By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
AsGryffynn said:

But it was older. I think the lifespan will be roughly the same, but the advanced tech means the PS3 can still cope with some of the advancements in game development nowadays. 

Yeah, nah. That's goal post shifting, let's not do that.

Xbox 360 2005 - 2016. (11 years.)
Playstation 3 2006 - 2016. (10 years). Multiple countries it was stopped in 2015. (9 years.)

Ironically here in Australia I can still buy brand new Xbox 360's, but not Playstation 3's from multiple retailers, despite the 360's production having ceased.

And let's be honest, the PS3 wasn't that *far* ahead of the 360 in terms of visuals, Halo 4 proved that, tons of multiplats were better on the 360 as well.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

Pemalite said:
AsGryffynn said:

But it was older. I think the lifespan will be roughly the same, but the advanced tech means the PS3 can still cope with some of the advancements in game development nowadays. 

Yeah, nah. That's goal post shifting, let's not do that.

Xbox 360 2005 - 2016. (11 years.)
Playstation 3 2006 - 2016. (10 years). Multiple countries it was stopped in 2015. (9 years.)

Ironically here in Australia I can still buy brand new Xbox 360's, but not Playstation 3's from multiple retailers, despite the 360's production having ceased.

And let's be honest, the PS3 wasn't that *far* ahead of the 360 in terms of visuals, Halo 4 proved that, tons of multiplats were better on the 360 as well.

My original intention was pointing the difference between both out, so I haven't changed the goal posts. 

The difference between the time they were on the market and the life expectancy of each console are two different things. 

As for perfomance... Programming issues... 

(Edit: relative lifespan). 

You cannot sell a console for more than $500.  There is not a large enough market for it.  Xbox One struggled out the gate to sell at $399...  PS4 was more powerful and was being sold at the same price.  A cutting-edge game console in manufactured in 2017 at $499 is exponentially more powerful/efficient/ advanced than the $399 consoles launched in 2013.

It'll have to be good enough for people.  Otherwise wait until 2019 or 2020 for full console refreshes that don't need to worry about being backward-compatible with OG version PS4s/ Xbox Ones

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

Snoopy said:
Normchacho said:

A few things.

First off, Your talk about Microsoft having a larger install base than Sony requires some iffy logic to justify and doesn't have anything to do with Scorpio.

Secondly, the Xbox One isn't outpacing the 360. Total sales are ahead, but it's lead has dropped by half a million consoles in the last 12 months and were coming up to a point where 360 sales were very strong.

Between July and the end of 2008 the 360 sold 7,796,789 units while during the same months last year the Xbox One sold 6,268,479 units. Also keep in mind that the Xbox One has been down YoY.

Third. You haven't give a reason as to why someone who didn't want an Xbox One would want the Scorpio.

1. It does have a larger install base technically because of windows gaming which is similar to xbox regarding architecture, api,os,service ect and Microsoft considers it an xbox pretty much.

2. It is still outpacing 360 overall as we speak is it not? Besides, you can't under estimate xbox slim (cheapest 4k blu ray player pretty much and HDR gaming) and of course xbox scropio which will attract hardcore gamers who want the strongest console by a large margin.

3. If you want reasons to buy an xbox scropio it will have the big AAA exclusive console games and new ips. Also the fact is Scorpio will be the most powerful console on the market. Those are two huge reasons to pick up an xbox scorpio. Not to mention Xbox Scorpio will more than likely work with oculus which a lot of people consider the best vr experience by far right now and it will be the cheapest way to experience Oculus. 

The first thing make it useless for developers, they will not have a good picture of the true installbase unless they release their game and see how much it sells.

Is like saying that only because everyone drinks water, you have a 7 Billions of Installbase to sell Water.

This thread was a good read with a lot of good points and views from the community. I really enjoy threads like these because it gives so many different views and thoughts on things. People have good discussions and debates with how they think things are or how they will play out. Very healthy for the site in my opinion.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Around the Network
Normchacho said:
Snoopy said:

1. It does have a larger install base technically because of windows gaming which is similar to xbox regarding architecture, api,os,service ect and Microsoft considers it an xbox pretty much.

2. It is still outpacing 360 overall as we speak is it not? Besides, you can't under estimate xbox slim (cheapest 4k blu ray player pretty much and HDR gaming) and of course xbox scropio which will attract hardcore gamers who want the strongest console by a large margin.

3. If you want reasons to buy an xbox scropio it will have the big AAA exclusive console games and new ips. Also the fact is Scorpio will be the most powerful console on the market. Those are two huge reasons to pick up an xbox scorpio. Not to mention Xbox Scorpio will more than likely work with oculus which a lot of people consider the best vr experience by far right now and it will be the cheapest way to experience Oculus. 

1. But counting any and every Windows 10 device as part of the "Xbox userbase" renders the term "Xbox userbase" practially meaningless.  "Look! The Xbox userbase is a billion people! I mean, most of them don't play games beyond solitare or candy crush, and the vast (like, really vast) majority of those who do actually play games do so through means that have nothing to do with us...But look! A billion people could possibly buy our stuff if they wanted to!"

