By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Internet Played Themselves (PS4 Pro)

What are your thoughts on the Pro?

Shit 27 16.27%

Will never buy 34 20.48%

Day one buy 39 23.49%

Looks real good 66 39.76%

Total:166
bluedawgs said:
Captain_Yuri said:
Idk if it really suffers from the over-hype thing... What most people have an issue with is the lack of a 4k Bluray functionality, not really anything else imo. And that part is justified at least for me.

I mean I totally could care less about the lack of 4k blu ray, however, considering there are obviously many, many people who still enjoy buying blu rays, and considering the marketing of the pro to be a 4k machine, the lack of a 4k blu ray player is an asinine decision especially considering the xbox one slim for $299 has a 4k blu ray

There are a lot of people who also rent blu rays like myself.  Streaming is hit or miss sometimes within my household even though I have enough bandwidth.  When you are watching a movie and you get artifacts, stoppage and other gunk from streaming, you just want a smooth experience.  Also the picture quality is crisp and prestine when you play from disk.  

Saying that your product is a 4K device without the actual drive no matter how you spin it makes the product look weak to the competition that does have it.  I am sure the Pro will still sell buck loads but it gives a very distintive advantage outside of just raw power to the MS big dog system once it comes out.  

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
GribbleGrunger said:

It's both a business move and a 'trend' move. By not including 4K to the PS4pro, they give more value to their deals with Youtube and Netflix, as well as add value to their PSVue service when that finally offers 4K. It also drives traffic through their online infrastructure and moves consumers ever closer to their 'services'.

Watch Sony announce a PS4K with even more power not long after the Scorpio releases.

Not going to happen.  Two simple reasons. 

One, they don't need to worry about the Scorpio.  Not only is it coming an entire year later, which allows Sony to gain a foothold in the 4K console gaming department, but it also will be much more expensive.  MS is prepping people for a high price, bragging about how the GPU costs as much as the PS3 at launch.  That's complete BS that will only be repeated by fanboys, but it just shows that they are going to be asking a premium price.  My guess is it will launch at a minimum of $499.  Sony will most likely announce a $50 price cut to the Pro, which will put the Scorpio at a $150 disadvantage, and will be all they need to do to combat the Scorpio.  1.8 Tflops (assuming MS wasn't rounding up and the GPU is more like 5.6-5.8 Tflops) more and a 4K Bluray player won't help them there.

And, more importantly, two, they are already making the PS5.  Sony made it clear, they are sticking to gens.  It was basically a middle finger at MS claiming they can change the way the market works, when they are only a distant 2nd and with Sony firing on all cylinders.  Coming out with a PS4 Pro2 would just be playing MS's game of no defined generations.  The PS5 is most likely going to launch, or at least be announced, by 2019, just in time for PS's 25th anniversary.  The advertising just writes itself, PS5 with the S being a backwards 2.  And my guess is it will end up being 10-12 Tflops, with a much better CPU and 10-12 GBs of RAM.  There would be no point in releasing a Pro2 in 2018, that would probably be 7 Tflops to pass the Scorpio, just to announce the PS5 the very next year.

If PS5 is backwards compatible, then it is not different from what MS says. The console where you have all your game library from previous iteration.

The lack of 4K Blu ray player is a good enough concern to many possible shoppers. I guess we'll have to wait and see if Sony made the right move in sacrificing that feature for a fairly low selling price. If I have the money AND a 4K at some point, I'll probably pick one up.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian