By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
vivster said:
Snoopy said:

A lot of people went out and bought an xbox s. People like new hardware and the one thing people bring up this generation as a negative for Microsoft is resolution (which I think is silly). Microsoft is going to have a huge library games coming out soon enough such as Forza, Gears, Sea of theives and more so that will help as well.

Xbox does not live in a bubble. It doesn't matter if Scorpio is better in every way than X1 when it's still worse than the competition. PS4 has a huge lead, the stronger brand, the more popular exclusives in both quantity and quality. It has itself a stronger successor and added value with PSVR.

There is simply no reason for anyone who previously didn't want an Xbox to suddenly buy the Scorpio. The fact that they release all their games on PC now as well shrinks their demographic. As such there will be less people buying The Scorpio Than X1.

As much as Xbox fans love to think that X1 failed because of bad press and weaker hardware it does not hold up when you look at the continued success of everyone else who supported their platform with a continuous stream of great software and that will pay off in the long haul.

Xbox one was a success in many ways tho. It is outpacing the 360 last time I check despite their botch launch and stronger competition. Microsoft is giving us great exclusive software. Who cares if it is on PC? There are a lot of people out there who still prefer consoles over PC gaming (like me). You don't think the reason why PS4 sold over 40 million was because of Uncharted and Bloodborne do you?  And I can tell you right now Microsoft doesn't care if you buy a PC. They view window PC as xbox as well. They are selling their games and services on both devices and they are making it easy to port PC games to Xbox one and vice versa so in a way Microsoft install base is bigger than Sony's .

Around the Network

I'm with Snoopy. I hate how everyone here and particularly PS4 fans, assume everyone that has a console is also a PC gamer. As far as my friends go, we all have consoles and only one of us (my core is 17 close friends that go way back) has a gaming pc. I feel the majority of console gamers are not dedicated pc gamers. That feel different here cuz its a dedicated gaming site and most likely has pc gamers.

Snoopy said:
vivster said:

Xbox does not live in a bubble. It doesn't matter if Scorpio is better in every way than X1 when it's still worse than the competition. PS4 has a huge lead, the stronger brand, the more popular exclusives in both quantity and quality. It has itself a stronger successor and added value with PSVR.

There is simply no reason for anyone who previously didn't want an Xbox to suddenly buy the Scorpio. The fact that they release all their games on PC now as well shrinks their demographic. As such there will be less people buying The Scorpio Than X1.

As much as Xbox fans love to think that X1 failed because of bad press and weaker hardware it does not hold up when you look at the continued success of everyone else who supported their platform with a continuous stream of great software and that will pay off in the long haul.

Xbox one was a success in many ways tho. It is outpacing the 360 last time I check despite their botch launch and stronger competition. Microsoft is giving us great exclusive software. Who cares if it is on PC? There are a lot of people out there who still prefer consoles over PC gaming (like me). You don't think the reason why PS4 sold over 40 million was because of Uncharted and Bloodborne do you?  And I can tell you right now Microsoft doesn't care if you buy a PC. They view window PC as xbox as well. They are selling their games and services on both devices and they are making it easy to port PC games to Xbox one and vice versa so in a way Microsoft install base is bigger than Sony's .

A few things.

First off, Your talk about Microsoft having a larger install base than Sony requires some iffy logic to justify and doesn't have anything to do with Scorpio.

Secondly, the Xbox One isn't outpacing the 360. Total sales are ahead, but it's lead has dropped by half a million consoles in the last 12 months and were coming up to a point where 360 sales were very strong.

Between July and the end of 2008 the 360 sold 7,796,789 units while during the same months last year the Xbox One sold 6,268,479 units. Also keep in mind that the Xbox One has been down YoY.

Third. You haven't give a reason as to why someone who didn't want an Xbox One would want the Scorpio.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Intrinsic said:
AsGryffynn said:

They will do it because the console will be more powerful and probably span more than one generation (and after a while, its price will drop accordingly). The demographic will be the XONE demographic, the PC demographic that wants an easy to use system and people yet to buy a console. 

They like the PS4 the same they liked the PS3 before. A lot of the modern PS4 fans were Xbox 360 fans who changed sides thanks to power, now that Xbox will once more hold superiority over its rivals, they will happily switch back. After all, save for the power problem, I've noticed most Xbox Outcasts seem... disatisfied with the PS4 (and Sony's online service and business model in general). 

People won't like the PS4 more once an alternative that is better supersedes it. Think of this as a generation that starts early, but who will last three gens afterwards. Think of what would've happened if the Xbox 360 S had been as powerful as the PS4 when it released... 

That's what will happen. People like the better equipment, not a brand. The reason Sony has more followers and the reason the Xbox doesn't is related both to power and the games library, which are ironically linked. 

If you feel like bashing the XONE or Microsoft in general, feel free to. Just don't expect I will allow it to go unnoticed. 

Funny, you talk like the console generation started with the 360. If its rewlly all about power.....

What happened with the PS2/Xbox?

Why didn't do PS3 win right of the bat cause it definitely was the "better" equipment. 

Sorry to break it to you, but PS4 winning now has very little to do with its powah, and those business practices you mention that has the 360 owners you claim switched sides and are now dissatisfied? Well, you are onto something there. Just in reverse. 

But you are right about some of the other stuff you said. 

