By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Who will provide the NX GPU?

Who is making the NX GPU

nVida 187 41.19%

AMD 210 46.26%

Silicon Graphics Inc 16 3.52%

Sony (the power of the Cell!!!) 41 9.03%

Total:454
Miyamotoo said:
Soundwave said:

In January 2014 (this is after his Jan 2013 comments obviously) Iwata said this:

“Still, I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors mightincrease. Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform.

Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment.

Sounds like between 2013 and 2014 they did a lot of experimentation, and by 2014 they were considering a hybrid device, because by Jan 2014 suddenly he doesn't know anymore if they need one device or multiple. 

Of Course, Nintendo just talked about plans and possibilities, nothing was set in stone, espacily talk from January 2013, from then definitely they were lotsa changed plans.

Yeah my guess NX started off as a discreet console + portable, but several other designs were also considered, including basically a "reverse Wii U" which would be a gaming tablet. I think over time, especially as new mobile tech became available, Nintendo's engineers and designers fell in love with that design. 

It's typical Nintendo, a vanilla console versus something new and different likely never had a chance. Hybrid is new and different and plays to their strengths as a portable game giant. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Again not even sure why people think AMD is good. [...]

I think the hope was that Nintendo would make an AMD x86 dedicated home console that was around PS4 power (maybe even a little better) that would use the new Polaris chip.  Supposedly these AMD chips are able to do an advanced form of what is essentially remote play.  So the idea is that Nintendo could go for power parity (home console) and have that just streamed to the handheld (shell controller) that could be taken and used anywhere thanks to the SCDs.

But it is far more likely that Nintendo would put the works in the mobile unit itself, ala the EG rumors, with the importance of the home unit coming in second.

archbrix said:
Soundwave said:

Again not even sure why people think AMD is good. [...]

I think the hope was that Nintendo would make an AMD x86 dedicated home console that was around PS4 power (maybe even a little better) that would use the new Polaris chip.  Supposedly these AMD chips are able to do an advanced form of what is essentially remote play.  So the idea is that Nintendo could go for power parity (home console) and have that just streamed to the handheld (shell controller) that could be taken and used anywhere thanks to the SCDs.

But it is far more likely that Nintendo would put the works in the mobile unit itself, ala the EG rumors, with the importance of the home unit coming in second.

Too late for a "little better than PS4 console". Nintendo is actually probably lucky they went the hybrid route, if they had pinned everything on a "little better than PS4" design, they'd be pretty fucked right now upon hearing about PS4 Neo and Scorpio. At least NX as has been leaked is something different. 

Soundwave said:
archbrix said:

Too late for a "little better than PS4 console". Nintendo is actually probably lucky they went the hybrid route, if they had pinned everything on a "little better than PS4" design, they'd be pretty fucked right now upon hearing about PS4 Neo and Scorpio. At least NX as has been leaked is something different. 

I don't think the Scorpio and Neo power levels are that important because software still has to run on the vanilla versions of their respective counterparts.  That is, as long as that vision stays true; we'll see how long Sony and Microsoft stick to those plans if their new systems take off, but that would tick off a lot of people if Scorpio/Neo start receiving exclusive games too soon.

archbrix said:
Soundwave said:

I don't think the Scorpio and Neo power levels are that important because software still has to run on the vanilla versions of their respective counterparts.  That is, as long as that vision stays true; we'll see how long Sony and Microsoft stick to those plans if their new systems take off, but that would tick off a lot of people if Scorpio/Neo start receiving exclusive games too soon.

It is relevant because in every one of those "third party comparisons" of big multiplats the PS4 Neo and Scorpio versions are likely going to be rated as higher every time. When Digital Foundry or whatever does their break down for the next COD or whatever they're going to say it runs/looks/plays better on the Scorpio/Neo. 

People refused to buy Wii U multiplats because they weren't pixel perfect/better than PS3/360, I don't think they'd be so lenient now either. 

Sony/MS are overflooding the console market with hardware, Nintendo whether knowingly or not is likely far better off going the route they are. 

