dock' has the fan and the unit somehow plugs into that and pushes cool air into the design in "dock mode" (no fan for portable mode). The dock itself seems kinda odd, because why not just have the NX stream to a HDMI dongle like Google does or basically the just the technology Nintendo already made for Wii U in reverse. I think there's something going on with that dock. 

So you think the dock is something like a laptop cooler.

But the dock is only odd if we start giving it more importance than it has. We've had this conversation before, but the dock can be a simple HUB for NX. You can use it to charge the NX like Wii U's Gamepad stand and, with its detachable controllers (something that I still don't understand, but that's not what this discussion is about), use it to connect the NX to the TV (and Home Cinema or whatever sound system you may use) while playing on the couch. Also, with one or two USB ports you can use it to connect an external HDD to store our digital games.

Of course, you can believe in the powered dock theory (just as valid as the other one), but then there are more things to consider. For example, if it has a seond Tegra chip like you believe, I find it hard to believe that Nintendo will bundle both things, NX and dock, together as that would dramatically increase the price for something that many users that only want a new handheld won't use.

But if it has indeed a Tegra chip and it is sold separately, why not market it as a home console version of NX? Why not allow users to buy it and use it to play NX games on TV without having to buy the handheld part? You only have to bundle it with a regular controller that can be a rebranded Wii U Pro controller.

And of course, let everybody know that if you have both devices, you can use them together to play games at higher resolution (1080p vs starndard 720p) on the TV or in local multiplayer with at least one user playing on the TV and at least another one playing on the handheld.

Soundwave said:

The Tegra X1 is already in a mini-console casing anyway which does have a fan though it rarely uses it ...

If Nintendo made a full console version of the NX, of course it would have a fan.

A fan powered NX would work for a home console/dock, but it's unacceptable for a handheld device.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Soundwave said:

I kinda wonder if the NX 'dock' has the fan and the unit somehow plugs into that and pushes cool air into the design in "dock mode" (no fan for portable mode). The dock itself seems kinda odd, because why not just have the NX stream to a HDMI dongle like Google does or basically the just the technology Nintendo already made for Wii U in reverse. I think there's something going on with that dock. 

But the dock is only odd if we start giving it more importance than it has. We've had this conversation before, but the dock can be a simple HUB for NX. You can use it to charge the NX like Wii U's Gamepad stand and, with its detachable controllers (something that I still don't understand, but that's not what this discussion is about), use it to connect the NX to the TV (and Home Cinema or whatever sound system you may use) while playing on the couch. Also, with one or two USB ports you can use it to connect an external HDD to store our digital games.

Of course, you can believe in the powered dock theory (just as valid as the other one), but then there are more things to consider. For example, if it has a seond Tegra chip like you believe, I find it hard to believe that Nintendo will bundle both things, NX and dock, together as that would dramatically increase the price for something that many users that only want a new handheld won't use.

But if it has indeed a Tegra chip and it is sold separately, why not market it as a home console version of NX? Why not allow users to buy it and use it to play NX games on TV without having to buy the handheld part? You only have to bundle it with a regular controller that can be a rebranded Wii U Pro controller.

And of course, let everybody know that if you have both devices, you can use them together to play games at higher resolution (1080p vs starndard 720p) on the TV or in local multiplayer with at least one user playing on the TV and at least another one playing on the handheld.

Soundwave said:

The Tegra X1 is already in a mini-console casing anyway which does have a fan though it rarely uses it ...

If Nintendo made a full console version of the NX, of course it would have a fan.

A fan powered NX would work for a home console/dock, but it's unacceptable for a handheld device.

The problem with the dock idea just for TV out is it's stupid, because it renders the entire system useless even just as an extra controller because it has to be hooked up to this dock for TV output. Since we have Chromecast and Nintendo spent a lot of money on wireless TV signal transfer, it would make more sense to just beam the signal to the TV and let the user still have use of the NX. Heck even Nvidia has this technology too (wireless in home streaming). 

I think something has to be going on with the dock that absolutely makes it neccessary for the system be docked ... the dock functioning as a cooling bay and thus allowing for the chip to run at full clock/full power would certainly be a good reason to have to have a docked setup. 

System will run in a lower power state while in handheld mode, naturally. So they could have something that for example operates at 256 CUDA cores in portable mode, but runs at its full 768 CUDA core capacity with full clock when docked. 

That's just a guess but I think it makes sense. 

Soundwave said:
JEMC said:

The problem with the dock idea just for TV out is it's stupid, because it renders the entire system useless even just as an extra controller because it has to be hooked up to this dock for TV output. Since we have Chromecast and Nintendo spent a lot of money on wireless TV signal transfer, it would make more sense to just beam the signal to the TV and let the user still have use of the NX. Heck even Nvidia has this technology too (wireless in home streaming). 

I think something has to be going on with the dock that absolutely makes it neccessary for the system be docked ... the dock functioning as a cooling bay and thus allowing for the chip to run at full clock/full power would certainly be a good reason to have to have a docked setup. 

System will run in a lower power state while in handheld mode, naturally. So they could have something that for example operates at 256 CUDA cores in portable mode, but runs at its full 768 CUDA core capacity with full clock when docked. 

That's just a guess but I think it makes sense. 

It's not stupid, it's simple and practical.

And why would you need to hold the NX while playing on the TV? This is not a Wii U anymore, and asymetric gameplay has proven to be a failed idea. Playing on the TV with a regular controller is far more simple and easy for everyone.

Oh, and a processor is not like an car engine where you can turn off a pair of cylinders to save fuel. If Nintendo has a customized Tegra with 768 as you invented, all 768 cores will have current. The only thing you can do is lower the clock speed to make them use less power.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.