By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Who will provide the NX GPU?

Who is making the NX GPU

nVida 187 41.19%

AMD 210 46.26%

Silicon Graphics Inc 16 3.52%

Sony (the power of the Cell!!!) 41 9.03%

Total:454
Miyamotoo said:
Airaku said:

According to Yahoo Finance you are wrong. AMD has, according to this "won an order for Nintendo’s upcoming console, codenamed “NX.”" It's interesting how this say's console.

All the Tegra articles make a mention about a handheld. These are two different sets of rumors for two different consoles which go under the same code name.

ibtimes reported on recent job listings by NoA looking to market a Handheld device and another for a Console.

It seems like a lot of people are behind on the rumors. I think the question should be asking which member of the NX family will be using a GPU provided by whom? Right now, it's all speculation. However a lot of the rumors and reports contradict each other unless we take into the account the possibilities of multiple systems. At this point we start to see a clear picture.

We talk about that already and like @Soundwave wrote, it's there speculation based just on AMD contract wins announcement AMD made few months ago, they don't have any actual info or source.

Eurogamer article, all sites and sources that confirmed that article saying NX is hybrid, so basically handheld but with base unit that will be used for playing on TV.

Job listing does not poiniting anything, because Nintendo this holiday season will still have handheld and home console, also Mini NES. It possible that all marketing leaders are moved to NX, and they now need new one for this holiday season.

Actually after Eurogamer release NX article, we had just confirmation of those infos from multiple sources, we didn't had any reliable article or source saying those infos are wrong or with contradictory infos.

You do have a point there. Execpt the Eurogamer article was a repeat of an older rumor. I remember back at the end of April there were some rumors that Nintendo was working with Nvidea on a new handheld NX system. Actually most of the Eurogamer article was just saying the same thing a couple of months later. I was actually having a talk with my friend a day or so after watching Civil War about it. So for me personally. Eurogamer is just repurpousing an old rumor.

Nothing has been fully confirmed and it's still all rumors and speculation. I'm still thinking that we will see two devices that operate under one OS or something. I would be very suprised if we are only getting the one system. I would also be suprised if both systems are revealed at the same time. I think the handheld component will be out this March. The console I'm not sure on. Looking at the specs of the handheld. Breath of the Wild will defiantely run on it and I think it's really cool that you can dock it to your TV and play. That's a feature that people have wanted with the 3DS and DS for a long time. Even if it's a minority of fans, it's a welcome feature. Considring the upconverter to the TV will likely be good. It's going to be one hell of a platform for on the go gamers.

Nintendo has a lot going for them right now and they are going to be a very different company from what we know over the course of the next couple years.

Around the Network

I'm gonna go with AMD, because it'll be funny to see how Miyamotoo and Soundwave react. xD

Airaku said:
Miyamotoo said:

We talk about that already and like @Soundwave wrote, it's there speculation based just on AMD contract wins announcement AMD made few months ago, they don't have any actual info or source.

Eurogamer article, all sites and sources that confirmed that article saying NX is hybrid, so basically handheld but with base unit that will be used for playing on TV.

Job listing does not poiniting anything, because Nintendo this holiday season will still have handheld and home console, also Mini NES. It possible that all marketing leaders are moved to NX, and they now need new one for this holiday season.

Actually after Eurogamer release NX article, we had just confirmation of those infos from multiple sources, we didn't had any reliable article or source saying those infos are wrong or with contradictory infos.

You do have a point there. Execpt the Eurogamer article was a repeat of an older rumor. I remember back at the end of April there were some rumors that Nintendo was working with Nvidea on a new handheld NX system. Actually most of the Eurogamer article was just saying the same thing a couple of months later. I was actually having a talk with my friend a day or so after watching Civil War about it. So for me personally. Eurogamer is just repurpousing an old rumor.

Nothing has been fully confirmed and it's still all rumors and speculation. I'm still thinking that we will see two devices that operate under one OS or something. I would be very suprised if we are only getting the one system. I would also be suprised if both systems are revealed at the same time. I think the handheld component will be out this March. The console I'm not sure on. Looking at the specs of the handheld. Breath of the Wild will defiantely run on it and I think it's really cool that you can dock it to your TV and play. That's a feature that people have wanted with the 3DS and DS for a long time. Even if it's a minority of fans, it's a welcome feature. Considring the upconverter to the TV will likely be good. It's going to be one hell of a platform for on the go gamers.