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
JEMC said:

The Tegra X1 is a good compromise as it allows devs to start working on a machine with ARM processors and GPU architectures like those found in current PCs.

Didn't realise I had an ARM CPU in my PC. ;)

I was talking about the GPU architecture found in the Tegra X1, and you know it

Miyamotoo said:
JEMC said:

You are mixing the stories. Form the Digital Foundry side of the article:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nintendo-nx-mobile-games-machine-powered-by-nvidia-tegra

"There's an additional wrinkle to the story too, albeit one we should treat with caution as it is single-source in nature with a lot of additional speculation on our part. This relates to the idea that the Tegra X1 in the NX development hardware is apparently actively cooled, with audible fan noise. With that in mind, we can't help but wonder whether X1 is the final hardware we'll see in the NX. Could it actually be a placeholder for Tegra X2? It's a new mobile processor Nvidia has in its arsenal and what's surprising about it is how little we actually know about it."

Only one of the dev kits has a fan, one, which is also the one used to speculate about NX using something more powerful than a Tegra X1 (and that confirms that those are not final dev kits).

How does one, from the undisclosed number of sources, dev unit becomes the standard? Oh, I know, internet speculation.

I dont mixing stores, beacue that I wrote this "Its speculated that is overclocked because NX X1 dev kit is actively cooled with with audible fan noise".

If one dev kit is like that, that means all dev kits at that time were same.

Are you f*cking serious?!

Only one dev kit had a fan, the others didn't. If you need a fan to cool whatever was inside that unit, you would need the same fan to cool the rest, and they didn't have it. Therefore, assuming that all the other dev kits featured an overclocked X1 (which is still your assumption) is completely wrong.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Pemalite said:

Didn't realise I had an ARM CPU in my PC. ;)

I was talking about the GPU architecture found in the Tegra X1, and you know it

Miyamotoo said:

I dont mixing stores, beacue that I wrote this "Its speculated that is overclocked because NX X1 dev kit is actively cooled with with audible fan noise".

If one dev kit is like that, that means all dev kits at that time were same.

Only one dev kit had a fan, the others didn't. If you need a fan to cool whatever was inside that unit, you would need the same fan to cool the rest, and they didn't have it. Therefore, assuming that all the other dev kits featured an overclocked X1 (which is still your assumption) is completely wrong.

Pls give me quote about infos about multiply NX dev kits where some have fan and some dont have, I somehow missed that.

Speaking of which, LCGeek (apparently has some sources) on NeoGaf is saying new NX dev kits are coming this month. I'd guess that would be the new ones with the Pascal-based chip.

Miyamotoo said:
JEMC said:

Pls give me quote about infos about multiply NX dev kits where some have fan and some dont have, I somehow missed that.

Are you really asking me that, after the Digital Foundry link I posted and the excerpt? Ok, I'll do it again:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nintendo-nx-mobile-games-machine-powered-by-nvidia-tegra

"There's an additional wrinkle to the story too, albeit one we should treat with caution as it is single-source in nature (they treat it with caution because it comes from one source, therefore, that means that they are more confident with the other info because it comes from more than one source. And more than one source is several, numerous or multiple sources) with a lot of additional speculation on our part. This relates to the idea that the Tegra X1 in the NX development hardware is apparently actively cooled, with audible fan noise. With that in mind, we can't help but wonder whether X1 is the final hardware we'll see in the NX. Could it actually be a placeholder for Tegra X2? It's a new mobile processor Nvidia has in its arsenal and what's surprising about it is how little we actually know about it."

Given that the Eurogame/Digital Foundry articles are what started all this Tegra X1 discussion, I think you won't go against the source of all of this.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Mbolibombo said:
Jumpin said:
It's already confirmed to be nVidia Tegra series. I thought everyone already knew this?

See I am also believing it's nVidia based on these rumors. But that article is not confirmation by any means. Confirmation is when Nintendo actually says that is the case. 

The only problem I have with this rumor is that eurogamer has beat the Tegra for Nintendo's next system one too many times for me to find them a creditable source.

Also you should take SGI (Silicon Graphics) off the list, they are not a GPU maker anymore. They where bought by HP and now do data and analysis.