By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft: We Think The Future Is Without Console Generations

Swordmasterman said:
potato_hamster said:
Anyone who thinks consoles are going to move away from generations "like PCs", I have two words for you:

"minimum requirements"

The Console market never had any kind of fowards compatibility, only backwards, saying that you support the Xbox One forever isn't a good statement. We aren't on a level where tech can't evolve. Titanfall 2's beta run in a resolution worse than 720P on the Xbox One, this is 1 year before the launch of the Scorpio. How will they be able to support the Xbox One and the Scorpio with the same games and at the same time ? A upgrade will always be needed, and not only for Resolution, but for everything else.

How do they do it on the PC, its called cut features.  In other words just like the PC you have options to reduce textures, shadows, lighting you name it.  Why would it be any different for consoles.  To support weaker systems you just have to detect that system and adjust the graphical output just like its done on the PC.  The difference is that you will not have as many endless iterations of hardware you have on the PC.  At a certain point people will naturally upgrade once they feel their system is outdated enough to advance.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
walsufnir said:
Holy moly, a lot only read the title and post accordingly.
Yes, there will be no generations anymore, in my opinion. You buy a hardware iteration of an existing ecosystem which is backwards compatible with all its predecessors, meaning you can play games that were released on earlier console iterations. Consoles are more or less PCs now and I think nobody argues that you have "generations" on PC.

I was about to say the exact same thing.  How many people in this thread only read the title an actually never read the article is very interesting.

We are on page 12 13 and people still didn't bother to read. Not that I'd be surprised by those who didn't read, of course.

walsufnir said:
pleaserecycle said:
Consoles will exist until they stop making money.

And nobody says otherwise.

I'm unsure if you're being sarcastic, but there's a "should Nintendo go third-party?" thread here every day.  And despite the content of the article, half of the people in this thread are saying that Microsoft is moving away from consoles.

pleaserecycle said:
walsufnir said:

And nobody says otherwise.

I'm unsure if you're being sarcastic, but there's a "should Nintendo go third-party?" thread here every day.  And despite the content of the article, half of the people in this thread are saying that Microsoft is moving away from consoles.

Of course they do because they don't read what is said, right in the OP :)

Also, I don't follow the Nintendo threads on this site anymore because AFAIR most of them were "what was the best game released on $nintendoconsole" or they talk about games I will never have any interest to play (which doesn't mean I don't follow the hardware news around NX and there won't ever be a game I'd like to play from BigN).

MS are making the right moves. The Xbox is a strong brand and they've done a good job since the fuck up of the XB1 launch.

Tech is moving too fast to have 7/8 year generations so "mid gen" updates will become a thing. Sony are going the exact same route, updated consoles every few years except Sony might keep still stick a number on the end of every few hardware updates (PS4, Neo, Neo+, PS5, Neo 2, Neo 2+, PS6 etc).

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
Swordmasterman said:

The Console market never had any kind of fowards compatibility, only backwards, saying that you support the Xbox One forever isn't a good statement. We aren't on a level where tech can't evolve. Titanfall 2's beta run in a resolution worse than 720P on the Xbox One, this is 1 year before the launch of the Scorpio. How will they be able to support the Xbox One and the Scorpio with the same games and at the same time ? A upgrade will always be needed, and not only for Resolution, but for everything else.

How do they do it on the PC, its called cut features.  In other words just like the PC you have options to reduce textures, shadows, lighting you name it.  Why would it be any different for consoles.  To support weaker systems you just have to detect that system and adjust the graphical output just like its done on the PC.  The difference is that you will not have as many endless iterations of hardware you have on the PC.  At a certain point people will naturally upgrade once they feel their system is outdated enough to advance.

There is still a limitation that goes beyond just Shadow and other things. With a weaker console you will have less room for AI, Objects, and will have longer Loading screens and other things. Microsoft said that they will no longer make Generations, the only way to do that is to make every single game also avaliable for the Xbox One, otherwise it is just a New Generation sooner than the normal and with BC. The Fowards Compatibility is the thing that they need to take care in order to get rid of Generations

Look at the TitanFall2's Beta, it was runing at sub 720p on the Xbox One,  15-16 months before the release of the Scorpio. How will they be able to support the Xbox One  after the release of the Scorpio ? Companies won't want to make their games look like shit because it need to support the Xbox One. Sony and Nintendo will continue to release new Generations while Microsoft will be left behind if they try to support the Xbox One as much as they said. And, if they don't, so this thing of "Beyond Generations" is just PR to don't drop the sales of Xbox One before Scorpio.

Swordmasterman said:
Machiavellian said:

[...]Look at the TitanFall2's Beta, it was runing at sub 720p on the Xbox One[...]

And it's running at 900p on the 1080p console but do you have any links for the sub-720p for the beta? I couldn't find anything on the internet.

SWORDF1SH said:
MS are making the right moves. The Xbox is a strong brand and they've done a good job since the fuck up of the XB1 launch.

Tech is moving too fast to have 7/8 year generations so "mid gen" updates will become a thing. Sony are going the exact same route, updated consoles every few years except Sony might keep still stick a number on the end of every few hardware updates (PS4, Neo, Neo+, PS5, Neo 2, Neo 2+, PS6 etc).

There is a difference between Tech evolving fast and being affordable. We already had Generations that lasted over 5 years, this was the natural cycle of Generations. People compare all the Generations with the PS3, Wii and Xbox 360's Generation.

Since the first Generation (1972) we had a average of 5.5 Years per Generation. I Don't know why some people hate Generations this much. Scorpio will launch 4 years after the Xbox One, Microsoft already had a Generation 4 years long and so had Nintendo.  It isn't hard to acept, tech will not evolve at a ever growing rate forever, the only difference is that Microsoft and Sony released 2 consoles weaker than the normal and we now have Internet.

walsufnir said:
Swordmasterman said:

[...]Look at the TitanFall2's Beta, it was runing at sub 720p on the Xbox One[...]

And it's running at 900p on the 1080p console but do you have any links for the sub-720p for the beta? I couldn't find anything on the internet.

I saw it on Crapgamer's channel, since he is a Xbox Fan I don't think that he was lying.  There are only analysis for the PS4's version.

You should not take a whole comment and cut it, just mark the part you want to quote, otherwise, people will get consufe and will need to go back some pages.

The PS4's version have nothing to do with this. I'm saying that the Xbox One hardly run some high demanding games at 720p 1 year and something before the release of Scorpio. It will be very hard for Microsoft and for the developers to support the Xbox One's version for some time, or if not any,  after Scorpio's release, not while they are trying  to get 4K Gaming. If a console is more powerful, came years after another and play games that the last console can't, so it is a new Generation. Microsoft can call it whatever they want to, but it will always be a Generation. This thing of "Beyond Generations" is something that is bonded to a limitation not too long after Scorpio's release.

Some developers praise the tech power and use it a lot, like Square Enix with Final Fantasy and other games. Some games will be impossible to run on the Xbox One and on the PS4 in the future, at this time, they will already have a PS5-PS6 and Microsoft will need to follow it or their sales will drop.

"

Just move to PC guys, sounds like consoles in the future will basically just be PCs with a markup and more expensive games.Why bother?

PC = the future.
Consoles = A dying industry.