Nintendo has a lot going for them right now and they are going to be a very different company from what we know over the course of the next couple years.

This is that older SemiAccurate rumour. 

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1218933

But point is that Eurogamer does not take others rumours and post them, and they definatly not make huge article bases od those rumours, they have they own sources and they made huge article based on infos they receive from their sources, with lotsa details and they are very confident about all those infos in article. And like I wrote, not just that, infos from that Eurogamer article are confirmed from multiple reliable sources while we didn't had any reliable article or source saying those infos are wrong or with contradictory infos.

Of Course nothing is official until Nintendo revile NX, but at this point Eurogamer infos are very likely true. And if you have hybrid device, you don't really need another device in gen espacily beacuse its perfect unifed platform/devaice, only maybe some standalone SCD (supplemental computing device) addon for NX from Nintendo patent, that would give NX more power.

Yes, there huge changes going on in Nintendo last 2 years, but with NX and that new gen we finally see most of those changes.

Barkley said:
I'm gonna go with AMD, because it'll be funny to see how Miyamotoo and Soundwave react. xD

Nothing really points on AMD. xD

Miyamotoo said:

But point is that Eurogamer does not take others rumours and post them, and they definatly not make huge article bases od those rumours, they have they own sources and they made huge article based on infos they receive from their sources, with lotsa details and they are very confident about all those infos in article. And like I wrote, not just that, infos from that Eurogamer article are confirmed from multiple reliable sources while we didn't had any reliable article or source saying those infos are wrong or with contradictory infos.

Of Course nothing is official until Nintendo revile NX, but at this point Eurogamer infos are very likely true. And if you have hybrid device, you don't really need another device in gen espacily beacuse its perfect unifed platform/devaice, only maybe some standalone SCD (supplemental computing device) addon for NX from Nintendo patent, that would give NX more power.

Yes, there huge changes going on in Nintendo last 2 years, but with NX and that new gen we finally see most of those changes.

Eurogamer's info can be true, but also outdated.

Let me ask you something: did their sources have final dev kits? The answer is no, and we know it because Eurogamer said that there was one source who talked about a fan powered unit and they used that to speculate on the possibility that the retail units could use something more powerful like the Tegra X2. They wouldn't speculate if they knew that those were the final dev kits.

So, why use a Tegra X1 in those dev kits? Maybe because AMD is late in the development of the processor (which could also explain the delay from X-mas to March) and because the Tegra X1 is widely available and affordable, and Nintendo could use it to give developers an estimation of the NX final power.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Miyamotoo said:

Let me ask you something: did their sources have final dev kits? The answer is no, and we know it because Eurogamer said that there was one source who talked about a fan powered unit and they used that to speculate on the possibility that the retail units could use something more powerful like the Tegra X2. They wouldn't speculate if they knew that those were the final dev kits.

So, why use a Tegra X1 in those dev kits? Maybe because AMD is late in the development of the processor (which could also explain the delay from X-mas to March) and because the Tegra X1 is widely available and affordable, and Nintendo could use it to give developers an estimation of the NX final power.

I dont think they are outdated, but infos saying there are expecting new dev kits this month.

There is zero sense to use Nvidia Tegra X1 dev kit if you actually going with AMD, if they really going with AMD based console they would useAMD based dev kits from some older AMD hardware. That's incomparable less soluble than that NX using Tegra X1 or Pascaly based X2 chip for NX and because that we have Tegra based X1 dev kit.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
JEMC said:

I dont think they are outdated, but infos saying there are expecting new dev kits this month.

There is zero sense to use Nvidia Tegra X1 dev kit if you actually going with AMD, if they really going with AMD based console they would useAMD based dev kits from some older AMD hardware. That's incomparable less soluble than that NX using Tegra X1 or Pascaly based X2 chip for NX and because that we have Tegra based X1 dev kit.

Nintendo can't obviosuly use older AMD GPUs because they are too hot and power hungry, and can't be used on a sealed unit.

The Tegra X1 is a good compromise as it allows devs to start working on a machine with ARM processors and GPU architectures like those found in current PCs. Nintendo's middleware and the own devs could handle the transition from an Nvidia architecture to an AMD one. C'mon, it's not like launch games will use all the power and resources of the NX, right?

