By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
torok said:
Swordmasterman said:

You think that there will be no generations anymore ? I don't buy that Idea. What is the advantage to say "I have a 102910293031039103 of userbase" while they aren't active as the actual console gamers.

Only gamers brag about userbase. What matters to companies is how many units and the profit they report in their quarterly reports and on the fiscal year.

If the company never released nothing of the genre, or nothing at all, they will see the userbase number and will focus on that plataform. The difference is, the userbase number would be up with people that re-purchased something multiple times and, if they use Windows numbers, with users that don't purchase very often.

Around the Network
Swordmasterman said:

If the company never released nothing of the genre, or nothing at all, they will see the userbase number and will focus on that plataform. The difference is, the userbase number would be up with people that re-purchased something multiple times and, if they use Windows numbers, with users that don't purchase very often.

The number won't matter if the current quartely sales are bad. That's what matters. If a no-gen console keeps selling well month after month, it doesn't really matter that you don't have an install base number to brag about. It's not like they are losing sales. I can see a lot of benefits for users: no more lack of retro-compatibility, you can buy more frequently if you are interested in graphics or simply wait for more time if you're in a budget. I have a PS3 and a PS4. If my PS3 breaks, I'll have to buy another one to play my games. In a no-gen world, that would never happen, so it's a good thing. Basically, like smartphones do.

It's like the iPhone. Some people want the best and latest, so they buy the new one every year. Other will go out and buy an iPhone 5S today because it's cheaper than the 6S. Some will buy the 6S and keep it for 4 years before replacing it because they don't care about tech that much. I think people are comparing it with PC, which isn't a correct comparison. It's more like what Apple does. People don't want to fuss with software or buy better hardware parts. The iPhone showed us that people will pay more to avoid headaches. They want a box that does stuff for them. When the "box" is outdated, they buy a better one. If it breaks, they buy another one.

Also, mind that even with console gens, the userbase does not show active users. We know Sony sold around 80m PS3, MS 80M XB and Nintendo sold around 100M Wiis. We don't have idea of how many of these units are still active.

torok said:
Swordmasterman said:

The number won't matter if the current quartely sales are bad. That's what matters. If a no-gen console keeps selling well month after month, it doesn't really matter that you don't have an install base number to brag about. It's not like they are losing sales. I can see a lot of benefits for users: no more lack of retro-compatibility, you can buy more frequently if you are interested in graphics or simply wait for more time if you're in a budget. I have a PS3 and a PS4. If my PS3 breaks, I'll have to buy another one to play my games. In a no-gen world, that would never happen, so it's a good thing. Basically, like smartphones do.

It's like the iPhone. Some people want the best and latest, so they buy the new one every year. Other will go out and buy an iPhone 5S today because it's cheaper than the 6S. Some will buy the 6S and keep it for 4 years before replacing it because they don't care about tech that much. I think people are comparing it with PC, which isn't a correct comparison. It's more like what Apple does. People don't want to fuss with software or buy better hardware parts. The iPhone showed us that people will pay more to avoid headaches. They want a box that does stuff for them. When the "box" is outdated, they buy a better one. If it breaks, they buy another one.

Also, mind that even with console gens, the userbase does not show active users. We know Sony sold around 80m PS3, MS 80M XB and Nintendo sold around 100M Wiis. We don't have idea of how many of these units are still active.

This isn't the same think, If I have a old phone I will only be able to play the Snake's Game. There will always have generations because there won't be unlimited fowards compatibility. There is always room for improvement, not just Pixels, but more things that won't be able on the early products, which break this thing of "No generations". Unlimited backwards compatibility is still possible from now on.

drkohler said:

So many questions, so few answers (from MS).

1. Games that are made for the Scorpio. There are two things to remember. Firstly, those games are much,much easier to program than games for the X1. Secondly, those games will NOT run (or run piss-poor) on an X1, contrary to what MS wants you to believe. The reason is very simple. Games for the X1 are designed around the on-die 32MB esram to achieve any meaningful results. The Scorpio will not have esram (it would be stupid to add 110GB/S expensive esram when you have over 320GB/s ram bandwidth. So Scorpio games run right out of the gddr ram, and if you simply run those games on a X1, you don't have any (or only the most rudimentary) esram benefits.

2. What you get out of a 6TF Scorpio you can roughly see by comparing it to a PC equipped with a GPU of the same power (also note these PCs typically run with higher power discrete Intel processors so the comparison is somewhat flawed right out of the gate). You'll note that the Scorpio likely ends in the 30fps ballpark (with reduced graphics settings).

