By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Zelda BotW's and Windwaker are quite similar

If you're on a Breath of the Wild blackout you are in the wrong thread.

Besides the Korok (?) I've noticed a lot of similarities between Breath of Wild and Wind Waker than other 3D Zelda:

1. The most obvious - both games are more cel shaded. 

2. You can pick up and use enemy weapons: 
Windwaker didn't let you keep them though so its nice that BotW does. 

3. The "helper companion" (Navi/Fi) is mostly non-existant: 
In both games, you can only interact with them in specific part of the game. In BotW you don't even get a button to talk to them. 

4. Quick Time Action:
In both games, if you dodge an enemy's attack (BotW) or wait for the enemy to attack/opening (WW) you get to press a button to perform a flurry/parry move. The way each are performed feel quite similar too compared to TP's hidden skill.

5. Both games have open world gameplay: 
WW had a huge sand box game world that acted like an open world. It wasn't truly open world though because most of the map was just water you sailed through but there were island and towers along the way. BotW is obviously open world though

6. Vertical gameplay movement: 
WW was one of the few 3D Zelda game with an overworld and dungeon that allowed you to climb great heights with items like the grapple hook and deku leaf. The grapple hook allowed you to swing between high cliffs and the deku lead forced you to find high altitude to glide between high cliffs. You can also climb up your grapple hook rope or other ropes in the game and then use the deku leaf to glide between areas. 

7. Exploration is key: 
In BotW there are hundred of shrines throughout the world and you can gain new abilities, weapons, and beneficial collectibles from them. In the Windwaker, you had to find several island across the ocean to find an important quest item hidden inside many mini dungeons as well. 

8. Few dungeons: 
If the rumors are true, there are only four main dungeons in BotW before you fight Ganondorf. The Windwaker also has few dungeons as well second only to Majora Mask in 3D Zelda.

What do you guys think? Are you excited that BotW and WW share these similarities? As a fan of the WW, I've quite happy to see another Zelda expand on its gameplay and design!

Around the Network

I dislike Wind Waker, so the less like it BotW is, the happier I'll be.

I'm not sure who's thread it was, but I remember a user calling Zelda U (at the time) "Windwaker on land".

Wind Waker is by far my favorite Zelda game, so great news:)

Yes they have lotsa similarities, but that BotW is looking great in any way, so it doesn't really matter if sombodey like or dont like WW.

Around the Network

There are some similarities between the two, but as a whole BotW doesn't really remind me of Wind Waker.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

curl-6 said:

Why do you dislike Wind Waker?

That's nice since Wind Waker is one of the best things Nintendo has done, but honestly I don't think they are all that similar, BoTW don't make think about WW.

Hynad said:
curl-6 said:

Every Nintendo gen has a superb masterpiece that Curl dislikes with no rational reason conceiveble, just as the 4º gen was Super Metroid, the 6th gen is Wind Waker. What can we do? We like him anyways.

Goodnightmoon said:
Hynad said:

Every Nintendo gen has a superb masterpiece that Curl dislikes with no rational reason conceiveble, just as the 4º gen was Super Metroid, the 6th gen is Wind Waker. What can we do? We like him anyways.

I used to hate it in the gc era. Than, years later as an adult, I played it on Wii U and was blown away by how much I enjoyed it. And exploration in it is an absolute blast!