By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - How are white people supposed to feel about their own race?

SpokenTruth said:
DonFerrari said:

In USA it does, you have the "one drop of blood" thing. I could even show a report that surfaced in Brazil about a girl that tanned her skin and pretended to be black (because she identified as one) and were kicked of the movement while a white guy were accepted in some decades before because he had one ancestor that was black.

And sorry to break your bubble, but the vocal part of the minorities are the ones that use (and sometimes set) those movements exactly to request special privileges, and guess what, being the vocal of the group they sometimes get what they want while using the others as leverage.

The one drop rule may still be common in Brazil but it's not been an active system in the US since the 1940's.  If it were, I'd have to identify as Native American.

As for minority groups requesting special privilege, again, that isn't the case.  Perhaps that's the case in Brazil.  I can't say.  I do know your president Dilma Rousseff was impeached and was known for doling out funds and privileges to "squeeky wheels" as it were.   So perhaps that's the situation in Brazil.  Privileges get demanded and filled.  In the US, it's just equality they demand.

http://veja.abril.com.br/mundo/branca-ou-negra-homem-ou-mulher/ I know you don't read portuguese, but this is on Rachel Dolezal and in this report there isn't a mention to a former president of NAACP that had white skin but had one black ancestor and considered himself black and was accepted as such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule doesn't seem to have any mention of it being overruled even if wiki isn't thrustworthy.

And on Brazil again, most people (outside the minority movements) doesn't give a shit on this race identification. But since I'm white skinned and my brother is brown skinned and both 3/4 slave heritage (and on this we basically had met our great grandparents that were son and daugther of slaves) how would you classify each since you want to define I'm not a minority (and I'm, because I consider the individual the biggest and single minority there is)?

You can pretend as much as you want that there isn't a plethora of people asking for privileges (like quotas) pretending to be demands for equality. Because by law in Brazil (and as far as I know in the USA currently) everyone is equal by the law, but we have people in Brazil that push for classification on homicide to include feminicide and gaycide, discrimination law to be straight on white against black or hetero versus homo, etc.

One set of special rights we do have is woman retire earlier, live longer, are 10x less likely to get killed (or most forms of violence) than men but still demand special law to protect them, while gay people also are less likely to get killed (you can pull the statistic if you want) but they also want special law for protection.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
AbbathTheGrim said:

When they look in the mirror and recognize their race, what are the correct and acceptable feelings white people should feel towards their own race?

Do you believe white people cannot feel pride about their own race without that pride implying racism?

Is pride in your own race only ok when that pride comes from being a minority and being an oppressed race?

How do you think white people should feel about their own race?

You should take a whole bunch of Pride WTF?!?

But if Trump gets in office, well it's time to reflect.

hatmoza said:
Moonlighter said:

Peggy is a reaserch scientist and Harvard PhD student... and she's white. For you to dismiss her work as something from buzzfeed actually makes me very interested in seeing you "dismantling" all 50 points one by one.

I look forward to it.

She earned hr PhD through what exacty? Women's studies? Looked up some information on her: She teaches English, American studies, and Women's studies. I earned my B.A. degree and will be going to grad school soon to study more about law. That doesn't mean I will discredit someone who hasn't earned no degree whatsoever on philosophical ideas. In fact, most of the greatest historians we studied in school (such as Frederick Douglass) never went to an actual school and taught themselves how to read and write. A research scientist isn't a "scientist" per se. My mentor in College had a doctorate in English studies. The doctor in the name in this means title, not the name given to a medical practitioner.

Let me break down some of the examples I found ridiculous:

"I can talk with my mouth full and not have people put this down to my color."

In this case, I don't see what she's trying to say. As a child, my mother would hit me right in the mouth if I chewed with my mouth open as I ate. As a result, I don't eat with my mouth open because it reminds me of it. Did she hit me because it was a "black" thing to do? No. On the contrary, she said to me countless of times that it was something poor people did. Poor people can be any color. If one has to associate black as mainly being poor in this equation, then quite frankly, they are looking to make anything about race.

" I can easily buy posters, post-cards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys and children's magazines featuring people of my race."

How is this an advantage? Does the president have to be a lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, black, white, obese, anorexic, muscular, paraplegic, man and woman all at the same time for absolultely everyone to identify with him/her? I'm failing to see why any of that matters when what's important in the post card, picture book, greeting card, doll, toy, etc. isn't the color, but what they stand for.