Oh, and if you have a link to where you saw about those new dev kits being shipped this month, I'd appreciate it.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Of course it is like tied right now... of course lol

JEMC said:
Miyamotoo said:

Nintendo can't obviosuly use older AMD GPUs because they are too hot and power hungry, and can't be used on a sealed unit.

The Tegra X1 is a good compromise as it allows devs to start working on a machine with ARM processors and GPU architectures like those found in current PCs. Nintendo's middleware and the own devs could handle the transition from an Nvidia architecture to an AMD one. C'mon, it's not like launch games will use all the power and resources of the NX, right?

Oh, and if you have a link to where you saw about those new dev kits being shipped this month, I'd appreciate it.

Offcourse it can use older AMD tech in dev kits if they relly go with AMD.

Now almost every product have ARM processor so ARM dev kit today relly isnt problem (also last few Nintendo handhelds are ARM based), but AMD GPU and Nvidia GPU are quite different, especially if we comparing Nvidia mobile Tegra X1 GPU and for instance PS4/XB1 console AMD GPUs, totaly difrent things. So it doesn't make sense, if Nintendo goes with AMD GPU they would you use AMD based dev kits, not Nvidia. It very easy, if you have dev kit of some architecture, its almost certain that product will have that architecture and not some completely different.

I dont have link, that was post of some insader on Neogaf, he just posted that he expecting new dev kit to arrive this month. Also when I already mentioned Neogaf, one reliable user from reliable source stating that NX will use Pascal Tegra chip (so it not just Eurogamer info about Pascal), and that totally have sense beacuse dev kits are overclocked X1 chip (like Eurogamer said).

Miyamotoo said:
JEMC said:

Now almost every product have ARM processor so ARM dev kit today relly isnt problem (also last few Nintendo handhelds are ARM based), but AMD GPU and Nvidia GPU are quite different, especially if we comparing Nvidia mobile Tegra X1 GPU and for instance PS4/XB1 console AMD GPUs, totaly difrent things. So it doesn't make sense, if Nintendo goes with AMD GPU they would you use AMD based dev kits, not Nvidia. It very easy, if you have dev kit of some architecture, its almost certain that product will have that architecture and not some completely different.

I dont have link, that was post of some insader on Neogaf, he just posted that he expecting new dev kit to arrive this month. Also when I already mentioned Neogaf, one reliable user from reliable source stating that NX will use Pascal Tegra chip (so it not just Eurogamer info about Pascal), and that totally have sense beacuse dev kits are overclocked X1 chip (like Eurogamer said).

The way Eurogamer described the dev kits, it makes it impossible to have AMD GPUs. They would need a device with fans, and by the Eurogamer article, only one of the dev kits had it.

What I said was not that they needed the Tegra X1 for its ARM processor, but for its combination of ARM and desktop GPU architecture. That's the key point, the combination of both worlds.

So those new dev kits come rom an insider... ok. If you want to believe it, then good for you, but please don't use it as facts.

Lastly, since when are the Tegra X1 in those NX dev kits overclocked? The Eurogamer article didn't said anything about that.

JEMC said:
Miyamotoo said:

The way Eurogamer described the dev kits, it makes it impossible to have AMD GPUs. They would need a device with fans, and by the Eurogamer article, only one of the dev kits had it.

What I said was not that they needed the Tegra X1 for its ARM processor, but for its combination of ARM and desktop GPU architecture. That's the key point, the combination of both worlds.

So those new dev kits come rom an insider... ok. If you want to believe it, then good for you, but please don't use it as facts.

Lastly, since when are the Tegra X1 in those NX dev kits overclocked? The Eurogamer article didn't said anything about that.

We talking about dev kits, not final product, even X1 dev kit for NX has fans, that doesnt mean that NX itself will have fans.

Yes, but like I wrote it doesn't make any sense to use Tegra X1 dev kit like combination of ARM and desktop architecture, beacuse Nvidia mobile Tegra X1 GPU and for instance PS4/XB1 console AMD GPUs are totally different things, not to mentione that Tegra X1 is not desktop GPU architecture its mobile architecture.

I didnt use that like fact, I am yet not sure about X2, but I am almost sure about Tegra X1 at least.

Its speculated that is overclocked because NX X1 dev kit is actively cooled with with audible fan noise.