By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Who will provide the NX GPU?

Who is making the NX GPU

nVida 187 41.19%

AMD 210 46.26%

Silicon Graphics Inc 16 3.52%

Sony (the power of the Cell!!!) 41 9.03%

Total:454

NVidia is a greedy bitch, so Ninty will run away at the last moment and go with VIA o PowerVR.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

It is relevant because in every one of those "third party comparisons" of big multiplats the PS4 Neo and Scorpio versions are likely going to be rated as higher every time. When Digital Foundry or whatever does their break down for the next COD or whatever they're going to say it runs/looks/plays better on the Scorpio/Neo. 

People refused to buy Wii U multiplats because they weren't pixel perfect/better than PS3/360, I don't think they'd be so lenient now either. 

Sony/MS are overflooding the console market with hardware, Nintendo whether knowingly or not is likely far better off going the route they are. 

I definitely agree with you that Nintendo is making the right move.  

And on topic, yes Nvidia and a newer chip than the X1.

BlkPaladin said:
Mbolibombo said:

See I am also believing it's nVidia based on these rumors. But that article is not confirmation by any means. Confirmation is when Nintendo actually says that is the case. 

The only problem I have with this rumor is that eurogamer has beat the Tegra for Nintendo's next system one too many times for me to find them a creditable source.

Also you should take SGI (Silicon Graphics) off the list, they are not a GPU maker anymore. They where bought by HP and now do data and analysis.

Tegra was in the 3DS dev kits. Nintendo just backed out of the deal at the last minute. 

Besides, Semi-Accurate, IGN, MCV, and Wall Street Journal have also reconfirmed with their own sources. This is more like the Scoprio/PS4 Neo leaks with multiple industry sources confirming. 

IBM

bitches...

Hunting Season is done...

JEMC said:
Miyamotoo said:

Pls give me quote about infos about multiply NX dev kits where some have fan and some dont have, I somehow missed that.

Are you really asking me that, after the Digital Foundry link I posted and the excerpt? Ok, I'll do it again:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nintendo-nx-mobile-games-machine-powered-by-nvidia-tegra

"There's an additional wrinkle to the story too, albeit one we should treat with caution as it is single-source in nature (they treat it with caution because it comes from one source, therefore, that means that they are more confident with the other info because it comes from more than one source. And more than one source is several, numerous or multiple sources) with a lot of additional speculation on our part. This relates to the idea that the Tegra X1 in the NX development hardware is apparently actively cooled, with audible fan noise. With that in mind, we can't help but wonder whether X1 is the final hardware we'll see in the NX. Could it actually be a placeholder for Tegra X2? It's a new mobile processor Nvidia has in its arsenal and what's surprising about it is how little we actually know about it."

Given that the Eurogame/Digital Foundry articles are what started all this Tegra X1 discussion, I think you won't go against the source of all of this.

And where exatly is saying that some dev kits for NX dont have fans!?

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
Soundwave said:

Tegra was in the 3DS dev kits. Nintendo just backed out of the deal at the last minute.

Can you stop?  It was never in the dev kits and Nintendo didn't back out of the deal at the last minute.  The older 65 nm Tegra 650's were used in one the prototype boards.  It's common to use readily available off the shelf parts during prototyping.

I also saw infos that 3DS was early in development used Tegra but that Nvidia did not delivered what is promised so Nintendo found difrent solution.

Also huge difference is that back then nobody confirmed Eurogamer article, now multiply sites and sources confirmed Eurogamer NX infos.

BlkPaladin said:
Mbolibombo said:

See I am also believing it's nVidia based on these rumors. But that article is not confirmation by any means. Confirmation is when Nintendo actually says that is the case. 

The only problem I have with this rumor is that eurogamer has beat the Tegra for Nintendo's next system one too many times for me to find them a creditable source.

Also you should take SGI (Silicon Graphics) off the list, they are not a GPU maker anymore. They where bought by HP and now do data and analysis.

No, no, SGI is making the chips in the Ultra 64. I can see them doing the NX too.

Soundwave said:

In January 2014 (this is after his Jan 2013 comments obviously) Iwata said this:

“Still, I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors mightincrease. Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform.

Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment.

Sounds like between 2013 and 2014 they did a lot of experimentation, and by 2014 they were considering a hybrid device, because by Jan 2014 suddenly he doesn't know anymore if they need one device or multiple. My guess is over time Nintendo couldn't resist the hybrid idea, they probably fell in love with the design/possibilities once they prototyped a unit. 

