By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why does Metroid Mainline Games sale so sell low? And could it sale higher now?

People in gaming forums always use the term niche incorrectly. Get a dictionary.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Dunban67 said:
Nintendo is great a creating IP/brands but they are still struggling how best to leverage them -
And Nintendo s operating execution has been terrible since the last 1/2+/- of the Wii s lifetime
They are sitting on a boxful of winning lotto tickets but they don t know how to cash them in- Granted it is not an easy task but they need to do a better job of figuring it out, bringing in more fresh blood and taking a few more risks

They did that. They brought in Team Ninja and they made Other M. And Metroid fans hated it.

So what kind of budget would you expect Nintendo to green light for a new metroid if they were to do it?

Dunban67 said:
Wyrdness said:

These sales are over a LT, Metroid often sells something like 300k or so upfront and then legs take it past the million mark, look at OM for reference, you may not count it but Pokemon is the second most famous brand in fact I doubt Metorid is even in the top 5 as Fire Emblem has probably over taken it and Animal Crossing demolishes it. Splatoon may overtake it as well.

Metroid is only famous to those on forums and such.

Pokemon rivals Mario in brand - i just counted Pokemon as The Pokenon Co s IP

Re your response-  As far as sales go you are correct but i am saying Metroid (not including Pokemon) is Nintendo s 3rd strongest brand/IP  as far as brand recognition and brand strength, not sales-   You could argue Donky Kong might be ahead of Metroid but oddly enough i think the Metroid brand has gained strength in recent years with no games  due in part to the amount and depth of fan loyalty/passion as well as Samus part in Smash bros and DK has lost some brand strength even though it has had several good games -  really Samus and Metroid are 2 brands combined into one -   With out Samus the Metroid brand would be much less significant (purely from a brand standpoint not a gaming standpoint)

The Pokemon CO was created by Nintendo to manage the IP as it goes Pokemon is a Nintendo IP.

Metroid is not the 3rd strongest IP in brand recognition I think you're mistaking the fact that because the loud minority online talk about it that the noise translate as such. I guarantee you more people outside of forums recognize Smash, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem and now Splatoon before they do Metroid and I'll even say yes DK is more recognized as well.

Metroid just maintains a niche loyal following and that's it, the only way for that to change would be to change the games themselves and as seen with Fire Emblem that will cause an uproar with old fans, unlike Fire Emblem the changes made won't be able to accomodate both old and new fans it would be a complete reboot. 

Metroid fans have to accept the series is not as big as they think it is and it'll stay that way unless they're willing to accept massive changes to the game's identity.

bunchanumbers said:
Dunban67 said:
Nintendo is great a creating IP/brands but they are still struggling how best to leverage them -
And Nintendo s operating execution has been terrible since the last 1/2+/- of the Wii s lifetime
They are sitting on a boxful of winning lotto tickets but they don t know how to cash them in- Granted it is not an easy task but they need to do a better job of figuring it out, bringing in more fresh blood and taking a few more risks

They did that. They brought in Team Ninja and they made Other M. And Metroid fans hated it.

I should have been more clear-  I was not talking about bringing in fresh blood for Metroid-  I was talking about Nintendo poor execution as a company and their inability to leverage their brands/IP-  They need to bring in fresh blood to the Executive offices in NOJ and to their BOD  -  they also need to give the execs in NA and EU more power, ability to make decsions etc

Around the Network
MTZehvor said:
Pavolink said:
Not bad for Other M!

Eh, the sales numbers don't tell the entire story. It sold much worse than the Prime games at launch, and only managed to reach a million units a full year and a half after its release due to being one of the few Nintendo games to receive significant price drops.

They hoped to sell 3 million at lauch to make it the best selling metroid game, then it  barely reached 800k in its first year or so, i saw several copies 4 years after release at local stores in my country selling for like 5 dollar, even so, i didn't buy the shit.

Wyrdness said:
Dunban67 said:

Pokemon rivals Mario in brand - i just counted Pokemon as The Pokenon Co s IP

Re your response-  As far as sales go you are correct but i am saying Metroid (not including Pokemon) is Nintendo s 3rd strongest brand/IP  as far as brand recognition and brand strength, not sales-   You could argue Donky Kong might be ahead of Metroid but oddly enough i think the Metroid brand has gained strength in recent years with no games  due in part to the amount and depth of fan loyalty/passion as well as Samus part in Smash bros and DK has lost some brand strength even though it has had several good games -  really Samus and Metroid are 2 brands combined into one -   With out Samus the Metroid brand would be much less significant (purely from a brand standpoint not a gaming standpoint)

The Pokemon CO was created by Nintendo to manage the IP as it goes Pokemon is a Nintendo IP.

