By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Mike Ybarra teases Age of Empires on Xbox

As long as it comes to PC and they've sorted out the Windows Store issues (a big 'if' admittedly) then I'd definitely be up for that. Absolutely adore the original games.

Around the Network

Paladins!

Scoobes said:
As long as it comes to PC and they've sorted out the Windows Store issues (a big 'if' admittedly) then I'd definitely be up for that. Absolutely adore the original games.

I hope they don't fix the Windows Store issues and instead are forced to release it on Steam. I want my games to be at the same place as much as possible and Steam is much more social, which is especially important for a multiplayer game.

CGI-Quality said:
KungKras said:
Great another console RTS that I'll happily ignore when there could have been a proper sequel on PC.

If it still comes to PC, which it likely will, what's the issue?

I imagine making the game work with the gamepad means the gameplay will be different?

CGI-Quality said:
Barkley said:

I imagine making the game work with the gamepad means the gameplay will be different?

Does it?

Sure... I can't imagine Age of Empires working on a gamepad without alterations to it's mechanics, specifically movement and unit selection. The game will be built from the ground up to be console friendly, thus it will be different from a PC Exclusive RTS game such as the original Age of Empires titles.

AOK was on PS2 of course, but that was a simple cash grab a couple of years after the original... and it was bad.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Barkley said:

Sure... I can't imagine Age of Empires working on a gamepad without alterations to it's mechanics, specifically movement and unit selection. The game will be built from the ground up to be console friendly, thus it will be different from a PC Exclusive RTS game such as the original Age of Empires titles.

AOK was on PS2 of course, but that wasn't a simple cash grab a couple of years after the original... and it was bad.

Where is the indiciation that it will be built for a console gamepad, specifically?

"#Xbox"

what i want him to tease is AoE 4

CGI-Quality said:
Barkley said:

"#Xbox"

Um, so because the Xbox is mentioned means it will be tailored to it? That was my question. Why couldn't it work the other way around?

While Xbox games are coming to PC, I highly doubt Microsoft are going to start prioritizing the PC versions over the Console versions of games any time soon. 

But regardless of that, when making a strategy game for both Console and PC surely it makes more sense to prioritize the interface for Consoles. PC's don't have any trouble with strategy games, so it's the console you're going to build the interactions, controls and mechanics around.

I'm sure Halo Wars 2 is designed around the limitations of a gamepad, and I fully expect this would be the same.

CGI-Quality said:

In Halo Wars 2's case, I'm sure, as it was originally an Xbox-only franchise. What I'm still not understanding is why a PC exclusive RTS differs so greatly than an Xbox/PC title. How are the keyboard/mouse interactions vastly different?

Selecting units with a mouse is a lot faster and more accurate. In a PC rts game you will be able to select and isolate a singular unit that is surrounded by hundreds of other units, with a gamepad you will have a large innacurate cursor. In a console rts units are less likely to be many individual entities and are most likely put into larger groups.

Basically you'll probably be controlling and building a few squads of units, rather than many individual units, that's the main thing. There'll be less micro management when it comes to moving units on a gamepad-friendly rts.

Would love a new Age of Empires either to build on 2 or a Victorian Era/Modern Era RTS.