" I am not made acutely aware that my shape, bearing or body odor will be taken as a reflection on my race."

Every single person (of any race) has different proportions in size compared to everyone else. I don't even know where on earth body odor comes into play with race here. There are people that do present stronger odors than others because of their genetics, but that can be a person of any color.

"I can be late to a meeting without having the lateness reflect on my race."

This one I got into detail with the other poster.

I might actually make a video about this on YouTube, explaining why the rest of the things said by her are ridiculous. Thanks for bringing up the link, in all honesty. Much more detail to go into which I'm up for.

SpokenTruth said:
DonFerrari said:

http://veja.abril.com.br/mundo/branca-ou-negra-homem-ou-mulher/ I know you don't read portuguese, but this is on Rachel Dolezal and in this report there isn't a mention to a former president of NAACP that had white skin but had one black ancestor and considered himself black and was accepted as such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule doesn't seem to have any mention of it being overruled even if wiki isn't thrustworthy.

And on Brazil again, most people (outside the minority movements) doesn't give a shit on this race identification. But since I'm white skinned and my brother is brown skinned and both 3/4 slave heritage (and on this we basically had met our great grandparents that were son and daugther of slaves) how would you classify each since you want to define I'm not a minority (and I'm, because I consider the individual the biggest and single minority there is)?

You can pretend as much as you want that there isn't a plethora of people asking for privileges (like quotas) pretending to be demands for equality. Because by law in Brazil (and as far as I know in the USA currently) everyone is equal by the law, but we have people in Brazil that push for classification on homicide to include feminicide and gaycide, discrimination law to be straight on white against black or hetero versus homo, etc.

One set of special rights we do have is woman retire earlier, live longer, are 10x less likely to get killed (or most forms of violence) than men but still demand special law to protect them, while gay people also are less likely to get killed (you can pull the statistic if you want) but they also want special law for protection.

What's the most recent date you see in the One Drop Rule wiki page?  Even given that, only a few states ever used it.  And none, nor the federal government, has used it for almost 80 years.

We are equal but we're not equal here.  Our equal protection laws are written in a way that they can exclude people which means new laws must be made simply to protect them.   We did a stupid thing and wrote our laws as incusive lists instead of just saying "all citizens".   Not so long ago, for example, in many states if you discrimated against someone based on their sexual orientation, there were no repurcussions. What gay pride movements simply wanted was equal discrimination protection that is already afforded everyeone else.  They weren't asking for more severe punishments, greater punitive damages or anything like that.  They just wanted the same thing others had....why is that seen as demanding privilege?

Man, I'm not talking about it as a law. I'm talking as in USA it being accept that as long as you have a drop of a blood from some ethinicity you could identify yourself as of that race.

IF a law is written in list format (white, black, yellow, and forget red or any other skin color someone wants to say he is) then it's right to ask for the change of the law to remove the list and have all citizen (in Brazil the constitution is for all people, and even so the minority groups fight for special threatment as a mean to solve perceived inequalities).

And some of the discussions I have seem on BLM and feminism were asking for white man to pay for the issues of the past that they didn't cause to people that didn't suffered.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Guilt is something that should avoided at all costs. Regardless of even what you have done, for it is a useless emotion and doesn't help the situation. It's acceptable to be shameful for a variety of situations but it doesn't help anyone....well I guess maybe if you're standing in front of a jury.

Lube Me Up

Around the Network
Moonlighter said:
hatmoza said:

Peggy is a reaserch scientist and Harvard PhD student... and she's white. For you to dismiss her work as something from buzzfeed actually makes me very interested in seeing you "dismantling" all 50 points one by one.

I look forward to it.

She earned hr PhD through what exacty? Women's studies? Looked up some information on her: She teaches English, American studies, and Women's studies. I earned my B.A. degree and will be going to grad school soon to study more about law. That doesn't mean I will discredit someone who hasn't earned no degree whatsoever on philosophical ideas. In fact, most of the greatest historians we studied in school (such as Frederick Douglass) never went to an actual school and taught themselves how to read and write. A research scientist isn't a "scientist" per se. My mentor in College had a doctorate in English studies. The doctor in the name in this means title, not the name given to a medical practitioner.

