By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Native 4K or Checkerboard "uprendered" 4k

No one expected native 4k to begin with, but this checkboard upscaling does seem to be useful enough to actually utilizing the 2.4 extra teraflops right. And judging by it's contents the PS4 pro is a bargain for only €100- morte than either the PS4 slim or the Xone Slim. Even digital foundry is impresed by this checkboard upscaling, which means it brings us a sharper and clearer image which is clearly better as the vanilla PS4 as long as you own a 4k tv.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
Peh said:

Half the resolution of 4k is not 4k. I don't know why it is so hard to understand. If the result is a blurry image, then it doesn't matter to me that it has been rendered with god's approved gaming device. It still misses half of the information what makes 4k -> 4k and it's blurry. Passable 4k is still not 4k.

My BluRay player can also upscale to 4k. Yet, I don't call it a 4k BluRay player.

I'm not denying the archievement in graphical power on a console by this low price point. But at the same time, I am not trying to make it something which is not.

And the graphical world I am currently stuck in is simply PC native 4k gaming. 

"rendered with god's approved gaming device" lol

Ahh, cool. You have a GTX 1070 and game on a 4K monitor!

What I like about 4K is that old 1080p games scale perfectly. But having been accostomed to 4K, how do you feel about 1080p games on your monitor? Does it feel ugly?

1080p is kind of unplayable on a 4k monitor. It looks awfully blurry.

Halflife 2 in 4k maxxed out AA

http://www.pic-upload.de/view-31674270/20160911_163611.jpg.html

close up:

http://www.pic-upload.de/view-31674283/20160911_163626.jpg.html

Halflife 2 in 1080 maxxed out AA

http://www.pic-upload.de/view-31674295/20160911_163659.jpg.html

close up:

http://www.pic-upload.de/view-31674304/20160911_163720.jpg.html

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Intrinsic said:
Conina said:

The ONLY zoomed picture in this whole thread was the last close-up of laras neck&shoulder, the other ones were 1:1-sections of the 4K-pictures for the people here, who are even too lazy to open the 4k-pictures in fullscreen (and even there you have to maximize the picture on a 1080p-display) to see the differences and just took a quick look in the forum display and "see no difference"

I think you  and Peh are really missing the point of this thread. I'm not saying there ISN'T a differrence. Yes, 4kc will never look as good as a native 4k. Thats never been in debate.

But the point is simple, is 4kc providing a good enough imporovememnt over 1080p? Will that difference be something that will look sooo bad and detract from the overall I at a glance in comparison to native 4k under normal use situations? Is or should pushing more pixels natively be proposed over pushing pixels "smarter" with less a hit to resources while still achieving results that are better than 1440p which just up till september 7th seemed to have been perfect and ok for most gamers?

That depends on the TV you are using. On a 1080p TV the image will look more sharper than on a 4k TV. But the upscalled 4k image will be probably downscalled on the TV, which could get rid of Aliasing. If you are using a 4k TV, well, then the upscaled image is the best option you can have. 1080p on a 4kTV is obviously worse than what the PS4 pro would do.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Conina said:

I'm not missing your point. Your point in all these threads is that the graphic fidelity of a PS4 Pro is fantastic and that everything above are diminishing returns not worth the extra money.

Until a few days ago your point was for over two years that the graphic fidelity of a PS4 is fantastic and that everything above are diminishing returns not worth the extra money.

Sigh.... ok.

Whats funny is that you are completely right. That is exactly my point. You are just missing the context. So I'll try and be very clear.

Yes. I thought and still think 1080p is fine. Its not bad looking or a blurry mess. Its not something that prevents a perfectly enjoyable gaming experience. Is 1440p/4k better? Absofuckinglutely. Is it better enough to spend 3-4x the money to accomplish? No. Is it better to make a day and night difference in gaming experince (think SD to HD gaming)? No. Do i feel that the resources devs put into hitting ever rising resolutions could be better spent on other facests of the game thst would actually make a more involved and denser world? Yes.

Now we are talking about 4k and 4kc..... No, my stance hasn't changed, 4kc is even finer and is a significant improvement over the 1080p I was already fine with. I still feel the exact same way. And I've been consistent with this feeling. I have always said that while 4k is no doubt good to have, It's just not necessary enough to be prioritized over everything else. I am more excited for HDR than I am for 4k.

And the simple truth is this, Most of those people that keep screaming rez and 4k seem to think that because you can do or you care about something then everyone should. They seem to think that everyone else has the time or care enough to be staring at screenshots of a game to compare how it doesn't quite look as good as something else. They seem to forget that the average consumer (and this is the majority here) usually can't even tell the difference between 1080i/720p/1080p.... 

I cannot stress enough how ridiculous it is to me for anyone to be comparing pictures of a game and having to do something that majority of the people out there (myself included) wouldn't even think to do when playing a game. 

