By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - How well did your nation perform at the olympics?

Dadrik said:

Oh, that's kinda what I thought but it's pretty sad imo, Brazil has a lot of talented athletes, they could use some support and focus :/

But yeah, Football is so big for this country, it pretty much takes all the place. Congrats on the gold too, btw !

Don't worry, it was expected to be honest, sports fan are extremely passionate in Brazil, and as you said they don't really know how Olympian sports work, it's okay, don't worry. In France we're not the best either when it comes to respect in stadiums to be honest. Well, in Football and Rugby, for the most part.

Great for you guys to have good rugby, field hockey,  handball leagues, and also LOTS of ATP-Level tennis competitions.

Those sports are seen just as pasttimes/recreation here. I really wanted people here to look to sports as a profession, as a market that generates jobs and entertainment. But that mentality will not change soon. Well... at least we can watch your - and other - leagues on the internet today.

France did very well in the Olympics, as always. Congratulations to all French athletes.

Around the Network
camilosanchez16 said:
I'm Colombian, and since our government shows zero interest in any sport different than football, our people struggle really hard to get there, in my opinion, we were both better and worst, while we got 3 Golds (our national record), in total we got 8 medals (3G, 2S, 3B), the same as in London (1G, 3S, 4B), knowing the fact that people who won medal in London underperformed here. Aside everything, we expected just two golds which became reality (BMX and Triple Jump), the third one (Weightlifting) was a surprise.

I´d say that Colombia did much better than expected. It´s very hard for any country to confirm all gold medals expected, even when they´re just a few.

Colombian sports have been growing steadly since you guys hosted the South American Games in Medellin 2010. You even surpassed Argentina and Mexico in last year´s Pan Am Games and got some world titles in Track Cycling. Although the situation of investiment in olympic sports seems similar to what happens in my country, I think you guys must be doing something right ; ) 

By the way.... what happened to Jossimar Calvo Moreno ? He did so great last year in Pan Am´s and several World Cups, won medals with very high scores and couldn´t even qualifiy  to any  men´s individual finals in Gymnastics. I really really wanted him and Larduet from Cuba to perform well in Rio.

The US took names. First in every medal category.

Since that atrocious showing in London, I'd say we (Greece) did pretty good this time with 3 Golds, 1 Silver and 2 Bronzes.

Rogerioandrade said:
Dadrik said:

Oh, that's kinda what I thought but it's pretty sad imo, Brazil has a lot of talented athletes, they could use some support and focus :/

But yeah, Football is so big for this country, it pretty much takes all the place. Congrats on the gold too, btw !

Don't worry, it was expected to be honest, sports fan are extremely passionate in Brazil, and as you said they don't really know how Olympian sports work, it's okay, don't worry. In France we're not the best either when it comes to respect in stadiums to be honest. Well, in Football and Rugby, for the most part.

Great for you guys to have good rugby, field hockey,  handball leagues, and also LOTS of ATP-Level tennis competitions.

Those sports are seen just as pasttimes/recreation here. I really wanted people here to look to sports as a profession, as a market that generates jobs and entertainment. But that mentality will not change soon. Well... at least we can watch your - and other - leagues on the internet today.

France did very well in the Olympics, as always. Congratulations to all French athletes.

True, when you want to do something in France, you usually can pretty easily. :/
Thank you, Brazil did well considering all this too. Let's hope these Olympic Games will help promoting sports in general !

Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean you are necessarily right.

Around the Network

Pretty decent, 4 Golds and 20th overall (according to Google)

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Norway and not very well. We are the kings of winter sports.

my country 3 bronze here in egypt we have no sports support hard to make madel with lake of everything no money and structure so sad we are a big country to have only 3 medal but i always support germany i dont know why they from worse to more worse resutls every olympic i hope they do better in the future

USA, pretty good I think.

I had no idea how the USA did until I read this thread. I knew we'd get at least a 100 so I didn't pay attention. The only gold medal winner I know of is Phelps because he was all over the news.

Kind of jealous of countries that only win a few, to be honest, because it seems like they mean a lot more.