In this case, I don't see what she's trying to say. As a child, my mother would hit me right in the mouth if I chewed with my mouth open as I ate. As a result, I don't eat with my mouth open because it reminds me of it. Did she hit me because it was a "black" thing to do? No. On the contrary, she said to me countless of times that it was something poor people did. Poor people can be any color. If one has to associate black as mainly being poor in this equation, then quite frankly, they are looking to make anything about race.

" I can easily buy posters, post-cards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys and children's magazines featuring people of my race."

How is this an advantage? Does the president have to be a lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, black, white, obese, anorexic, muscular, paraplegic, man and woman all at the same time for absolultely everyone to identify with him/her? I'm failing to see why any of that matters when what's important in the post card, picture book, greeting card, doll, toy, etc. isn't the color, but what they stand for.

" I am not made acutely aware that my shape, bearing or body odor will be taken as a reflection on my race."

Every single person (of any race) has different proportions in size compared to everyone else. I don't even know where on earth body odor comes into play with race here. There are people that do present stronger odors than others because of their genetics, but that can be a person of any color.

I might actually make a video about this on YouTube, explaining why the rest of the things said by her are ridiculous. Thanks for bringing up the link, in all honesty. Much more detail to go into which I'm up for.

In brazil black people have the fame of having stronger odor, and so far from my personal experience that would confirm, but I can't say if it's base on race (genetics and not skin color) or any other consideration (like more black people beeing on hand labour)

wtf i dont care about race, we all humans and thats it!

My Retail Games Collection (January 2015)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ99pL3WR2goZTseFboiz8g

Moonlighter said:

Being able to dismiss these absolutely ridiculous claims properly is good, and can be very useful. But I really think that most of these are so dumb that its pointless to even put in the effort. Good on yah if you do it though.
So many of them boil down to paranoia as well, they come from a scary place.
Every single one of them can also be applied in reverse, because as with all this bullshit about "white privilege", its not about being white, its "majority privilege" and even that is dumb. There are no guarantees. Is anyone talking about "yellow privilege" in China? They are superracist lol (most of my friends are chinese). Most of those things can apply directly to me, being white, hanging out with my chinese friends (despite living in Sweden, a mostly white country).

DonFerrari said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Pride movements aren't 'we want special treatment' It's 'we want equal treatment'

Pride movements are rallying for equality and celebrating themselves in the face of discrimination.

Do you honestly think if we all looked at Homosexuality like the greeks did for the last 100 years we would have a gay pride movement?

You wish they aren't... you can watch almost any parade and movement discourse and they will talk about historic debt and special threatment they want to equalize.

The greeks didn't celebrate homosexuality, they were on the marriage with woman and seldomly have sex with man.

The reason why today people have these parades is because the bigger issues doesn't exist anymore as they existed in the greek time.

If you legitimately believe people have pride parades because bigger issues don't exist anymore then there isn't a discussion to be had. You'll never quite understand.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

FragilE^ said:

Being able to dismiss these absolutely ridiculous claims properly is good, and can be very useful. But I really think that most of these are so dumb that its pointless to even put in the effort. Good on yah if you do it though.
So many of them boil down to paranoia as well, they come from a scary place.
Every single one of them can also be applied in reverse, because as with all this bullshit about "white privilege", its not about being white, its "majority privilege" and even that is dumb. There are no guarantees. Is anyone talking about "yellow privilege" in China? They are superracist lol (most of my friends are chinese). Most of those things can apply directly to me, being white, hanging out with my chinese friends (despite living in Sweden, a mostly white country).

Lol. You're right. I'd do it though because if a part of my career does involve talking to audiences about this, I unfortunately can't give just the short "you're argument is ridiculous" answer. Evolutionary biologist, Doctor Richard Dawkins is known to debate a lot of closed minded religious people and while many say he shouldn't waste his time, I think he's trying to test his patience/tolerance in the process. 6+ years back, I wasn't as tolerant nor patient as I am now with hearing different views and despite how weird it may sound, debating with people that I disagree with has helped me pay more attention to detail. At the end of the day, I think it would be worth going further into because the idea of white prvilege and even white guilt is pretty known. Getting people to see and understand why the ideas of it are flawed would help erase the nonsense. Well, nonsensical ideas will always exist, but we need to hear them once in a while to facepalm and get the blood moving.