2. Lets pretend there are two swimming pools that are being filled up. One, currently has 10,000 gallons of water in it. The other, 12,000 gallons. The first pool is being filled at a rate of 1,000 gallons a minute, the other at a rate of 500 gallons a minute. The first pool, despite not having as much water in it, is outpacing the second.

To your point about the Xbox One somehow coming back to outpace the 360 again. I think you vastly overestimate he effect that either the Xbox One S or the Scorpio are going to have on overall sales. It needs to sell an EXTRA 255K units a month over the last 6 months of this year just to keep pace with the 360 compared to what it did last year. That's 24.4% better than it did last year, when the first half of this year it's down 8.9%.

Last year, if you remember, the Xbox One had Halo 5, Forza 6, ROTR, Gears Anniversary, and no major PS4 games to go up against. This year, it's going to have to compete with the slim PS4, PSVR, and possibly even the 4.5.

3. Sure, there will be people who want the most powerful console and don't feel like buying a PC. Though I will remind you that the question was, why would someone not already interested in an Xbox One buy the Scorpio. So you're point about having certain games doesn't really fit that.

Also, VR support is a good point. Though the Vive is pretty widely considered the best VR option right now, and I don't know if the Scorpio will have full PC Rift support considering that it will still likely be a good deal underpowered compared to an Oculus ready PC.

1. Microsoft can easily determine who are the core gamers on windows 10 through analytics. We are not caveman anymore.

2. Well, the second pool in your example can get a machine of some kind that is powerful (like the scorpio) that boosts it's performance to fill it up faster. Also, xbox one s is selling out right now and knowing Microsoft price cuts and big AAA games like Gears and more a lot of people will be picking it up. A lot of people already own a ps4 and might be thinking why get a ps4 slim (same thing as the regular ps4) and get a xbox one s to experience something new for a cheap price? Also, don't bother with VR on a vanilla PS4. It is going to have a hard time with it for a lot of the interactive games.

3. Xbox Scorpio can handle VR like oculus and vive easily. I was looking at some graphic cards people/developers suggested for oculus and vive. The graphic cards they recommend only have around 4 tera flops.Xbox One will have at least 6 tera flops and not to mention since this is a console, developers know what they are working with and can do a lot of optimization for it.

4. Finally, we are talking about Microsoft. They have three billion dollar franchises underneath their belt currently and believe me there will be more over time. Microsoft will buy ips or make new ips that are worth billions and attract new users. While the competition is losing billions.

P.S. Sorry I had to own you like that. However, you were asking for it when you challenge me, the great snoopy :P 

Snoopy said:

1. Microsoft can easily determine who are the core gamers on windows 10 through analytics. We are not caveman anymore.

2. Well, the second pool in your example can get a machine of some kind that is powerful (like the scorpio) that boosts it's performance to fill it up faster. Also, xbox one s is selling out right now and knowing Microsoft price cuts and big AAA games like Gears and more a lot of people will be picking it up. A lot of people already own a ps4 and might be thinking why get a ps4 slim (same thing as the regular ps4) and get a xbox one s to experience something new for a cheap price? Also, don't bother with VR on a vanilla PS4. It is going to have a hard time with it for a lot of the interactive games.

3. Xbox Scorpio can handle VR like oculus and vive easily. I was looking at some graphic cards people/developers suggested for oculus and vive. The graphic cards they recommend only have around 4 tera flops.Xbox One will have at least 6 tera flops and not to mention since this is a console, developers know what they are working with and can do a lot of optimization for it.

4. Finally, we are talking about Microsoft. They have three billion dollar franchises underneath their belt currently and believe me there will be more over time. Microsoft will buy ips or make new ips that are worth billions and attract new users. While the competition is losing billions.

P.S. Sorry I had to own you like that. However, you were asking for it when you challenge me, the great snoopy :P 

1. So, Microsoft can find out how many core gamers they have between Xbox and Windows 10. Great. Can you? After all, you did claim that they had a larger userbase than Sony. So, lets see the numbers. They sell way less software than Sony does, so it'll be interesting to see how much lower the attachment rate is.

2. Well, it's nice to see you've concieded the point that the Xbox One is no longer outpacing the Xbox 360. However, there's still no way the Xbox One S or Scorpio is going to push the One back up past the 360.

As I said, 255k units a month every month from July to the end of the year just to keep up. and honestly even then the Xbox One would still be down vs. the 360 for the year.

Oh, and thanks for the heads up about PSVR. I can just ignore those dozens of previews and gameplay videos, plus my own personal experience now.

3. I will conciede this point, Scorpio should be able to run Oculus.

4. What have those franchises done for MS this gen? Any success they've had has been because of hugely agressive discounts. Plus, don't really have any big new upcoming franchise left do they? What's this new billion dollar franchise going to be? Scalebound?