3. I think it will be easy to transfer PC code to Scorpio code, as the hardware differences will be practically zero for the reasons stated above. The target people basically stay the same, people who do not want to hassle around PC architecture. Maybe even "low budget PC buyers" will start looking into a Scorpio (being identical to a good entry-level PC).

4. The cost basically depends on the type of cpu in the SoC. Neglecting for the moment that AMD cannot deliver a 6TF gpu at this time (an overclocked RX480 might do but these PC graphic cards draw 200W...). Everybody talks about Zen, of course. The problem is that Zen is the thing that is intended save AMD from bankrupcy (the only thing that kept AMD afloat in the past years are the console contracts). So this new cpu technology will not be offered for cheap, at least initially, because it absolutely has to "make hay" for AMD. Certainly a "Zen light" (no L3 cache, 6 cores only but higher clock than an 8 core unit) is imaginable, and so is a cpu construct with improved Jaguar design. I have no problem seeing a Scorpio at a $499 price point.

Wow, will the Scorpion really use the Zen?

But Neo is only using the same CPU as the PS4, only a bit higher overclock.

But on the other hand, CPU is not so important.

Btw, I thought the RX480 was 6TF, and he draws "only" 150W. Maybe they can get 6TFLOP out of an underclocked AMD Vega, using only 110W.

How much power do you think the GPU can draw at maximum to be able to be used in a console, in the Scorpion? What's reasonable before they think the console becomes too hot and loud? 100W? 120W?

Fei-Hung said:
I was thinking this will be priced at $399-450 or $450-499, but looking at what's been said about the cost of the card alone not including everything else needed that goes into a console, i can see this being between $699-750.

The cost of the chip alone might be $300. Add a TB hard drive, Bluetooth, wireless, Ram, audio chip, fan, casing, power unit, controller, logistics and retailer profit margin, this won't be cheap.

But this is not the case. Your initial instinct was right. It will be $450-499 and be targeted at pretty much the same market as the Xbox One is.

It's simple I think. If today an AMD RX 480 GPU at 5.5TFLOPS, costs only $200 for the regular consumer, for sure Microsoft will be able to purchase a 6TFLOP (or even 8TFLOP) GPU from AMD for less money in one year from now. And we all know the GPU is the most expensive part of a console, so if the GPU costs $150 for Microsoft, the total cost of the Scorprion can be kept under $500.

The Xbox One was $400 when they removed the Kinect. The extra $100 for Scorpion can easily cover the more expensive GPU and possibly CPU, especially when we also take into account that hardware tech has had four years to improve during the time between the launch of Xbox One (November 2013) to the Scorpion (October or November 2017).

Around the Network
dongo8 said:
I just saw an article today that stated that some XBOne games would need to be emulated for the system. The Scorpio - unless it's a "By Order Only" system, could be a massive failure because of how much of a wrench it is throwing in things simply for VR.

Emulated? Probably not. Abstracted? Certainly.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Slimebeast said:

[...] How much power do you think the GPU can draw at maximum to be able to be used in a console, in the Scorpion? [...]

"Scorpion?"  Do you mean "Scorpio"?

Ultimately we don't know what the Scorpio will use.  Have there even been any credible leaks yet?

Shadow1980 said:
Normchacho said:

A few things.

First off, Your talk about Microsoft having a larger install base than Sony requires some iffy logic to justify and doesn't have anything to do with Scorpio.

Secondly, the Xbox One isn't outpacing the 360. Total sales are ahead, but it's lead has dropped by half a million consoles in the last 12 months and were coming up to a point where 360 sales were very strong.

Between July and the end of 2008 the 360 sold 7,796,789 units while during the same months last year the Xbox One sold 6,268,479 units. Also keep in mind that the Xbox One has been down YoY.

Third. You haven't give a reason as to why someone who didn't want an Xbox One would want the Scorpio.

I just wanted to interject myself here because sales numbers got brought up, and as with most things sales-related I have a chart for this. Now, the XBO-360 gap might be narrowing globally (at least 400k going by VGC's numbers), but global numbers don't tell us much on their own because of significant regional differences in buying habits. The XBO has not been doing well in continental Europe and especially Japan. Europe and Japan are the sources of that narrowing gap over the past year. However, it has been doing fairly well in the U.S. and UK (and probably also other English-speaking markets).

In the U.S., the gap had generally been growing from November 2014 until this past December.

It narrowed a bit last August and September because the 360 got its first price cut as well as Halo 3, but overall the XBO sold more in 2015 than the 360 did in 2007. Now, it is worth pointing out that the entire reason that the XBO sold more in both 2014 and 2015 than the 360 did in 2006 & 2007, respectively, was due to sales during the holidays. The XBO has had very strong holiday sales in the U.S., and as the chart shows it's the only thing keeping the XBO in the lead.

