By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Internet Played Themselves (PS4 Pro)

What are your thoughts on the Pro?

Shit 27 16.27%

Will never buy 34 20.48%

Day one buy 39 23.49%

Looks real good 66 39.76%

Total:166
GribbleGrunger said:
bluedawgs said:

Since the concept of the pro was leaked before E3, nearly three months ago at this point, and since Sony was dead set on revealing this no earlier than september, the internet has had three months to get hyped. Everyone using their imagination to try and figure out what the neo was, with Sony saying nothing the entire time. Tragic overhype is what occured, not only for the pro itself, but for the damn Playstation Meeting keynote itself. People were expecting new game announcements, old games being upgraded, half life 3, and whatever else as if it was an E3 conference. Seriously, big time overhype. 

The console was hyped up to be a complete overhaul of the PS4, and that's just not what it was supposed to be. A PS4 is a PS4, so the pro wasn't going to look different, why? Because it wouldn't be PS4, it would be a PS5. It wasn't going to have a different shape, or be all chromed out or whatever, just a better PS4. After seeing what Horizon and Spiderman and Mass Effect looked like, I'm fucking hyped

Edit: Forgot to mention the lack of a 4k blu ray player, really dumb

It really isn't. It's a very smart move.

While I agree that it's a smart move from a business stand point, and perhaps even a customer stand point given the affordable price given the lack of the 4k blu ray drive, i can't deny the obvious oversight of not adding a 4k blu ray drive to the console that has marketing based entirely around its 4k streaming and gaming capabilities.

However, I do see this decision being viewed as a more logical one in the future, because DVDS and Blu Rays are in fact a dying medium, and due to the fact that they are a dying medium, the decision of not adding a 4k blu ray drive will appear to be smarter the more DVDs and Blu Rays fade into obscurity. But as it stands currently, with the slim version of the Xbox One featuring the 4k blu ray at a $299 price point, the decision to not add a 4k blu ray to the PS4 Pro seems foolish.

Around the Network
bluedawgs said:

While I agree that it's a smart move from a business stand point, and perhaps even a customer stand point given the affordable price given the lack of the 4k blu ray drive, i can't deny the obvious oversight of not adding a 4k blu ray drive to the console that has marketing based entirely around its 4k streaming and gaming capabilities.

However, I do see this decision being viewed as a more logical one in the future, because DVDS and Blu Rays are in fact a dying medium, and due to the fact that they are a dying medium, the decision of not adding a 4k blu ray drive will appear to be smarter the more DVDs and Blu Rays fade into obscurity. But as it stands currently, with the slim version of the Xbox One featuring the 4k blu ray at a $299 price point, the decision to not add a 4k blu ray to the PS4 Pro seems foolish.

It's both a business move and a 'trend' move. By not including 4K to the PS4pro, they give more value to their deals with Youtube and Netflix, as well as add value to their PSVue service when that finally offers 4K. It also drives traffic through their online infrastructure and moves consumers ever closer to their 'services'.

Watch Sony announce a PS4K with even more power not long after the Scorpio releases.

The PS5 Exists. 

Puppyroach said:
MS will likely use the lack of a 4K Bluray player as a sales argument, claiming Xbox One S is the only true 4K console on the market. So I think this was a missed opportunity by Sony. The thing wasn't overhyped, but it did underdeliver somewhat.

A 4 teraflop machine out in 2016 over the promise of a hardware revision from MS in holidays 2017 I'm shocked at the power per $ they've managed with this, it has to be sold at a loss surely?

As for 4k blu ray over rock solid 1080p or gaming power, I know which I'd take any day of the week, regardless of an advert from MS saying their console does what Nintendont

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

bluedawgs said:
Puppyroach said:
MS will likely use the lack of a 4K Bluray player as a sales argument, claiming Xbox One S is the only true 4K console on the market. So I think this was a missed opportunity by Sony. The thing wasn't overhyped, but it did underdeliver somewhat.

Microsoft has tried many, many marketing tactics to gain an upperhand in the sales department, and not only did nothing work, but things have only gotten better for sony, and worse for microsoft. With that said, you need to explain how the xbox one s provides "true 4k", because while the ps4 pro doesn't have a 4k blu ray drive and the xbox one s does, the console can't play games in 4k like the ps4 pro can. so, it seems both consoles provide something different when it comes to 4k, the pro does gaming in 4k, while the xbox one s has a 4k blu ray drive for movies

It only requires MS to hit the nail once and succeed with the tactics and the roles in the US might very well be reversed. Sony doesn't want that momentum to change. And I didn't say that I think either of them is a 4K machine, but MS will likely claim to have the only 4K console on the market and refer to the Bluray. The Pro won't likely do native 4K, but rather software upscaling. But the hunt for 4K is silly in my view nonetheless, that should be the focus in three years time, not now.