" Last year we also started a project to integrate the architecture for our future platforms. 

What we mean by integrating platforms is not integrating handhelds devices and home consoles to make only one machine. 

What we are aiming at is to integrate the architecture to form a common basis for software development so that we can make software assets more transferrable, 

and operating systems and their build-in applications more portable, regardless of form factor or performance of each platform."

Just move on.

Soundwave said:
Also Nvidia/Tegra probably DID have the 3DS contract. Using a completely different company's GPU as a "placeholder" makes little sense.

What likely happened is the Tegra chip at that time didn't meet Nintendo's power consumption goals and Nintendo scuttled the deal.

Nintendo likely is getting an incredibly deal from Nvidia now that they couldn't pass up.

Because that's totally how business works, oh wait.

Soundwave said:
archbrix said:

I think the hope was that Nintendo would make an AMD x86 dedicated home console that was around PS4 power (maybe even a little better) that would use the new Polaris chip.  Supposedly these AMD chips are able to do an advanced form of what is essentially remote play.  So the idea is that Nintendo could go for power parity (home console) and have that just streamed to the handheld (shell controller) that could be taken and used anywhere thanks to the SCDs.

But it is far more likely that Nintendo would put the works in the mobile unit itself, ala the EG rumors, with the importance of the home unit coming in second.

Too late for a "little better than PS4 console". Nintendo is actually probably lucky they went the hybrid route, if they had pinned everything on a "little better than PS4" design, they'd be pretty fucked right now upon hearing about PS4 Neo and Scorpio. At least NX as has been leaked is something different. 

Don't worry, NX is a home console much more powerful than the ps4. Only someone completely ignorant to technology would think otherwise. Even more if they think neo and scorpio mean anything when they aren't even new consoles.

Miyamotoo said:
JEMC said:

Are you really asking me that, after the Digital Foundry link I posted and the excerpt? Ok, I'll do it again:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nintendo-nx-mobile-games-machine-powered-by-nvidia-tegra

"There's an additional wrinkle to the story too, albeit one we should treat with caution as it is single-source in nature (they treat it with caution because it comes from one source, therefore, that means that they are more confident with the other info because it comes from more than one source. And more than one source is several, numerous or multiple sources) with a lot of additional speculation on our part. This relates to the idea that the Tegra X1 in the NX development hardware is apparently actively cooled, with audible fan noise. With that in mind, we can't help but wonder whether X1 is the final hardware we'll see in the NX. Could it actually be a placeholder for Tegra X2? It's a new mobile processor Nvidia has in its arsenal and what's surprising about it is how little we actually know about it."

Given that the Eurogame/Digital Foundry articles are what started all this Tegra X1 discussion, I think you won't go against the source of all of this.

And where exatly is saying that some dev kits for NX dont have fans!?

I'm not sure if your reading comprehension is as bad as it seems, which is very unlikely, or you just refuse to see what's in front of your eyes because it doesn't fit in your vision.

If Eurogamer has various sources talking to them about the NX prototype, and when they make an article about it they think it's worth mentioning that one and only one of those sources talked about a fan powered dev kit, it means that the rest of the sources didn't confirm that, which in turn means that their units didn't have one.

Now, you can believe it or not, it's not my problem and, quite honestly, I don't care. We can move this fun discussion forward or you can insist in this useless point and kill the fun.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

learnthedifference said:
Soundwave said:

In January 2014 (this is after his Jan 2013 comments obviously) Iwata said this:

“Still, I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors mightincrease. Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform.

Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment.

Sounds like between 2013 and 2014 they did a lot of experimentation, and by 2014 they were considering a hybrid device, because by Jan 2014 suddenly he doesn't know anymore if they need one device or multiple. My guess is over time Nintendo couldn't resist the hybrid idea, they probably fell in love with the design/possibilities once they prototyped a unit. 

" Last year we also started a project to integrate the architecture for our future platforms. 

What we mean by integrating platforms is not integrating handhelds devices and home consoles to make only one machine. 

What we are aiming at is to integrate the architecture to form a common basis for software development so that we can make software assets more transferrable, 

and operating systems and their build-in applications more portable, regardless of form factor or performance of each platform."

Just move on.

That quote is from January 2013. By January 2014, he says this:

So now, a year later, he is not sure if the form factor will be integrated and he does not know if they need just one device or multiple. It's clear they are by Jan 2014 considering one device. Just move on.