By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 4k Confutation

The great thing about PC is your ability to choose what you want.

Don't want to spend money on Multiple GPU's for 4k? Then don't.
Buy one GPU and enjoy 1080P or 1440P or 1600P.

I am running 1440P at the moment. (Having downgraded from 7680x1440) and as a resolution it suits me fine, I do have the intention of upgrading to a 30" 4k panel sometime early next year.

Just remember... You are free to choose on the PC, the only real limiter is how much cash you have in that wallet of yours.. Heck you can even go better than 4k.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
DragonRouge said:

You are not alone in this, its one of the reasons why I think Neo and Scorpio are stupid ideas.

I agree that Neo and Scorpio are bad idea only because all there doing if offering a resolution bump. With PCs you get alot more than just resolution and also the choice between playing a game at 30 or 60. Thats why i shook my head at this gen of consoles when all i heard was 1080p. Theres alot more to do to  visuals than more pixels

Errrr.... so you feel that all this gen of consoles has brought over the previous one is a resolution bump?

I really hope next gen or the neo/scorpio doesnt focus on 4k. it seems like a complete waste of resources. its going to set us back 5 years.

Pemalite said:
The great thing about PC is your ability to choose what you want.

Don't want to spend money on Multiple GPU's for 4k? Then don't.
Buy one GPU and enjoy 1080P or 1440P or 1600P.

I am running 1440P at the moment. (Having downgraded from 7680x1440) and as a resolution it suits me fine, I do have the intention of upgrading to a 30" 4k panel sometime early next year.

Just remember... You are free to choose on the PC, the only real limiter is how much cash you have in that wallet of yours.. Heck you can even go better than 4k.

This is what PC gaming is all about.

To OP

I, for example, hate aliasing. I am really susceptible to noticing aliasing, so playing at extremely high resolutions is positively in my best interest, I don't have to compromise framerate though since I have a 980ti tri-SLI, but I can see how some people would prefer resolution over framerate if they don't have the necessary hardware to run games at 4K60FPS.

Also, there actually is no hypocrisy, (ok maybe there is some) because like I emphasised before PC gaming is about choosing what YOU want.The PC gaming community isn't all one homogeneous group, there are literally hundreds of different performance brackets and millions of people with different gaming priorities and they all have the choice to use their hardware resources in any way they want.

Intrinsic said:
Azzanation said:

I agree that Neo and Scorpio are bad idea only because all there doing if offering a resolution bump. With PCs you get alot more than just resolution and also the choice between playing a game at 30 or 60. Thats why i shook my head at this gen of consoles when all i heard was 1080p. Theres alot more to do to  visuals than more pixels

Errrr.... so you feel that all this gen of consoles has brought over the previous one is a resolution bump?

No im saying all the talk was about 1080p this generation and in most PC to Console comparisons, the amount of games butchered to just achieve this 1080p is ridiculous. Games are running at medium or lower settings instead of high or Ultra at lower res.

The upsetting thing for me with console hardware is they choose how you want to play. Where as PC you choose how you want to play.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Intrinsic said:

No im saying all the talk was about 1080p this generation and in most PC to Console comparisons, the amount of games butchered to just achieve this 1080p is ridiculous. Games are running at medium or lower settings instead of high or Ultra at lower res.

The upsetting thing for me with console hardware is they choose how you want to play. Where as PC you choose how you want to play.

I can understand that. Its the nature of the bseat so to speak.

Console is about unified tailor made experiences. Games are built to take advantage of the limited hardware best way its seen fit. PCs are more open. But it all comes down to price and ease of access. Take the PS4s right now, by all indications by the end of this month you will be able to wall into a store and walk out with a $249 "900p/1080p) box. I doubt it will be possible to build a PC from scratch with that kinda money without some ingenuity on the users part. 

One of my issues with this is that the hardware manufactures should know that the people investing in consoles aren't really big on rez and 4k. they simply just don't care about those things the way the people that take their time to build a PC would. I just had a friend two days ago gaming his XB1 on a 40" 1080p tv and not even knowing that he was gaming in 480p for the last year. Until I changed his video setting and he suddenly starts going OMG the image is so clear. 

But the people that review these games and talk about them are enthusiasts, and they are making this whole rez nonsense more important than they should be. 