I was a bit puzzled by the lack of a UHD blu-ray player, but I have to ask, where did this sudden demand come from? It feels a bit like people are more upset that the One has a feature that the PS4 lacks than really wanting the feature itself. I certainly didn't see anyone clamoring for the feature before E3, and now people act like a $400 console that is significantly more powerful than its $350 cousin is shocking. 

To be fair, I don't plan on upgrading my TV anytime soon. 4k sets are nice, but I'll wait for a 4k projector. By the time that's affordable, I'll be ready for 4k blu-rays. 

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
bluedawgs said:

It's both a business move and a 'trend' move. By not including 4K to the PS4pro, they give more value to their deals with Youtube and Netflix, as well as add value to their PSVue service when that finally offers 4K. It also drives traffic through their online infrastructure and moves consumers ever closer to their 'services'.

Watch Sony announce a PS4K with even more power not long after the Scorpio releases.

Not going to happen.  Two simple reasons. 

One, they don't need to worry about the Scorpio.  Not only is it coming an entire year later, which allows Sony to gain a foothold in the 4K console gaming department, but it also will be much more expensive.  MS is prepping people for a high price, bragging about how the GPU costs as much as the PS3 at launch.  That's complete BS that will only be repeated by fanboys, but it just shows that they are going to be asking a premium price.  My guess is it will launch at a minimum of $499.  Sony will most likely announce a $50 price cut to the Pro, which will put the Scorpio at a $150 disadvantage, and will be all they need to do to combat the Scorpio.  1.8 Tflops (assuming MS wasn't rounding up and the GPU is more like 5.6-5.8 Tflops) more and a 4K Bluray player won't help them there.

And, more importantly, two, they are already making the PS5.  Sony made it clear, they are sticking to gens.  It was basically a middle finger at MS claiming they can change the way the market works, when they are only a distant 2nd and with Sony firing on all cylinders.  Coming out with a PS4 Pro2 would just be playing MS's game of no defined generations.  The PS5 is most likely going to launch, or at least be announced, by 2019, just in time for PS's 25th anniversary.  The advertising just writes itself, PS5 with the S being a backwards 2.  And my guess is it will end up being 10-12 Tflops, with a much better CPU and 10-12 GBs of RAM.  There would be no point in releasing a Pro2 in 2018, that would probably be 7 Tflops to pass the Scorpio, just to announce the PS5 the very next year.

thismeintiel said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Not going to happen.  Two simple reasons. 

One, they don't need to worry about the Scorpio.  Not only is it coming an entire year later, which allows Sony to gain a foothold in the 4K console gaming department, but it also will be much more expensive.  MS is prepping people for a high price, bragging about how the GPU costs as much as the PS3 at launch.  That's complete BS that will only be repeated by fanboys, but it just shows that they are going to be asking a premium price.  My guess is it will launch at a minimum of $499.  Sony will most likely announce a $50 price cut to the Pro, which will put the Scorpio at a $150 disadvantage, and will be all they need to do to combat the Scorpio.  1.8 Tflops (assuming MS wasn't rounding up and the GPU is more like 5.6-5.8 Tflops) more and a 4K Bluray player won't help them there.

And, more importantly, two, they are already making the PS5.  Sony made it clear, they are sticking to gens.  It was basically a middle finger at MS claiming they can change the way the market works, when they are only a distant 2nd and with Sony firing on all cylinders.  Coming out with a PS4 Pro2 would just be playing MS's game of no defined generations.  The PS5 is most likely going to launch, or at least be announced, by 2019, just in time for PS's 25th anniversary.  The advertising just writes itself, PS5 with the S being a backwards 2.  And my guess is it will end up being 10-12 Tflops, with a much better CPU and 10-12 GBs of RAM.  There would be no point in releasing a Pro2 in 2018, that would probably be 7 Tflops to pass the Scorpio, just to announce the PS5 the very next year.

Yes, and the PS4k will be the PS5. That's what I meant.

The PS5 Exists. 

Its very simple. This is what the PS4/PS4 Pro burns out to.

3 years ago you make a gaming system, with 8GB and a 8core processor with a graphics card.
At the end of the year you can buy a new graphics card for it.

The system will be a bit better, if you trade the old parts in, you should not be paying that much.

However, it doesn't offer new experiences, games won't be better. That PC community everyone is always insulting, hey, its very simulair, is that a bad thing? no... not really. Is it worth the upgrade? for me, hell no, but if you want that improvement, maybe.

Personally I will wait to see what Microsoft does, I will think about buying a Scorpio, for the UHD and the better third party games on it (probably) since I do have a 4k TV but else I will just buy the PS5 (Will buy that whatever happens)

Twitter @CyberMalistix

GribbleGrunger said:

Yes, and the PS4k will be the PS5. That's what I meant.

Well, at that point it wouldn't be a PS4K. 

thismeintiel said:

Well, at that point it wouldn't be a PS4K. 

Ah, but that's the genius of it. Sony will announce that the console has full BC with the PS4slim/Pro but will also support games that can't run on the other system. All they have to do is start branding their console Playstation from that point on and so they'd write it as PS/4K.

The PS5 Exists.