Going into 2016, the gap has narrowed a bit. In the Jan.-July period the gap shrank from 1900k to 1733k. However, the 360 was still experiencing modest YoY sales growth in 2008 (9% overall for the Jan.-July period) due to the residual effects of the system's first price cut the previous August. Meanwhile, the XBO did not received a permanent price cut between November 2014, when it was reduced to $350, and late May of this year, when it was cut to $300 (and it was cut yet again in June). However, it's obvious that the recent price cuts for the XBO were just to clearance out existing SKUs to make way for the XBO S. And the S model is almost guaranteed to generation strong YoY growth, more than enough for the gap to spread yet again in the XBO's favor, perhaps by as many as one million units more than the current gap.

That being said, I do think the gap will eventually shrink in the 360's favor, and I do not think the XBO will come close to the 360's lifetime total. The XBO should maintain a strong lead throughout next year, but after June 2018 the gap will narrowly shrink, as the XBO will be at the same point in its life as the 360 was when the 360 S came out. The 360 S sent 360 sales through the roof, with substantial YoY growth for the next year and continued strong sales through to Q1 2012. By summer of 2018, the XBO will likely be past its own peak. I think that some time in 2019, the gap will have closed entirely and the 360 will take the lead in aligned LTD sales.

While the Xbox One is doing quite well in the US, it does depend on the US more heavily than the 360 did. On top of that, I suspect that the Xbox One S is going to fail to generate the kind of sales spike previous slim models have caused. The issues I see it running into are that the Xbox One has been so cheap leading up to the launch of the One S that it going back to normal pricing is actually an increase in price instead of the decrease slim models normally see. Plus the One S is going to have to compete this holiday season with at least the PS4 Slim, which itself is likely to see a price cut to either $299 or $249.

Basically what I'm saying is that whereas most slim models are cheaper than the origional model and don't have to launch against any major hardware. The Xbox One S has to launch at a higher price, and against the slim model from a more popular system.

That's even assuming the Neo doesn't launch this year. If it does this is the situation we could be looking at:

PS4 slim 500gb @ $249

Xbox One S 500gb & PS4 slim 1TB @ $299

Xbox One S 1TB @ $349

PS4.5 1 TB @ Xbox One S 2TB @ $399

That's puts the One S in a potentially very tricky situation for the end of the year. A situation, that I think will keep it from expanding it's lead over the Xbox 360 in WW, launch aligned sales.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Slimebeast said:
drkohler said:

But Neo is only using the same CPU as the PS4, only a bit higher overclock.

But on the other hand, CPU is not so important.

Btw, I thought the RX480 was 6TF, and he draws "only" 150W. Maybe they can get 6TFLOP out of an underclocked AMD Vega, using only 110W.

How much power do you think the GPU can draw at maximum to be able to be used in a console, in the Scorpion? What's reasonable before they think the console becomes too hot and loud? 100W? 120W?

Depends on how big you want to make the PSU & Cooling unit. Theoretically you could make it however big you wanted.

PS4 's CPU+GPU used like 130watts today on the launch models, but revisions got it down to like 90watts.

The bigger the cooling unit & PSU, the higher the costs of those, the bigger size wise they are, the more space will be needed, which increases the case costs.

The reason chips usually arnt bigger (is the exponential price increase in chip price vs size) is also it effects everything else in the system.

Scorpio isnt going to be a cheap console.

Also the RX480 is only 5.5teraflops, MS would probably need a bigger GPU part to reach their goal of 6+ teraflops.

scrapking said:

Slimebeast said:

[...] How much power do you think the GPU can draw at maximum to be able to be used in a console, in the Scorpion? [...]

Ultimately we don't know what the Scorpio will use.  Have there even been any credible leaks yet?

There is no leak of what actually is inside the Scorpio. There is this mockup of a board floating around that has 12GB gddr5 and a SoC but this probably is complete fiction.

I'm pretty sure that MS has absolutely nothing to show at this time. All this "6TF min powaaah" yelling from every rooftop  is just pr to curb stomp Sony's Neo. Granted they can send "DevUnits" with these specs to people, but these are just PCs that mock the target specs. In the AMD timeline of events, giving out the Zen structure to third parties does not happen until way into 2017. If that timeline is true I do not see a late 2017 Scorpio having a Zen cpu. But as usual, money talks so who knows?

Basically a SoC in a console cannot be cooled (economically) once it passes maybe 140W(?), An 8core Zen supposedly draws aruond 90W, a 6TF AMD gpu around 120W so that just douesn't compute at this time.