By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So the Scorpio....

josh261995 said:
"4) Given the cost of the console will probably be close to $1000US, how can it possibly succeed when the PS3 at $599US was simply too much for consumers? That was also considered premium at the time(blu ray drive, 4 USB ports, native PS2 backwards compatibility etc)?"

They will be stupid to release it at 1,000

The question will be how much will a 6TF console parts have dropped in price by end of next year, I personally dont see them selling a console more than $599.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network

Only a few pages in, and I'm confused. I thought Scorpio / Neo were for high end users, not the masses, yet discussion seems to keep veering back to standard console sales talk.

Guitarguy said:

From a recent interview with Aaron Greenberg, he stated that the Xbox Scorpio will be a very high end product and that it is targetting 4k gaming. But here there are several elements here that confuse me:

1) The Xbox Scorpio will supposedly have no non-VR exclusive games which will either force much more work on the developers or severely gimp the Scorpio version of the game. Games that run on Scorpio have to run on OG Xbox One(unless I'm mistaken). This will diminish the graphical fidelity of the Scorpio variant games.

2) Even the best current PC GPU cannot handle all 4k games at 60 frames per second and that card alone is worth more than the PS3 was when it first came out(which has other components inside which further inflates the cost of the console)

3) With MS putting alot of their exclusive titles on PC and implementing Xbox Play Anywhere, there is less incentive for PC gamers to get a Scorpio and consumers will have another option to play Xbox games in 4k via PC.

4) Given the cost of the console will probably be close to $1000US, how can it possibly succeed when the PS3 at $599US was simply too much for consumers? That was also considered premium at the time(blu ray drive, 4 USB ports, native PS2 backwards compatibility etc)?

Does anyone else think this all doesn't add up? Am I wrong in my skepticism?

1) does Battlefield 1 look bad on PC because it can run on 10 years old hardware? No. it's the best looking game ever made.
same applies to scorpio. nothing will be held back
2) microsoft never said ALL games will be 4k/60fps it's up to the developer what they target.  The best current PC GPU can handle all games 4k 60pfs, if you don't run ultra setting. you just can't have everything
3)yes, what don't you get there?
4)where did you get $1000USD from? the scorpio will not be anywhere near that pricepoint. The Xbox Scorpio will proabably be $499. Maybe $549. They wont even go for the $599 pricepoint because of the memes.

Swordmasterman said:
Libara said:

They would be shooting themselves in the foot a bit if they did. I don't think itl be over $499, let's not forget if any company can afford to take losses on hardware to obtain some marketshare... its MS with their reserves.

They failed every time they tried to get some ground this gen, they are selling the Xbox One for free. Now it is very acceptable for them to focus on profit, when a company state "High End" they mean "It will be expensive as hell". What kind of consumer that is in the "High End" level won't have money ?

It will be a bad model if they focus on trying to get installbase, because they will never surpass Sony on that. They need to focus on profit until some opportunity, like the one Xbox 360 had, appears again.

Over 20 million sales isn't nothing, It's lower than the competition but to say it has gained no ground is deluding yourself to the truth. You do realise it outsold the ps4 in July, not by much but wouldnt that equate to "gaining some ground"? Also please tell me where I can get an Xbox One for free...

Libara said:
Swordmasterman said:

They failed every time they tried to get some ground this gen, they are selling the Xbox One for free. Now it is very acceptable for them to focus on profit, when a company state "High End" they mean "It will be expensive as hell". What kind of consumer that is in the "High End" level won't have money ?

It will be a bad model if they focus on trying to get installbase, because they will never surpass Sony on that. They need to focus on profit until some opportunity, like the one Xbox 360 had, appears again.

Over 20 million sales isn't nothing, It's lower than the competition but to say it has gained no ground is deluding yourself to the truth. You do realise it outsold the ps4 in July, not by much but wouldnt that equate to "gaining some ground"? Also please tell me where I can get an Xbox One for free...

It outsold the PS4 in July by 10k in the USA (lost by a lot Worldwide), for example, in Japan it got oldsold by more than 80k in the same month. Another fact is that both PS4 and Xbox One are down YOY,  despite the sales( avaliable for over 250US$ with some games) it was unable to sell much more than the PS4 or to stay flat/up YOY.

Xbox One was down YOY last year and, for the most part, down this year too. It sold over 20 Millions units while on USA, last gen, it had  40+ Millions of units sold.

Xbox One was Microsoft's biggest launch, if I remember well,  it will be hard for them to get more consumers after they burned their image over the past few years. For the sake of the Xbox brand, it is better to focus on profit rather than a userbase that will always be less than the competition. On the console Market, or you have the majority of the install base or you will have some games not avaliable for your system.

Around the Network
Swordmasterman said:
Libara said:

It outsold the PS4 in July by 10k in the USA (lost by a lot Worldwide), for example, in Japan it got oldsold by more than 80k in the same month. Another fact is that both PS4 and Xbox One are down YOY,  despite the sales( avaliable for over 250US$ with some games) it was unable to sell much more than the PS4 or to stay flat/up YOY.

Xbox One was down YOY last year and, for the most part, down this year too. It sold over 20 Millions units while on USA, last gen, it had  40+ Millions of units sold.

Xbox One was Microsoft's biggest launch, if I remember well,  it will be hard for them to get more consumers after they burned their image over the past few years. For the sake of the Xbox brand, it is better to focus on profit rather than a userbase that will always be less than the competition. On the console Market, or you have the majority of the install base or you will have some games not avaliable for your system.

Xbox brand is getting its consumers back after the initial bridge burning phase. They are doing this by adding features people want, like BC and not turning down apps like EA Access for reasons of profit.

They won't catch up to ps4 this gen but at least they are learning from it.

Libara said:
Swordmasterman said:

Xbox brand is getting its consumers back after the initial bridge burning phase. They are doing this by adding features people want, like BC and not turning down apps like EA Access for reasons of profit.

They are consistently down YOY, even with a lot of deals, Last year the console was cheaper but the revenue was Down YOY by a considerable %. What I mean is that they  will not be able to get more costumers regardless of what they do, and that will be better for the Xbox Brand to focus on profit rather than Installbase. They are burning their profit, becoming less reliable for the retailers to order from, with those deals for the Xbox One.

Swordmasterman said:
Libara said:

They are consistently down YOY, even with a lot of deals, Last year the console was cheaper but the revenue was Down YOY by a considerable %. What I mean is that they  will not be able to get more costumers regardless of what they do, and that will be better for the Xbox Brand to focus on profit rather than Installbase. They are burning their profit, becoming less reliable for the retailers to order from, with those deals for the Xbox One.

Except they are still selling and therefore clearly getting more consumers. Those sales aren't all for repeat buyers. And you still haven't told me where MS are selling the X1 for free?

Libara said:
Swordmasterman said:

Except they are still selling and therefore clearly getting more consumers. Those sales aren't all for repeat buyers. And you still haven't told me where MS are selling the X1 for free?

For the older models they are sales for new consumers, but,for the Xbox One S, only after the end of Holidays. We will see after January the effects of the Xbox One S.

Selling for free is a expression that I use.

Libara said:
Swordmasterman said:

I think the point he's making is that by the end of this generation the Xbox One will have sold way less than the Xbox 360 despite MS being way more agressive with deals and pricecuts than they have in the past. So, MS should focus on making the most money possible off of the sales they are getting, rather than blowing all of this money trying to get sales that just haven't come through for them thus far.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.