Metroid is not the 3rd strongest IP in brand recognition I think you're mistaking the fact that because the loud minority online talk about it that the noise translate as such. I guarantee you more people outside of forums recognize Smash, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem and now Splatoon before they do Metroid and I'll even say yes DK is more recognized as well.

Metroid just maintains a niche loyal following and that's it, the only way for that to change would be to change the games themselves and as seen with Fire Emblem that will cause an uproar with old fans, unlike Fire Emblem the changes made won't be able to accomodate both old and new fans it would be a complete reboot. 

Metroid fans have to accept the series is not as big as they think it is and it'll stay that way unless they're willing to accept massive changes to the game's identity.

I think you are still getting game sales confused with "brand strenght"    Metroid is one of Nintenodos biggest brands becasue of Samus -  none of the games you mentioned have a character as well known and established as she is-    

Pokemon Co Owns Pokemon and Nintendo is a minority owner in th ePokemon co-  They may have founded the Pokemon brand but they spun it off-  they do not control the Pokemon co-     So the Pokemon brand is not part of the Nintendo stable of IP s in the same way Mario, Zelda etc is-   There is a difference, that s why I don t include it becasue they don t own it- evn though they have a strong relationship and own part of the Pokemon co

Dunban67 said:

I think you are still getting game sales confused with "brand strenght"    Metroid is one of Nintenodos biggest brands becasue of Samus -  none of the games you mentioned have a character as well known and established as she is-    

Pokemon Co Owns Pokemon and Nintendo is a minority owner in th ePokemon co-  They may have founded the Pokemon brand but they spun it off-  they do not control the Pokemon co-     So the Pokemon brand is not part of the Nintendo stable of IP s in the same way Mario, Zelda etc is-   There is a difference, that s why I don t include it becasue they don t own it- evn though they have a strong relationship and own part of the Pokemon co

It's not me confused on the matter as brand strength is something Metroid is not in the top 3 when it comes to Nintendo IPs sorry mate but you're flat out mistaken on this one, Metroid is only recognize by forum goers and the odd informed person into gaming. Brand Strength of Metroid is not even close to Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, AC, Smash, DK and now Fire Emblem. Metroid even struggles to match up to franchises that were near dormant like Star Fox. Sales are also a part of brand strength the's no getting around that what you're arguing here is brand recognition which isn't the same thing and even then Metroid doesn't come in the top 3 of those either.

No mate Nintendo created PC in a 3 way business deal owning a third of the company before increasing shares, they're a majority shareholder, they let PC operate however they like because it brings them more money much like Microsoft do with Minecraft, it also frees up Nintendo to focus on other things. Why do you think mainline Pokemon games and their spinoffs only ever hit Nintendo platforms and are not multiplatform

No one thinks Metroid is a top 3 Nintendo brand. Lylas Wars/Star Fox is bigger, Kirby is bigger, Animal Crossing is bigger. Mario Kart, Smash, and Pokemon are all much bigger, as are Donkey Kong, Mario, and Zelda.

Metroid is usually not something I think about when thinking of important Nintendo brands. It's kind of one of those brands that people mostly know because of Smash Brothers.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Wyrdness said:
Dunban67 said:

It's not me confused on the matter as brand strength is something Metroid is not in the top 3 when it comes to Nintendo IPs sorry mate but you're flat out mistaken on this one, Metroid is only recognize by forum goers and the odd informed person into gaming. Brand Strength of Metroid is not even close to Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, AC, Smash, DK and now Fire Emblem. Metroid even struggles to match up to franchises that were near dormant like Star Fox. Sales are also a part of brand strength the's no getting around that what you're arguing here is brand recognition which isn't the same thing and even then Metroid doesn't come in the top 3 of those either.

No mate Nintendo created PC in a 3 way business deal owning a third of the company before increasing shares, they're a majority shareholder, they let PC operate however they like because it brings them more money much like Microsoft do with Minecraft, it also frees up Nintendo to focus on other things. Why do you think mainline Pokemon games and their spinoffs only ever hit Nintendo platforms and are not multiplatform

You don t understand the difference in a game and a brand-  Smash is a game consisting of alot of brands -  It is a popular game

Metroid is a big and very marketable brand due to Samus-  She is the face of the Metroid brand -  like Mario, and Link-   Fire Emblem Animal Crossing etc  does not have  a recognizable face even though they are popular games -  

You need to do your homework re Pokemon-  They are not the majority shareholder in Pokemon-  there has been plenty of news and even a statement from Nintendo re this due to the confusion over who was to benifit most from Pokemon Go-  you can also look up Nintendo s Annual report in english online-  it is all there-    If Nintendo was a majority owner of the Pokemon co,  then it woud be a subsidiary of Nintendo which it is not-  Nintenod aslo owns a minority intrest in the Niantic co along w Google and others