By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Who will provide the NX GPU?

Who is making the NX GPU

nVida 187 41.19%

AMD 210 46.26%

Silicon Graphics Inc 16 3.52%

Sony (the power of the Cell!!!) 41 9.03%

Total:454

Will be Tegra X1, the new one will make it to expensive.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
It's already confirmed to be nVidia Tegra series. I thought everyone already knew this?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nintendo-nx-mobile-games-machine-powered-by-nvidia-tegra

See I am also believing it's nVidia based on these rumors. But that article is not confirmation by any means. Confirmation is when Nintendo actually says that is the case. 

I am pretty certain it will be some form of Nvidia's Tegra chip, there are far too many signs pointing to that for me to back AMD as the NX supplier.

I'm going to go on a wild guess here and say it's neither AMD or Nvidia!

It's common to see AMD on the console side but the same cannot be said for the portable side to which Nintendo has ALWAYS used highly non-mainstream and customized IPs in their chips ...

Nvidia has AMD beat as far as efficiency goes but it's not like they have a definitive edge against other IHVs focusing on mobile hardware and Nvidia generally has a bad reputation concerning hitting power targets in their Tegra SoCs ...

If nothing interesting shows up on Nvidia's next quarterly report or if they don't announce any big design wins with their unveiling of the new Tegra architecture I think it's time to drop the rumor that Nvidia is the chip designer for the NX ...

Qualcomm

Around the Network
JEMC said:
Miyamotoo said:
  • Nvidia team was told to get a console win or "go home." Enter Nintendo, who apparently made off very well in this deal. This to the point that SemiAccurate questions whether this is a "win" at all for Nvidia.
  • SA has heard that Nvidia are promising software, support, and the whole shebang at a very low cost. According to one source, Nvidia may even be taking a loss on this deal.
  • Not mentioned which generation of Tegra or process node will be used or when the handheld is scheduled for release.
  • No mention of the home console, but we can speculate what that might be and who might provide the chipset for that one.

http://semiaccurate.com/2016/05/12/guess-whos-silicon-is-in-nintendos-nx/

I don't want to sound rude, but don't treat SemiAccurate for a source of reliable information because it's not. It's just another source of info and rumors that, like the rest, sometimes is right and sometimes doesn't. 

And they are quite biased against Nvidia, which explains why in the article Nvidia seems desperate and willing to do anything, to put them in a bad position.

I didnt say that SemiAccurate is reliable source, but something like this definitely could be part of reason why Nintendo choose Nvidia instead AMD, it very posible that Nintendo made good deal with Nvidia, second reason would be that Nvidia chips are much more suitable for hand held that could be used with hybrid concept than similar solutions from AMD.

Mar1217 said:
Miyamotoo said:

You dont make any sense. WSJ and IGN from their sources confirmed infos about NX that Eurogamer wrote in their article.

Of Course nothing is official until Nintendo relieve NX, if you have artilce about NX from realible site, and then then those infos are confiremed buy multiply realibles sites or leakers, then most likly that actualy is true. In this case, Eurogamer made article and infos from that article were confirmed buy WSJ, IGN, MWC, wile SemiAccurate and Digitimes talked about NX using Nvidia even before Eurogamer article.

Most likely they can't say anything because of NX NDA. Also Nvidia next week will announce new Tegra Pascal based chip that has chance to be in NX.

- Ooooh, these ''sources''. Might as well say that my grandpa actually works at Nintendo and knows everything about the NX then. Can't believe we are in a era where some people trust whowever is gonna come out and say they got info from a ''reliable source'', which probably doesn't even exist in most case.

- Or it probably means they organized themselves well 

- Even if it was the case, I think they could probably have announced a design win without mentionning Nintendo. Hiding something from your investors is not really a good move you know,

Eurogamer is considered for very reliable source, same could say for Wall Street Journal, they are not random sites with some random rumours. On top of all that, IGN and MWC also confirmed Eurogamer infos from their own sources, and SemiAccurate and Digitimes also said that NX is using Nvidia.