The PS2 doubled as a DVD that didn't need an add on to read movie and music discs (unlike the Xbox at the time). In between that, the reputation of its predecessor, the lack of variety and versatility in the Gamecube and the Xbox's expensive price tag, it enjoyed an advantage comparable to that of the Wii during it's gen. 

The PS3 was the better equipment only on paper. Most devs actually couldn't code for the damned thing, so most games actually performed worse on the PS3 unless it was an exclusive developed for the console. However, the potential meant that the PS3 had a longer lifespan than the older X360 which lacked the Blu ray player and extra computing power that could be tapped into if devs bothered to try (most didn't). 

It makes no sense for people to support the Xbox 360 and suddenly shift over to the PS4 unless the PS4 had more to offer. In between the DRM fiasco, lack of power, initially more expensive price tag and the smaller game library because of a combination of the aforementioned, a lot of former 360 owners jumped ship. If the Xbox One had been faster, cheaper and had a larger game library than the PS4, people wouldn't have jumped ship. Especially since Sony actually had a bad reputation for the PS3 having been a hassle. Sure, the RROD problem helf Microsoft bad, but it shouldn't have been this bad otherwise. 

Whether a lot of Outcasts used to be PS2 gamers who were apalled at the PS3's price tag and performance is meaningless, since the audience will flock back to the place with the best system. The point is the system cannot rely solely on power. Power, price tag and variety need to be satisfied, as well as a release date. If a better machine is offered at a lower price on the same day, there's no reason to buy the inferior one. 

vivster said:
Snoopy said:

A lot of people went out and bought an xbox s. People like new hardware and the one thing people bring up this generation as a negative for Microsoft is resolution (which I think is silly). Microsoft is going to have a huge library games coming out soon enough such as Forza, Gears, Sea of theives and more so that will help as well.

Ah, there's the old Sony spirit. Except that the PS3 is a reminder that brand loyalty only takes you so far. The people want a better machine, for a lower price with more games. The 360 delivered those when the PS3 couldn't and managed to take the spotlight for once (unless you insist the last gen ended only when the PS3 surpassed the 360 in sales, even though the Wii U had been released a few months before). If there are people with no consoles who are thinking on one or the other, they will either wait for the newer machines or buy one of the existing ones. 

Around the Network

Um suprised the Ban Hammer hasnt descent upon this thread yet.

Dark_Feanor said:

Um suprised the Ban Hammer hasnt descent upon this thread yet.

Why? I haven't read every post but I haven't seen any fights or name calling really.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

niceguygameplayer said:

To be honest, I don't care much about gaming online. I disliked MS for pushing online so hard. However, I can see that it matters to you and others. Point taken. 

But, regarding the original Xbox, I remember reading that MS forced 3rd parties to switch from it to 360 development immediately.  I don't feel that's fair. The original owners could still have gotten more money's worth.

[...] 

From Wikipedia:

original Xbox "Retail availability  NA: November 15, 2001"

Xbox 360 "Retail availability November 22, 2005"

"The last game released on the Xbox was Madden NFL 09, on August 12, 2008."

original Xbox "Discontinued  NA: March 2, 2009"

Support for the original Xbox on Xbox Live "was finally disconnected on May 11, 2010"

Nothing in the above suggests a quick abandonment, and commercial software still being released for it until 2009 suggests against your assertion that third-parties were being forced to abandon it.

niceguygameplayer said:

[...]I do realize that Sony is not without blame. Like sending out the Vita to basically fail, and no UMD transfer program as they said they would implement. Also, the taking away of features for PS3, as you said. I feel that MS has done more wrong though. 

I'm curious, but what "more wrong" has Microsoft done?  So far you've suggested that you disliked them for pushing online gaming (just following in Sega's footsteps there, and PC gaming for that matter), but that's not "wrong", just a direction that doesn't speak to you.  You suggested Microsoft forced 3rd parties to switch to 360 development, but short of a citation I'm sceptical (and note that Microsoft-licenced software was still being released for the OG Xbox in 2009). 

I don't think Microsoft has never made a mistake, as they obviously have.  But so far we're agreed on a longer list for Sony than we are for Microsoft.  *shrug*  Ultimately they're both for-profit entities who're responsible first to their shareholders.  They're not charities.  :)  I kind of admire what Microsoft has been able to accomplish in the console gaming space.  There are probably very few companies in the world that could have entered the home console market at that time and make that big an impact in the face of the strength of Sony and Nintendo (and to a lesser degree Sega, since we're talking circa 2001).

scrapking said:

niceguygameplayer said:

To be honest, I don't care much about gaming online. I disliked MS for pushing online so hard. However, I can see that it matters to you and others. Point taken. 

But, regarding the original Xbox, I remember reading that MS forced 3rd parties to switch from it to 360 development immediately.  I don't feel that's fair. The original owners could still have gotten more money's worth.

[...] 

From Wikipedia:

original Xbox "Retail availability  NA: November 15, 2001"

Xbox 360 "Retail availability November 22, 2005"

"The last game released on the Xbox was Madden NFL 09, on August 12, 2008."

original Xbox "Discontinued  NA: March 2, 2009"

Support for the original Xbox on Xbox Live "was finally disconnected on May 11, 2010"

Nothing in the above suggests a quick abandonment, and commercial software still being released for it until 2009 suggests against your assertion that third-parties were being forced to abandon it.

Abandonment comparable to the PSVita. The company still supports the hardware, but they no longer market or try to sell it.