P.S. Your move.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Normchacho said:
Snoopy said:

1. So, Microsoft can find out how many core gamers they have between Xbox and Windows 10. Great. Can you? After all, you did claim that they had a larger userbase than Sony. So, lets see the numbers. They sell way less software than Sony does, so it'll be interesting to see how much lower the attachment rate is.

2. Well, it's nice to see you've concieded the point that the Xbox One is no longer outpacing the Xbox 360. However, there's still no way the Xbox One S or Scorpio is going to push the One back up past the 360.

As I said, 255k units a month every month from July to the end of the year just to keep up. and honestly even then the Xbox One would still be down vs. the 360 for the year.

Oh, and thanks for the heads up about PSVR. I can just ignore those dozens of previews and gameplay videos, plus my own personal experience now.

3. I will conciede this point, Scorpio should be able to run Oculus.

4. What have those franchises done for MS this gen? Any success they've had has been because of hugely agressive discounts. Plus, don't really have any big new upcoming franchise left do they? What's this new billion dollar franchise going to be? Scalebound?

P.S. Your move.

1. Ask Microsoft for the numbers. Hell the developers will probably know so ask them.

2. Xbox scorpio and xbox one s is still xbox one. Nice try tho.

3. Yeah you better give up.

4. Actually those AAA title helped Microsoft make money and keep investing into Xbox. Which means xbox is here to stay. The next big AAA billion dollar franchise can be anything. I hoping sea of theives to pull an upset. Sea of theives looks awesome.

Sorry that I had to clown you yet again. When you're a clown nobody is going to take you seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvEbxPb-kFk

User was moderated for this post

-Super_Boom

Snoopy said:

1. Ask Microsoft for the numbers. Hell the developers will probably know so ask them.

4. Actually those AAA title helped Microsoft make money and keep investing into Xbox. Which means xbox is here to stay. The next big AAA billion dollar franchise can be anything. I hoping sea of theives to pull an upset. Sea of theives looks awesome.

Sorry that I had to clown you yet again. When you're a clown nobody is going to take you seriously.

1. So, what you're saying is that you made a claim without any information to back it up? You have no information to back up the notion that Microsoft has a larger customer base of gamers than Sony does?

I would like to point out that Sony has sold roughly 260 million games to PS4 owners so far this gen while Microsoft has sold just under 134 million games to Xbox One owners. Now. even if their attachement ratio was only 4.5 games per user they'd have to have sold more than 191 million games total to have a larger userbase than Sony. That's 58 million games sold to PC users with an attachment rate of only 2.8. By comparison, Steam has an attachment rate of 11 games per user.

So, while we may never know what Microsofts total combined gaming userbase is for sure. The information we have available suggests that it's quite a bit smaller than Sonys.

2. I never said they weren't Xbox Ones. But even counting their sales it's highly unlikely that the Xbox One will catch back up to the 360. Now, if you'd like to make predictions about how much the Xbox One is going to sell after the S, and then Scorpio are fully on the market. Or if you would like to make a bit of a wager as to whether the Xbox One increases it's lead over the 360 over the next 12 months, or next year or whatever, I'd be willing to work something out.

4. And...what does this have to do with anything? Nobody suggested that Xbox wasn't doing well enough to justify its existence. The point that was being made in the post you origionally responded to is that neither of the updated Xbox Ones on the horizon dramtically change the Xbox One formula.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Normchacho said:
Snoopy said:

1. So, what you're saying is that you made a claim without any information to back it up? You have no information to back up the notion that Microsoft has a larger customer base of gamers than Sony does?

I would like to point out that Sony has sold roughly 260 million games to PS4 owners so far this gen while Microsoft has sold just under 134 million games to Xbox One owners. Now. even if their attachement ratio was only 4.5 games per user they'd have to have sold more than 191 million games total to have a larger userbase than Sony. That's 58 million games sold to PC users with an attachment rate of only 2.8. By comparison, Steam has an attachment rate of 11 games per user.

So, while we may never know what Microsofts total combined gaming userbase is for sure. The information we have available suggests that it's quite a bit smaller than Sonys.

2. I never said they weren't Xbox Ones. But even counting their sales it's highly unlikely that the Xbox One will catch back up to the 360. Now, if you'd like to make predictions about how much the Xbox One is going to sell after the S, and then Scorpio are fully on the market. Or if you would like to make a bit of a wager as to whether the Xbox One increases it's lead over the 360 over the next 12 months, or next year or whatever, I'd be willing to work something out.

4. And...what does this have to do with anything? Nobody suggested that Xbox wasn't doing well enough to justify its existence. The point that was being made in the post you origionally responded to is that neither of the updated Xbox Ones on the horizon dramtically change the Xbox One formula.

1. It's common sense. It's like saying water is wet or something of that sort.

2. Maybe we shall come up with a wager, send me a pm on the terms.

3. I still won

4. It does tho. Imagine the most powerful console, best vr experience, best AAA exclusives, best controller, best online service. It's a beast man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjmMAo8FpGM