We can't really know under what exactly NDA Nvidia is from Nintendo, especially if Nintendo is only who using that Nvidia design.

Mar1217 said:
Dunban67 said:

Nvidia did not " point out" they prob won t stay in the console market -  they did not discuss the console market one way or another -  

'Cause they are probably not interested in anymore

And yet infos we have pointing NX will have Nvidia chip..

Kirin_gaming said:
Miyamotoo said:

I think point is that they want to enter console market even that doesn't give them big profit, just to be present there and maybe later some else also would consider their chips for their consoles/platforms.

But again what would the point of that be? I think We've already established that console deals barely make any difference in a company's revenue especially one like Nvidia.The big 3 already know that Nvidia exists, they already know that they have the strongest and most efficient GPUs but they come at a premium price.Nvidia recently came into many investors eyes, they are currently a rising star, they need more deals like those with tesla which can possibly bring them billions they need to keep high profits to maintain a positive image, and like I've said countless times a console deal would do very little for a company like Nvidia, not to mention that having a losing deal like those guesses say would ruin their current image with investors.why would Nvidia ruin their image just for a petty console deal which will only cause them loses? do you now see why I and many other people are skeptical?

Bigger profit is always good, and it's not exactly good market image for Nvidia that none of current gaming consoles dont have an Nvidia chip and that they are all consoles are AMD based. For instance X1 chip or X2 Pascal based chip in NX, could be good comercial for Tegra for gaming waters, because potential sales of NX cannot be compared with only few sold millions of Nvidia Shield and tablet shield products. Console market is still big, and offcourse that is better for Nvidia to be part of that market also and not to be totaly off.

Hardly Nvidia have losing deal with Nintendo, but is very possible that they gave Nintendo good offer that will bring to them not big profit, but that doesn't mean losing deal.

Also there is rumour that Nvidia actualy canceld new Nvidia Sheield Tablet beacuse of NX.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/nvidia-drops-shield-tablet-successor-as-nintendo-nx-looms/

BlkPaladin said:
I put AMD because I believe they will use an AMD supplied ARM processor though I was reading about their ARM processors, and it doesn't eliminate that NVidia may be used to supply the graphics solution. It seems there was a supercomputer that was produced that used AMD's ARM tech and NVidia's graphic

Well heavily rumoured Nvidia X1 chip for NX actually have ARM CPU?

TEGRA X1 PROCESSOR SPECIFICATIONS

TEGRA X1
GPU NVIDIA Maxwell 256-core GPU
DX-12, OpenGL 4.5, NVIDIA CUDA®, OpenGL ES 3.1, AEP, and Vulkan
CPU 4 CPU-cores, 64-bit ARM® CPU
4x A57 2MB L2

- See more at: http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra-x1-processor.html#sthash.oeoVJUTy.dpuf

Miyamotoo said:
Loking at this poll its seems lotsa people missed Eurogamer article about NX that later was confirmed buy multiple reliable sites.

So we have Eurogamers infos that saying NX is using Nvidia X1 chip, also those Eurogamer infos are confirmed by multiple reliable sites.
On other hand nothing point that NX using AMD, so at this point its almost certain NX will have Nvidia chip.

According to Yahoo Finance you are wrong. AMD has, according to this "won an order for Nintendo’s upcoming console, codenamed “NX.”" It's interesting how this say's console. All the Tegra articles make a mention about a handheld. These are two different sets of rumors for two different consoles which go under the same code name. ibtimes reported on recent job listings by NoA looking to market a Handheld device and another for a Console.

It seems like a lot of people are behind on the rumors. I think the question should be asking which member of the NX family will be using a GPU provided by whom? Right now, it's all speculation. However a lot of the rumors and reports contradict each other unless we take into the account the possibilities of multiple systems. At this point we start to see a clear picture.

Airaku said:
Miyamotoo said:
Loking at this poll its seems lotsa people missed Eurogamer article about NX that later was confirmed buy multiple reliable sites.

So we have Eurogamers infos that saying NX is using Nvidia X1 chip, also those Eurogamer infos are confirmed by multiple reliable sites.
On other hand nothing point that NX using AMD, so at this point its almost certain NX will have Nvidia chip.

