By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Time Magazine Lists Their Top 50 Video Games Of All-Time

John19 said:
It seems they did a lot more of "influential" type games instead of games of higher quality. Don't really agree with the list on many things.

Alot of people, including myself, consider everything when thinking of "best" games. Think about it. What's more impressive. The first human to invent the wheel? Or the guy who made F1 tires? To come up with a world changing idea... to be the very first person to have and idea that changes the world... to me, that's so much more impressive than someone taking said idea and simply improving on it. 

What Miyamoto did with the first SMB is so much more provound and impressive than what they did with SMB3, that I'd always rank the original over it even if SMB3 a better, more streamlined game. Being able to create something that great from NOTHING? To me, that negates the advantage of SMB3's better gameplay.

Around the Network

Tetris #1 lol.No Chrono Trigger, FF6 at 12.Minecraft at 6 and Counterstrike at 15(shouldnt be even on the list)No Diablo 2, the list goes on.Not a terrible list, but not a good one either.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

John19 said:
AZWification said:

Then they should have named the list " The top 50 most influential video games of all time". 

I think it'd certainly make more sense compared to a Top 50 Games List, especially considering some of the choices, and lack there of

Pretty much. Even then there are some random choices, Rise of the Tomb Raider at 18? I don't see how Tetris would be number 1 even if this list was about influential games!  >__>

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Ffvi on the 12th place, and where are other jrpg's?

AZWification said:
John19 said:
It seems they did a lot more of "influential" type games instead of games of higher quality. Don't really agree with the list on many things.

Then they should have named the list " The top 50 most influential video games of all time". 

Yeah but then there's Rise of the Tomb Raider on the list... which while I'm sure it's really good isn't really influencial.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
John19 said:

Alot of people, including myself, consider everything when thinking of "best" games. Think about it. What's more impressive. The first human to invent the wheel? Or the guy who made F1 tires? To come up with a world changing idea... to be the very first person to have and idea that changes the world... to me, that's so much more impressive than someone taking said idea and simply improving on it. 

What Miyamoto did with the first SMB is so much more provound and impressive than what they did with SMB3, that I'd always rank the original over it even if SMB3 a better, more streamlined game. Being able to create something that great from NOTHING? To me, that negates the advantage of SMB3's better gameplay.

Yeah, but the list isn't a most impressive list, it's a best list. So saying the wheel is is better than today's tires is nonsense. Sure, it is definitely more impressive, but it isn't the best, which is the point of this list. Besides, it's all merely opinion. All I'm saying is that the list would of been better named most influential/impressive games of all time compared to best, and even then there are some random choices that don't really have a place on the list either way you look at it.

the top 20 list is really a joke xD No amazing story game in the list ?!!!!! What is with Metal Gear Solid 1/3, Yakuza 2, Persona 3 & 4, The Last of Us ?
Or other Blockbuster-Games with great story and great gameplay like Uncharted 4, GTA 5 or something ? Or new games like Witcher 3, Bloodborne ?

This list is almost like my list, but no way they would put list like that, it's almost like top 50 most influenced games of all time or something, no, the list is op, i've seen many people did this exact same like millions time.

John19 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Yeah, but the list isn't a most impressive list, it's a best list. So saying the wheel is is better than today's tires is nonsense. Sure, it is definitely more impressive, but it isn't the best, which is the point of this list. Besides, it's all merely opinion. All I'm saying is that the list would of been better named most influential/impressive games of all time compared to best, and even then there are some random choices that don't really have a place on the list either way you look at it.

I guess it depends on what a person is refering to when they say "best". That's all I was talking about. I guess the person who made this list was thinking along those lines. Although, the list sucks anyway. SM64 is not more influencial than SMB as 3D platforming is all but dead and 2D platforming has been popular for three decades. It's a total guess as to wtf who ever it was was thinking.

Neodegenerate said:
The only piece of this list I agree with is that FFVI is ahead of FFVII. Otherwise, just looks like a list put together by someone who played a game or two and decided they knew it all.

Ffvi is the best ff that ever was, great story, amazing characters, two big worlds, and for that time very good graphics