By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Time Magazine Lists Their Top 50 Video Games Of All-Time

Here are my thoughts on this:

· As the grandfather of first person shooters, I'm really glad Wolfenstein 3D is here. I'm not sure I'd rank it that high, but I'm really glad it was featured.

· I like the fact that Ocarina of Time isn't on the top spot, which was what I inmediately thought when I read the title.

· Talking about number one, Tetris being there...eh. I certainly don't feel like replaying it anymore, so I would have preferred Super Mario 64 taking its spot, honestly. In fact I pretty much would have preferred anything else.

· Minecraft? The sixth? I'm struggling to find the criteria here. Then again, Ms. Pac-Man? The fifth?

· The first The Legend of Zelda is a great game, but heck, A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening or Minish Cap are far better games than it. Not because it is bad, not really, but because they improved and perfected the 2D top-view Zelda formula.

· Ocarina of Time in the top three. Boo.

· No FF VIII on the list is a big mistake.

· No Knights of the Old Republic in the list is a big mistake.

· No Dragon's Dogma in the list is a big mistake.

· No Dark/Demon's Soulsborne in the list (just pick one, I don't care which one) is a big mistake.

· Grand Theft Auto III over its sequels? Don't get me wrong, GTA III was a landmark for the franchise, but pretty much every next entry is superior in almost every single way. Particulary Vice City.

· I really, really like Braid, but I struggle to think of reasons to put it in a Top 50 considering some other games that deserve its spot much more. Like The Talos Principle, for example.

· It's just me or is this list completely lacking horror games? No, Resident Evil 4 doesn't count. Sorry if I don't count karate-ing Mexican Spanish people while parkouring some deadly lasers while you attack a military base with the aid of an helicopter as horror per se. I guess it is action-horror, but I hope you get my point.

· Rise of the Tomb Raider...hmmmmm, I mean, I haven't played it, but if it is anything like the reboot from 2013, then get the fuck out of here. Half random shit that made zero sense (but the game still tried to make it look like it could) and half Lara moans doesn't constitute as a great game, I'm afraid.

· Donkey Kong, Galaga, Space Invaders...I mean, sure, they were (are?) great games, but how time has affected them should really count here. And while I guess you could just play some flash version of Space Invaders out there and have fun, the 1979 game is in no way good enough to be on this list.

· Fallout: New Vegas should take priority over Fallout 3. Fallout 1 or 2 should take priority over New Vegas.

Around the Network

No Super Mario World on #1?

There are some ridiculous omissions and inclusions in that list.

Rise of the tomb raider? I would understand tomb raider period but not RotTR. But then no uncharted which the tomb raider reboot is obviously inspired by?

Then no TLoU? one of the most highly rated games of all time..... but ok fine.

And no wipeout????? 

Wright said:

Here are my thoughts on this:

· As the grandfather of first person shooters, I'm really glad Wolfenstein 3D is here. I'm not sure I'd rank it that high, but I'm really glad it was featured.

· I like the fact that Ocarina of Time isn't on the top spot, which was what I inmediately thought when I read the title.

· Talking about number one, Tetris being there...eh. I certainly don't feel like replaying it anymore, so I would have preferred Super Mario 64 taking its spot, honestly. In fact I pretty much would have preferred anything else.

· Minecraft? The sixth? I'm struggling to find the criteria here. Then again, Ms. Pac-Man? The fifth?

· The first The Legend of Zelda is a great game, but heck, A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening or Minish Cap are far better games than it. Not because it is bad, not really, but because they improved and perfected the 2D top-view Zelda formula.

· Ocarina of Time in the top three. Boo.

· No FF VIII on the list is a big mistake.

· No Knights of the Old Republic in the list is a big mistake.

· No Dragon's Dogma in the list is a big mistake.

· No Dark/Demon's Soulsborne in the list (just pick one, I don't care which one) is a big mistake.

· Grand Theft Auto III over its sequels? Don't get me wrong, GTA III was a landmark for the franchise, but pretty much every next entry is superior in almost every single way. Particulary Vice City.

· I really, really like Braid, but I struggle to think of reasons to put it in a Top 50 considering some other games that deserve its spot much more. Like The Talos Principle, for example.

· It's just me or is this list completely lacking horror games? No, Resident Evil 4 doesn't count. Sorry if I don't count karate-ing Mexican Spanish people while parkouring some deadly lasers while you attack a military base with the aid of an helicopter as horror per se. I guess it is action-horror, but I hope you get my point.

· Rise of the Tomb Raider...hmmmmm, I mean, I haven't played it, but if it is anything like the reboot from 2013, then get the fuck out of here. Half random shit that made zero sense (but the game still tried to make it look like it could) and half Lara moans doesn't constitute as a great game, I'm afraid.

· Donkey Kong, Galaga, Space Invaders...I mean, sure, they were (are?) great games, but how time has affected them should really count here. And while I guess you could just play some flash version of Space Invaders out there and have fun, the 1979 game is in no way good enough to be on this list.

· Fallout: New Vegas should take priority over Fallout 3. Fallout 1 or 2 should take priority over New Vegas.

Some very good ideas in this post. Bolded my favs.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Well at least they listed FF6 over 7 i guess.

Around the Network

Where the heck is Bayou Billy? How can I take this serious?

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

Zelda (NES) should be higher than Ocarina of time!

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

I checked the full list and they must have mistakenly left off Leisure Suit Larry.
I'll email them to get it corrected, so no one fret!

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

ZODIARKrebirth said:
Neodegenerate said:
The only piece of this list I agree with is that FFVI is ahead of FFVII. Otherwise, just looks like a list put together by someone who played a game or two and decided they knew it all.

Ffvi is the best ff that ever was, great story, amazing characters, two big worlds, and for that time very good graphics

I agree.  To me it is the greatest video game ever produced.

More a list with influential games or ones historically important instead, with a couple others thrown in here and there. In that sense not terrible, though it still misses a bunch of monumental ones in that case.