By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Tegra X1 successor Detailed by Nvidia (likely NX SoC)

Even though I'm sure Nintendo will try their best to brand this very differently for obvious reasons, this seems like this is Wii U-2, that's probably the best comparable.

Take a Wii U.

Keep the screen size the exact same (6.2), but up the screen resolution to 720p.

Throw out the console for a dock. Chip in now inside the Wii U tablet itself. Tegra X2 is an OK but not full generation leap over Wii U.

Add some infared sensors and detachable controllers for different gameplay experience.

But it does seem to be basically built off the Wii U. I remember Iwata saying when designing the Wii U early on they experimented with putting the chipset inside the controller itself but the technology simply wasn't close to making that feasible.

Today, it is with microconsoles like the Shield.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Even though I'm sure Nintendo will try their best to brand this very differently for obvious reasons, this seems like this is Wii U-2, that's probably the best comparable.

Take a Wii U.

Keep the screen size the exact same (6.2), but up the screen resolution to 720p.

Throw out the console for a dock. Chip in now inside the Wii U tablet itself. Tegra X2 is an OK but not full generation leap over Wii U.

Add some infared sensors and detachable controllers for different gameplay experience.

But it does seem to be basically built off the Wii U. I remember Iwata saying when designing the Wii U early on they experimented with putting the chipset inside the controller itself but the technology simply wasn't close to making that feasible.

I kind of think that there's still life left in the Wii U.  There's a lot of stuff that they could do with asymmetrical gaming, and if the detachable controller rumors are true, it should be a lot easier to convey to consumers.  

But, it's not going to succeed without third party support, and that's not happening with the Tegra 2, unless the system absolutely flies out of the gate.  Based on what we've heard so far, I don't see a reason it will be a huge starting success.

JWeinCom said:
Soundwave said:

Take a Wii U.

I kind of think that there's still life left in the Wii U.  There's a lot of stuff that they could do with asymmetrical gaming, and if the detachable controller rumors are true, it should be a lot easier to convey to consumers.  

But, it's not going to succeed without third party support, and that's not happening with the Tegra 2, unless the system absolutely flies out of the gate.  Based on what we've heard so far, I don't see a reason it will be a huge starting success.

It's not going to have the same level of support as the PS4/XB1. We can just let that idea go right now, it ain't happening. Maybe 1/2 or 1/3 the support optimistically. 

It will be similar to the 3DS, probably better because far more games are possible due to the monstrous leap in processing power. This is like a 60x power increase from the 3DS, it's a monstrous, monstrous leap ahead (a PS4/XB1 are only like a 5-7x leap over the PS3/360). If the 3DS was actually capable of running some modern engines, I imagine there would be a lot more games for it. Dragon Quest Builders, Dragon Quest Heroes, Tekken 7, Resident Evil Revelations 3, Minecraft, Final Fantasy X HD, maybe even EA Sports titles and Call of Duty. No GTA or Witcher or Elder Scrolls things like that most likely though. 

I actually think there's a pretty good chance NX for example will get Final Fantasy VII Remake. S-E will have to rework it for the NX specs and sacrifice some details here and there ... but the upside is worth it because NX is likely to do very well in Japan. 

I think they will allow Android games too, and while that might not impress anyone, there are always a continious flow of games on Android and there are some Android games that would be pretty damn fun to play especially with physical controls. So there's that which could be a factor also. 

Soundwave said:

It's not going to have the same level of support as the PS4/XB1. We can just let that idea go right now, it ain't happening. Maybe 1/2 or 1/3 the support optimistically. 

It will be similar to the 3DS, probably better because far more games are possible due to the monstrous leap in processing power. This is like a 60x power increase from the 3DS, it's a monstrous, monstrous leap ahead (a PS4/XB1 are only like a 5-7x leap over the PS3/360). If the 3DS was actually capable of running some modern engines, I imagine there would be a lot more games for it. Dragon Quest Builders, Dragon Quest Heroes, Tekken 7, Resident Evil Revelations 3, Minecraft, Final Fantasy X HD, maybe even EA Sports titles and Call of Duty. No GTA or Witcher or Elder Scrolls things like that most likely though. 

I actually think there's a pretty good chance NX for example will get Final Fantasy VII Remake. S-E will have to rework it for the NX specs and sacrifice some details here and there ... but the upside is worth it because NX is likely to do very well in Japan. 

I think they will allow Android games too, and while that might not impress anyone, there are always a continious flow of games on Android and there are some Android games that would be pretty damn fun to play especially with physical controls. So there's that which could be a factor also. 

Soundwave said:
JWeinCom said:

I don't really think Android games are a big draw, and maybe not any draw at all.  There's already so many devices that do android games.  

What modern engines did the 3DS use?  I know it used Capcom's MT Framework, but I don't know of any others.  It's easier to scale games down these days, but it still has to be worth the effort.

If it had half the support, I'd honestly be ok with that.  It would be a huge improvement over the Wii U, and even an improvement over the Wii.  But I don't think that will happen, assuming rumors are correct.

The only thing that might change that is a if the docking station can increase the power, possibly as an add on.  That would change things, although it also raises its own issues.  

JWeinCom said:
Soundwave said:

Soundwave said:

I don't really think Android games are a big draw, and maybe not any draw at all.  There's already so many devices that do android games.  

What modern engines did the 3DS use?  I know it used Capcom's MT Framework, but I don't know of any others.  It's easier to scale games down these days, but it still has to be worth the effort.

If it had half the support, I'd honestly be ok with that.  It would be a huge improvement over the Wii U, and even an improvement over the Wii.  But I don't think that will happen, assuming rumors are correct.

The only thing that might change that is a if the docking station can increase the power, possibly as an add on.  That would change things, although it also raises its own issues.  

It's not so much that Android games need to be a draw, but I think Nintendo needs them because kids are not going to stop playing Android apps and even the social media/video/music apps (Instagram, etc.) .... kids love that. If Nintendo is going to ask kids to choose between the apps they love and a Nintendo tablet ... they are going to lose that battle. And there are constant new apps being made, some games I would not mind at all being able to play with real control (especially a lot of those Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest games). 

1/2 support from traditional developers I'll admit might even be pushing it. 1/3 would probably be more realistic, this is not going to challenge a PS4/XB1, it's something for if you want to play a "real" Resident Evil or Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy or maybe something like an Assassin's Creed or Batman game in a portable state, this is probably your ticket.