By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Tomb Raider PS4 Pro vs PC highest Settings

JRPGfan said:
Zkuq said:

If you're paying $1500 for a PC, you're either doing it wrong or doing it with pleasure. You can get a perfectly fine gaming PC for much less than that, which means that either you're stupid to pay that much, or you're an enthusiast to whom it's worth the price.

Also, as you already seem to know the answer to your question, this seems like another provocation using the (incomplete) price argument. Your argument is incomplete because it only takes into account the initial cost, whereas the whole thing is actually much more complicated than that. My point? Your price comparison is, in my opinion, pretty much useless because it's so naive, so it doesn't make much sense to even make the comparison.

I ll bite this bait...

You dont want your PC hooked up to your liveing room TV, like you could with a console.

So you d need a 4k monitor.

4k monitor about 300-500$.

Nvidia 1070 to run high-very high settings in tomb raider @4k = 450$

Intel i7-6700k about 350$

LGA 1151 motherboard 100$

ram,mouse,keyboard,case,psu,cpu cooler,hdd,blu-ray drive,speakers,..... and windows 10.

= probably over 1500$ right?

But hey atleast it can do native 4k then.

"You can get a perfectly fine gaming PC for much less than that, which means that either you're stupid to pay that much, or you're an enthusiast to whom it's worth the price."

Perfectly fine isnt the point, the point was doing it better than the PS4 pro.

By doing it better I assumed you ment "real" 4k natively.

To do that you ll need a expensive PC.

My point was the PS4 pro for 399$ does ALOT for its price.

Wait so why do you need an i7 and why can't you hook up the PC to the living room?

I feel like one can prove that ps4 does a lot against PC without making odd decisions in PC specs or saying someone doesn't want to cause it is a perference thing imo.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Zkuq said:

If you're paying $1500 for a PC, you're either doing it wrong or doing it with pleasure. You can get a perfectly fine gaming PC for much less than that, which means that either you're stupid to pay that much, or you're an enthusiast to whom it's worth the price.

Also, as you already seem to know the answer to your question, this seems like another provocation using the (incomplete) price argument. Your argument is incomplete because it only takes into account the initial cost, whereas the whole thing is actually much more complicated than that. My point? Your price comparison is, in my opinion, pretty much useless because it's so naive, so it doesn't make much sense to even make the comparison.

I ll bite this bait...

You dont want your PC hooked up to your liveing room TV, like you could with a console.

So you d need a 4k monitor.

4k monitor about 300-500$.

Nvidia 1070 to run high-very high settings in tomb raider @4k = 450$

Intel i7-6700k about 350$

LGA 1151 motherboard 100$

ram,mouse,keyboard,case,psu,cpu cooler,hdd,blu-ray drive,speakers,..... and windows 10.

= probably over 1500$ right?

But hey atleast it can do native 4k then.

"You can get a perfectly fine gaming PC for much less than that, which means that either you're stupid to pay that much, or you're an enthusiast to whom it's worth the price."

Perfectly fine isnt the point, the point was doing it better than the PS4 pro.

By doing it better I assumed you ment "real" 4k natively.

To do that you ll need a expensive PC.

My point was the PS4 pro for 399$ does ALOT for its price.

So in your example you need to buy a monitor for 4k, but the PS4Pro doesn't need a 4k TV.

Fair comparisons assume you either need to buy both, or you own both, or you use both on same display.

A 4k TV with certified HDR is going to set you back probably $800 min. 

While were at it, why don't we say you need to buy a computer desk and chair and the PS4 Pro needs to buy a comfy couch. 

irstupid said:
JRPGfan said:

So in your example you need to buy a monitor for 4k, but the PS4Pro doesn't need a 4k TV.

Fair comparisons assume you either need to buy both, or you own both, or you use both on same display.

While were at it, why don't we say you need to buy a computer desk and chair and the PS4 Pro needs to buy a comfy couch. 

Im assumeing people have a 4k TV or want one anyways. So yeah ignoreing that part of the cost equation.

Thats probably not fair though, but even if you ignore that cost, it ll probably still end up over 1500$.

JRPGfan said:
Angelv577 said:
I am more interested in seeing the ps4 pro version vs the xb1 version

That can be done.

Xbox One:   http://cdn.segmentnext.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/rise-of-te-romb-raider-1.png

PS4 Pro:  http://images.gamersyde.com/image_rise_of_the_tomb_raider_20_year_celebration-32969-3661_0002.jpg

I suggest opening both links up, and compaireing them.

Try and zoom in on the face with both versions.

Thanks.  

JRPGfan said:
irstupid said:

Im assumeing people have a 4k TV or want one anyways. So yeah ignoreing that part of the cost equation.

Thats probably not fair though, but even if you ignore that cost, it ll probably still end up over 1500$.

Ok, then how about assuming someone may need a computer at home for work or other personal reasons anyway. So you should ignore the first costs of the PC then. Saying an average PC costs $400 or something. Then you shoudl only factor in anything above that $400, since the $400 is a NEED and would be getting spent anyway. 

