By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Tomb Raider PS4 Pro vs PC highest Settings

@torok "I think they probably just tweaked some lights that they didn't like a lot in the previous version."

That could be true. The PC version may be updated eventually. One can tell that the resolution of the textures is better on the PC version. Specially on the rocks.

But the practical effects optimization seems to be on the PS4's side for now.

Around the Network

This comparison makes NO sense. On the PC the ability to pirate games can save users thousands of dollars PER YEAR. So yes, the box itself is more expensive, but users can make up the difference within a single year and thereafter its all savings. A high end PC is much more economically sound than a PS4.

I already play it in 4k.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

JRPGfan said:
Zkuq said:

If you're paying $1500 for a PC, you're either doing it wrong or doing it with pleasure. You can get a perfectly fine gaming PC for much less than that, which means that either you're stupid to pay that much, or you're an enthusiast to whom it's worth the price.

Also, as you already seem to know the answer to your question, this seems like another provocation using the (incomplete) price argument. Your argument is incomplete because it only takes into account the initial cost, whereas the whole thing is actually much more complicated than that. My point? Your price comparison is, in my opinion, pretty much useless because it's so naive, so it doesn't make much sense to even make the comparison.

I ll bite this bait...

You dont want your PC hooked up to your liveing room TV, like you could with a console.

So you d need a 4k monitor.

4k monitor about 300-500$.

Nvidia 1070 to run high-very high settings in tomb raider @4k = 450$

Intel i7-6700k about 350$

LGA 1151 motherboard 100$

ram,mouse,keyboard,case,psu,cpu cooler,hdd,blu-ray drive,speakers,..... and windows 10.

= probably over 1500$ right?

But hey atleast it can do native 4k then.

"You can get a perfectly fine gaming PC for much less than that, which means that either you're stupid to pay that much, or you're an enthusiast to whom it's worth the price."

Perfectly fine isnt the point, the point was doing it better than the PS4 pro.

By doing it better I assumed you ment "real" 4k natively.

To do that you ll need a expensive PC.

My point was the PS4 pro for 399$ does ALOT for its price.

Funny to hear this called a bait by a person that set up a bait first.

Actually I might want my PC hooked up to my TV, if I could use it for other stuff too. And personally I couldn't care much less about 4k but let's assume I do anyway. In that case, that 4k TV is probably going to cost a ton, definitely a lot more than a smaller 4k monitor. An i7 is probably also more than you really need. I also find it curious that you don't have an existing computer you could take the mouse, keyboard, and speakers from.

I agree with your point, but please try to keep the comparisons fair. If you have a point, it should withstand a fair argument without exaggeration. Exaggeration can make even a good point look bad.

JRPGfan said:
irstupid said:

So in your example you need to buy a monitor for 4k, but the PS4Pro doesn't need a 4k TV.

Fair comparisons assume you either need to buy both, or you own both, or you use both on same display.

A 4k TV with certified HDR is going to set you back probably $800 min. 

While were at it, why don't we say you need to buy a computer desk and chair and the PS4 Pro needs to buy a comfy couch. 

Im assumeing people have a 4k TV or want one anyways. So yeah ignoreing that part of the cost equation.

Thats probably not fair though, but even if you ignore that cost, it ll probably still end up over 1500$.

Yeah, that's definitely not fair. I think we're still a long way from getting that much advantage from 4k, and I'd rather have graphical advances in other areas. I'm assuming I'm not alone. And if it's 4k I'm interested in, I'll be getting a 4k monitor anyway, right? So I can just deduct its price from the PC cost too, right? See, it goes both ways.

I'm also assuming you get something besides gaming out of the new computer, so it's not fair to count it all towards gaming costs either. The chances are, you have a computer and you're going to upgrade it sooner or later. There, now you can deduce the upgade cost from the cost of a new computer in gaming comparisons, because you'd have got a new one anyway. That's probably a deduction of at leats $300-400, possibly even more depending on what you want.

----------

At this point you can probably see that comparing the costs of console and PC gaming is not a simple issue, and we're not even very far into the issue yet. Add in the price of games (during their whole lifetime), the cost of online gaming, exclusives games, and probably some other things too, and it gets even more complicated. Basically if you play of ton of games, want to get most games near release, and play online a lot, consoles will end up costing more in the long run. In general, the less you play, the more economic consoles are, so even the cost issue alone is pretty subjective. Of course cost isn't everything, and there's a lot of other subjective things that matter. Often, those subjective things make console gaming more suitable for people.

Boobs look same size in both pics. Gaming PC is a waste of money confirmed.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
contestgamer said:

This comparison makes NO sense. On the PC the ability to pirate games can save users thousands of dollars PER YEAR. So yes, the box itself is more expensive, but users can make up the difference within a single year and thereafter its all savings. A high end PC is much more economically sound than a PS4.

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with a graphical comparison. At all.

The thread is arguing that you cn get equal graphics for a much better price than buying a PC. However it doesnt calculate in to effect the thousands saved on games with  PC, so a PC is still a much better deal for even better graphics.

contestgamer said:
CGI-Quality said:

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with a graphical comparison. At all.

The thread is arguing that you cn get equal graphics for a much better price than buying a PC. However it doesnt calculate in to effect the thousands saved on games with  PC, so a PC is still a much better deal for even better graphics.

I don't think counting with piracy is actually right, making a comparison considering steam and others stores discounts sure. 

Pc version definitely better, ps4 pro still a good quality though.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Curious what the supposedly maxed Pro version looks like.

HTupolev from neogaf explains how this is possible (the gpu punching above its weight class).

"The checkerboard refers to a special sample grid that frames are rendered on; whatever resolution you want at your output, your checkerboard frame has to render half that many pixels.

Imagine rendering all of the red pixels, and then reconstructing the green ones:

For 4K checkerboard, they don't render at 1440p, they render checkerboarded images that have double the pixels of 1080p. Which means a few more pixels than 1440p, but also not arranged in a simple rectangular grid.

The checkerboard pattern lends itself to pretty good upsampling quality.
And if the sample pattern is inverted between frames (i.e. red pixels one frame, green pixels the next), it should combine well with temporal reprojection: in non-moving images this should basically allow for a perfect 4K image." - Quote HTupolev.

^ so this is how its done, if anyone was wondering.