I think that we focus to much on 4k, there are plenty of different resolutions between 1080p and 4k. 4k is four times the resolution of 1080p. It really is a gigantic step.

I'll be really happy if consoles could do 3k/60fps. That would already be awesome. 4k/60fps is just not affordable right now.

But the marketing knows all the sheeps want 4K, so well...

Intrinsic said:
Eddie_Raja said:
All the OP demonstrated is he doesn't get what a resolution is.

Intersting. Please enlighten me. Unless of course this is just a silly attempt at trying to sound smart. 

Higher framerates, like resolutions: require more horsepower.

So yeah I remember 10 years ago turning up settings so I could run Crysis in 720p at 30 FPS in Ultra.  Yeah medium with 60 FPS was also doable, but the game looked so pretty at those settings I found it to be better.

If you are in E-Sports high FPS is better than ALL.  But if you are just relaxing 4K@30 FPS > 1080p@60 FPS.  Especially in newer games that REQUIRE higher resolutions to even see some of the details.   It is like putting on glasses for the first time.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Intrinsic said:

Anyways. feel free to think whatever you want to think. Go right ahead and turn this into some kinda stupid fanboy war....

You turned it into one when you talked about PC gamers being hypocrites, then going on to say about them pissing on consoles users. You structured it exactly as such to start a pissing console vs PC war, if you didn't you wouldn't be wording it that way at all let alone set it up like that.

DF aren't entirely geared towards PC, they do what the average joe can do which is benchmarking, posting some numbers and acting like they know the rest. There are plenty of people out there who do what DF do, they aren't the holy grail, the last word and they never will be (Seriously I watch multiple folk on YT who do what DF do, they are a dime a dozen).

I game with a GTX 980 and play at 1920x1080 with 60fps for the majority of my games. I could hardly give a care for 4k because as far as things go (same with VR in it's current state), it's not on my priorities list, if anything next year I'll be aiming at 1440p 60fps because that's what I want. Many of my mates both where I live and on the net game at 1080p 60fps with maybe the odd one or two gaming at 1440p and maybe 4k. You may look at some forums and DF, but at the end of the day, they are not the majority, they are not the say so of PC gamers, to claim as such would be generalizing the entire userbase.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
Intrinsic said:

Anyways. feel free to think whatever you want to think. Go right ahead and turn this into some kinda stupid fanboy war....

You turned it into one when you talked about PC gamers being hypocrites, then going on to say about them pissing on consoles users. You structured it exactly as such to start a pissing console vs PC war, if you didn't you wouldn't be wording it that way at all let alone set it up like that.

DF aren't entirely geared towards PC, they do what the average joe can do which is benchmarking, posting some numbers and acting like they know the rest. There are plenty of people out there who do what DF do, they aren't the holy grail, the last word and they never will be (Seriously I watch multiple folk on YT who do what DF do, they are a dime a dozen).

I game with a GTX 980 and play at 1920x1080 with 60fps for the majority of my games. I could hardly give a care for 4k because as far as things go (same with VR in it's current state), it's not on my priorities list, if anything next year I'll be aiming at 1440p 60fps because that's what I want. Many of my mates both where I live and on the net game at 1080p 60fps with maybe the odd one or two gaming at 1440p and maybe 4k. You may look at some forums and DF, but at the end of the day, they are not the majority, they are not the say so of PC gamers, to claim as such would be generalizing the entire userbase.

Thanks. That pretty much sums up exactly what I'm saying. You, like most of your friends and probably like the majority of PC gamers out there game on 1080p hardware. And then a fewer number on 1440p and then a rare few on 4k.

Now you may find this hard to believe, but majority of the PC gamers I have come across and I'm sure many others here or on other forums feel or have noticed the same thing talk about specs and hardware as if they are running some God tier 8k rig. They talk like everyone and their uncle games on a 1080 GPU or a Titan XP. Consoles are pushing 1080p, that's so weak my gaming PC can do1440p. You have no idea what you are missing till you see it. Then a console is doing something better than 1440p and they go native 4k is where it's at. I can build a 4k machine for that.... it never ends.

Anyways, I didn't set out to start anything. Just saying it as it is, I'm sure there are a lot of PC gamers that don't do the hypocritical shit I was referring to. But those that do are unfortunately the loud ones.