By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Tegra X1 successor Detailed by Nvidia (likely NX SoC)

vivster said:
Good thing that Nintendo always uses high end cutting edge technology or else people might think this is NOT the NX SOC.

This is a relatively low cost and definitely low power solution. That is up Nintendo's ally for its solutions. This will allow Nintendo to keep a small portable form factor while delivering a game console that is capable of pushing the latest gaming tech.

This is not a far-fetched solution.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
JEMC said:

The two problems I see with that chip are that

A) It features the same 256 shader units (or cores) that the older X1 model. Sure, they are Pascal based instead of Maxwell, but the performance won't be much higher. All that without knowing the frequency it will run at, which is crucial for Pascal.

And B) As fatslob noted in another thread, Nvidia has gone with a "big.SUPER" approach instead of the "big.LITTLE" one found in the X1 and most mobile chips. That would drain the battery a lot faster.

Simply put, Nvidia hasn't designed the Tegra Parker/X2 with gaming in mind. The X1 would be a better choice for Nintendo.

The thing is one of their slides specifically mentions automotive and *gaming* functionality specifically for that CPU config though, so I dunno. 

Probable the chip underclocks in portable mode. 

Never trust everything you see on a slide.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Soundwave said:

Yeah LCD displays are the least of Nintendo's worries. I see 1280x800 7-inch tablets for like $99 retail. They'll be able to get a decent screen for dirt cheap thanks to the mobile boom those components cost peanuts now. It might actually cost more money for them to find a screen that's lower resolution than that because no one makes them, lol. 

I think it's easy. Vita doesn't sell a lot and Sony still manages to find 540p screens. NX will have to use a dedicated scren anyway, since most 720p screens today are pretty bad low-end panels. What they want is a good, low res panel.

JEMC said:
Soundwave said:

The thing is one of their slides specifically mentions automotive and *gaming* functionality specifically for that CPU config though, so I dunno. 

I'm not saying this is what Nintendo is doing but if their philosophy is to have PS4 ports just at a lower resolution, they then may be forced to have to keep a reasonably powerful CPU, because CPU processing doesn't scale down nearly as well, where for graphics you can do things like reduce the number of pixels that need to be rendered by 1/3 (600p res) or even 1/4 (540p res) for portable play. 

Einsam_Delphin said:
Where are you getting the "most likely NX" from? Just speculation or is there actually a hint somewhere in all that tech talk?

speculation based on the many rumors/reports oh there is a hint in the slides.

JEMC said:

A) It features the same 256 shader units (or cores) that the older X1 model. Sure, they are Pascal based instead of Maxwell, but the performance won't be much higher. All that without knowing the frequency it will run at, which is crucial for Pascal.

And B) As fatslob noted in another thread, Nvidia has gone with a "big.SUPER" approach instead of the "big.LITTLE" one found in the X1 and most mobile chips. That would drain the battery a lot faster.

Simply put, Nvidia hasn't designed the Tegra Parker/X2 with gaming in mind. The X1 would be a better choice for Nintendo.

Below pic is taken from Nvidia slide "sufficient thread count for automotive and gaming applications."

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
JEMC said:

The chip Nintendo uses may just be a Pascal version of the X1 though since there doesn't seem to be a huge difference in performance from X1 to X2. Maybe by using Pascal architecture and shrinking to 16nm it gives Nintendo enough leeway to run the TX1 level performance at full clock without needing a fan or something. 

Not a huge difference in perfomance you say? With doubled memory bandwith?

Miyamotoo said:
Werix357 said:

Yeah I definitely think that will be the case as it will give the NX a bit longer life on the technical side.

You think last Tegra chip will last more than Wii U hardware that on Wii U launch was already around 5+ years old!? :)

;)

Soundwave said:
JEMC said:

I'm not saying this is what Nintendo is doing but if their philosophy is to have PS4 ports just at a lower resolution, they then may be forced to have to keep a reasonably powerful CPU, because CPU processing doesn't scale down nearly as well, where for graphics you can do things like reduce the number of pixels that need to be rendered by 1/3 (600p res) or even 1/4 (540p res) for portable play. 

Nintendo said that it wanted to appeal both casuals and core gamers, not that they wanted to get PS4 ports.

They can appeal to "core gamers" by, given that they won't need to develop 2 versions of several games (as always, if they go hybrid), develop new IPs that can appeal to that market like Splatoon or Xenoblade do.

Werix357 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
Where are you getting the "most likely NX" from? Just speculation or is there actually a hint somewhere in all that tech talk?

speculation based on the many rumors/reports oh there is a hint in the slides.

JEMC said:

Below pic is taken from Nvidia slide "sufficient thread count for automotive and gaming applications."

Yes, it has enough power to run games, but that doesn't mean that it's good at it or that it's what it was designed for.

There's a reason why Nvidia has improved the CPU side of the X2 so much compared to the graphics side, and also why they have only shown it in the Drive PX2 platform, that doesn't have to worry about power consumption or heat.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Miyamotoo said:
vivster said:
Good thing that Nintendo always uses high end cutting edge technology or else people might think this is NOT the NX SOC.

To be fair Wall Street Journal reported in October that Nintendo NX will use "industry-leading chips", that pretty sums this X2.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/10/16/9550113/wsj-nintendo-nx-console-handheld

But they also said it would be a home console with a separate component that could be taken anywhere. This isn't the case if we're going off the tablet dock station rumor.

bigtakilla said:
Miyamotoo said:

To be fair Wall Street Journal reported in October that Nintendo NX will use "industry-leading chips", that pretty sums this X2.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/10/16/9550113/wsj-nintendo-nx-console-handheld

But they also said it would be a home console with a separate component that could be taken anywhere. This isn't the case if we're going off the tablet dock station rumor.

Thats basically same concept, based unit is home console and you can take with you handheld, ofcourse they didn't know all details year ago, but concept is basically same, hybrid platform.