I'm not trying to say a PC can cost effective fight with PS4 PRo. I'm just annoyed with people when they try to say PC gaming is so expensive, they do it by adding in cost of some Monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, and other periphials and yet completely ignore them for consoles saying "you have those already" Oh and I don't already have a monitor, keyboard, controllers or use my tv with pc. Thos factors shoudl not be counted.

Stick a PS4 in a room with nothing in it and it's just as worhtless as a pc tower in a room with nothing in it. They both require a display, both require sound of some sort. Those are costs. They may be new costs, they may not be. 

Around the Network
irstupid said:

While I don't think we should count the monitor, his reasoning is probably that a PC monitor only has use in the computer, while the TV is something that you already have to buy anyway, even if you have a PC. Even without the monitor, the pricing difference is still pretty big. Getting 4K or close to it by 400 bucks is a killer value. I dumped close to it on a 970 1 year ago and it isn't touching this kind of resolutions since it struggles with 1440p.

1500$ is somewhat exagerated. But more than 1K without a monitor is a given if you are going with a 1070, so the 399 price of the Pro is pretty good. I can't see why someone would even grab a Slim with the Pro being so cheap.

PC gaming has a lot of strong points, but price isn't one of this. I've expent a lot in hardware and my PS+ subs and the price of games are not going to compensate it. Also mind that a lot of people sell their physical games after finishing them and you can also buy pre-owned, trade games with friends or rent shorter games.

The light looks as intended by the developer on the PS4 Pro.

Look at the PC version, that is not how light propagates, specially when there are other external light sources. The brighter artificial source should have a stronger effect than the natural light on both the character and the environment.

She is holding that neon type of light right next to her face and you can barely see the range of light on PC.

Apparently the PS4 Pro is coming with some extra tools that will help developers handle light in a more realistic way.

torok said:
irstupid said:

While I don't think we should count the monitor, his reasoning is probably that a PC monitor only has use in the computer, while the TV is something that you already have to buy anyway, even if you have a PC. Even without the monitor, the pricing difference is still pretty big. Getting 4K or close to it by 400 bucks is a killer value. I dumped close to it on a 970 1 year ago and it isn't touching this kind of resolutions since it struggles with 1440p.

1500$ is somewhat exagerated. But more than 1K without a monitor is a given if you are going with a 1070, so the 399 price of the Pro is pretty good. I can't see why someone would even grab a Slim with the Pro being so cheap.

You don't need a 4k tv. Most peoples current tv's are completely fine. So I would consider buying a NEW tv to be an added expense.

And if we are talking about TV's being something someone already has to buy anyway, then what about the fact that many people also buy a PC anyway for business or photo's or something. Sure they can get away with a cheap $400 desktip or something, but then shouldn't a PC person be able to subtract that from their $1500 price tag and say "I needed a computer anyway, there was no way around it. All I did was spend and extra $1,100 on this one"

A PS4 is not a NEED. A pc in a house may be. 

The_BlackHeart__ said:
The light looks as intended by the developer on the PS4 Pro.

Look at the PC version, that is not how light propagates, specially when there are other external light sources. The brighter artificial source should have a stronger effect than the natural light on both the character and the environment.

She is holding that neon type of light right next to her face and you can barely see the range of light on PC.

Apparently the PS4 Oro is coming with some extra tools that will help developers handle light in a more realistic way.

I think they probably just tweaked some lights that they didn't like a lot in the previous version.

irstupid said:

You don't need a 4k tv. Most peoples current tv's are completely fine. So I would consider buying a NEW tv to be an added expense.

And if we are talking about TV's being something someone already has to buy anyway, then what about the fact that many people also buy a PC anyway for business or photo's or something. Sure they can get away with a cheap $400 desktip or something, but then shouldn't a PC person be able to subtract that from their $1500 price tag and say "I needed a computer anyway, there was no way around it. All I did was spend and extra $1,100 on this one"

A PS4 is not a NEED. A pc in a house may be. 

Basically nobody that is not a PC gamer will buy a desktop. People have laptops. They don't take a lot of space, can be easily moved, can be taken to any place, it's basically a full win unless you plan to game on it. I have a gamign desktop but still had to buy a damn expensive laptop because I have to take a PC with me to the university or work sometimes and my desktop won't do it. So a desktop isn't a real need. nobody has it anymore unless they want to game on it or do specific works (rendering, heavy video/image editing). Even ergonomics are not relevant, just plug a M/KB and a monitor and you now have a laptop with desktop-like comfort plus two screens. Most of non-techy people actually think that desktops are things from the past. I don't see a non-gamer saying "hey, help me chose a desktop" since almost a decade, while there's always someone wanting a laptop or smartphone.

When people do have cheap desktops, they are smaller PCs with a cheap PS and MB. You can't upgrade it to be 4K capable, you just have to buy a new PC. Even my gaming desktop could be an issue for 4K gaming since it's not full tower, my PS won't feed a beefier GPU, my CPU would bottleneck a monster GPU. Add to this my DDR3 memories, outdated CPU socket and I would probably just have to get a new PC if I want a 4K machine. And I have a good gaming PC. It's never that easy.

I know people may have to buy the TV, but everyone has TVs. Upgrading to a 4K one will also allow you too see 4K movies and enjoy Netflix on HDR. If you buy a PC monitor and then you decide to sell your PC, the monitor is now useless, while the TV isn't.