I am.not saying you are one, or that they all are... but I don't think that PC gamers or the PC enthusiast realize just what kinda people they come off as to everyone else. Console fanboys get into petty shit and hate on competing hardware stuff. The "my own is better than yours". The PC people take that one step further. They do the mine is better than yours thing, then hiding behind a veil of knowledge of tech savinness or whatever, take it further and almost suggest "something must be wrong with you or you are stupid to not be into what I'm into". 

How is it possible to have a meaningful discussion with someone/people that come into the conversation just to tell you how wrong you are and damn and how right they are?

I'm not throwing this all at you. This has just been my experience with the PC crowd on every forum I Have been on. Hell I don't even know if you have a PC but you sound like them. That's not saying there aren't some PC gamers that I totally respect and look forward to reading from cause they do pass on good knowledge. 

You doubt my point? Just look at this threwd for proof.

I made a thread to talk about 4kc tech and how I think it's a great use of limited resources. In my OP i made it clear that yes 4kc will never be as good as 4k native but that the difference is while there; it's minimal and passable. I made the thread to discuss how this should be tech that if had been present in a lot of GPUs it would have been good for all gamers. Think about this, say you can't run native 4k on an RX 480 but can run native 1440p@60fps on it. If PC gamers could choose to do 4kc@60fps that yields results that are better than native 1440p but not as good as native 4k.... wouldn't that be an awesome stop gap? Do you think they wouldn't do it simply cause they want to use native 1440p even though there is a solution that can give them better results with the same hardware?

Yet look whats happenning,some of our PC friends has just missed all that and turned this into 4kc is not 4k native and native is better.... lol. Has that evee been in doubt???

Native 4K is the sharper image so its not a debate.

BUT... its still a great technique to get a better image. I played Titanfall 2 on X1 and it uses a similar technique. Its looks great. More console games should do this versus wasting much of the resources on resolution.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Native 4K is the sharper image so its not a debate.

BUT... its still a great technique to get a better image. I played Titanfall 2 on X1 and it uses a similar technique. Its looks great. More console games should do this versus wasting much of the resources on resolution.

Native is always better, but takes a much bigger toll. Next generation we should get proper native 4K.

I think even when power is increased somewhat, true 4k takes such a toll that unless there is a huge excess of power, using checkerboard rendering is going to be highly attractive... Because you will be able to increase FX and FPS just that much more. From what I expect of Scorpio, sure, while it may be capable of true  4k... It will probably be better off using it's power for FX and/or 60 fps.

Actually, I was trying to think of what would be in-between checkboard and true 4K...

And remembered what I believe is called foveated rendering, more common in VR development, with the idea to take advantage that your eye only has high resolution in a very narrow 5 or 10* cone (in VR, rapid eye tracking was meant to allow only rendering the center at high resolution, the rest can be blurry because it is just meant to transmit light/motion/color). It seems like it would be a useful increase in fidelity to a checkerboarded 4k field, and completely render EVERY pixel in a circle covering the middle 1/4 of the screen or so (maybe a slightly wider oval), i.e. where you generally want the center of your attention to be at. The rest still is being rendered in normal checkerboard fashion, so the fact there is no eye tracking isn't critical, but when you ARE looking at the center of the screen, you get the benefit of true 4K resolution.  Except it's only 2/3 of true 4K workload. 

I'm not so familiar, but it seems possible similar concept could apply for color information, it could be possible to reduce the color resolution outside a central circle/oval, perhaps a larger circle than above, but basically render full 4:4:4 color resolution inside it, and reduce to 4:2:0 outside?  

Both of these seem like they would be applicable more to 1st person games where you swivel the head view (in game) around on a regular basis, which partially substitutes for actual head/eye movement when playing a game presenting an otherwise fixed screen view.

mutantsushi said:

And remembered what I believe is called foveated rendering, more common in VR development, with the idea to take advantage that your eye only has high resolution in a very narrow 5 or 10* cone (in VR, rapid eye tracking was meant to allow only rendering the center at high resolution, the rest can be blurry because it is just meant to transmit light/motion/color).

That would be very annoying on a TV because in normal seating position the viewing angle is between 20 degrees (diagonal measurement × 2.5) and 40 degrees (diagonal measurement × 1.2): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_HDTV_viewing_distance#Fixed_distance

That only works with VR helmets with a stretched image with a viewing angle of 80 degrees and above.

Conina said:
Miguel_Zorro said:

I really don't see it - any specific spots where I should be looking?  Which one are people claiming is "better"?

The hair strains on the left, the jaggies on the right shoulder, the more detailed skin texture...

The more detailed textures of the skull and the stones, the jaggies on the arrow shafts, the feathers on the arrows...

How about we compare the PS4 Pro version when it is finally complete and released? Comparing an unreleased PS4 Pro game to a 4k native released and buttoned up PC game running on Ultra settings is not really equal ground.

Guitarguy said:

How about we compare the PS4 Pro version when it is finally complete and released? Comparing an unreleased PS4 Pro game to a 4k native released and buttoned up PC game running on Ultra settings is not really equal ground.

Sure, but these comparisons were started by PlayStation fans boasting about "how close the PS4 Pro graphics are to $1500 PC hardware" with many quotes like "I see no difference":

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=220191&page=1#