According to Yahoo Finance you are wrong. AMD has, according to this "won an order for Nintendo’s upcoming console, codenamed “NX.”" It's interesting how this say's console. All the Tegra articles make a mention about a handheld. These are two different sets of rumors for two different consoles which go under the same code name. ibtimes reported on recent job listings by NoA looking to market a Handheld device and another for a Console.

It seems like a lot of people are behind on the rumors. I think the question should be asking which member of the NX family will be using a GPU provided by whom? Right now, it's all speculation. However a lot of the rumors and reports contradict each other unless we take into the account the possibilities of multiple systems. At this point we start to see a clear picture.

Yahoo is just assuming one of the three contract wins AMD is bragging about must be Nintendo. They don't have any inside info. 

If the XBox S has a new custom chip design inside of it (some people are saying it's a Polaris 11) ... that basically destroys the whole AMD theory, there's your three contract wins right there -- Scorpio, PS4 Neo, and XB1 S. 

Nintendo does need marketing for consoles -- they have the NES Mini coming out and still another 6-7 months for the Wii U to be marketed. And probably after that there's the inevitable Super NES Mini and so on. NES Mini may not be a big deal to hardcore game enthusiasts (well some of them), but that doesn't mean it magically can market itself or requires no retail marketing support. NES Mini will probably sell more than any Wii U holiday season did. 

Airaku said:
Miyamotoo said:

According to Yahoo Finance you are wrong. AMD has, according to this "won an order for Nintendo’s upcoming console, codenamed “NX.”" It's interesting how this say's console.

All the Tegra articles make a mention about a handheld. These are two different sets of rumors for two different consoles which go under the same code name.

ibtimes reported on recent job listings by NoA looking to market a Handheld device and another for a Console.

We talk about that already and like @Soundwave wrote, it's there speculation based just on AMD contract wins announcement AMD made few months ago, they don't have any actual info or source.

Eurogamer article, all sites and sources that confirmed that article saying NX is hybrid, so basically handheld but with base unit that will be used for playing on TV.

Job listing does not poiniting anything, because Nintendo this holiday season will still have handheld and home console, also Mini NES. It possible that all marketing leaders are moved to NX, and they now need new one for this holiday season.

Actually after Eurogamer release NX article, we had just confirmation of those infos from multiple sources, we didn't had any reliable article or source saying those infos are wrong or with contradictory infos.

Miyamotoo said:
Airaku said:

According to Yahoo Finance you are wrong. AMD has, according to this "won an order for Nintendo’s upcoming console, codenamed “NX.”" It's interesting how this say's console.

All the Tegra articles make a mention about a handheld. These are two different sets of rumors for two different consoles which go under the same code name.

ibtimes reported on recent job listings by NoA looking to market a Handheld device and another for a Console.

We talk about that already and like @Soundwave wrote, it's there speculation based just on AMD contract wins announcement AMD made few months ago, they don't have any actual info or source.

Eurogamer article, all sites and sources that confirmed that article saying NX is hybrid, so basically handheld but with base unit that will be used for playing on TV.

Job listing does not poiniting anything, because Nintendo this holiday season will still have handheld and home console, also Mini NES. It possible that all marketing leaders are moved to NX, and they now need new one for this holiday season.

Actually after Eurogamer release NX article, we had just confirmation of those infos from multiple sources, we didn't had any reliable article or source saying those infos are wrong or with contradictory infos.

Wouldn't surprise me as the Wii U is winding down that a lot of Nintendo marketing staff is being gutted. 

They probably want to start fresh with the NX, but they still need to market the 3DS and Mini NES, and even some minor marketing for the Wii U. 

Mini NES deserves a lot of attention too, it's probably going to be one of the hot gifts to get this holiday season, and I'm sure Nintendo also already probably has SNES Mini and even N64 Mini units prototyped those will need marketing also. 

Even if going forward NX is a "portable" it will still need its own marketing division most likely, because 3DS is likely going nowhere until 2018 at the earliest too.