By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No Man's Sky owners chat - Park up your starship and drop anchor!

SvennoJ said:

Another tip, always spend 20 carbon on aliens you meet after finishing their initial question. Bottom option should always be available and gives you another word of their language. You can keep doing this again as long as you have carbon as it cycles between 2 sets of things you can ask for. It's very slow to do that though but it still adds up if you ask a word from everyone you meet.

The fastest way to learn lots of words is to re-use the same orange beacon/antenna thing to highlight all the monoliths in the area. Dunno if it's intended but there doesn't seem to be a limit to the uses of each beacon. All you need is 10 plutonium and iron to make bypass chips.

I got all the copper and iridium I needed in space btw. Keep a look out for big rocks. It seems all the materials are floating around in space too. I found this huge space potato covered in tons of copper and iridium. Iron looks like some malformed X shape rock, Chrysonite was in a more oval looking rock.

If you follow the path of the atlas, every time you're at an atlas interface, walk over the lights in the floor to learn a word. You will get at least 10 words per atlas interface. 

Around the Network

I thought that I had played NMS too much but I am not even close to what some of you have done.

SWORDF1SH said:
SvennoJ said:

Another tip, always spend 20 carbon on aliens you meet after finishing their initial question. Bottom option should always be available and gives you another word of their language. You can keep doing this again as long as you have carbon as it cycles between 2 sets of things you can ask for. It's very slow to do that though but it still adds up if you ask a word from everyone you meet.

The fastest way to learn lots of words is to re-use the same orange beacon/antenna thing to highlight all the monoliths in the area. Dunno if it's intended but there doesn't seem to be a limit to the uses of each beacon. All you need is 10 plutonium and iron to make bypass chips.

I got all the copper and iridium I needed in space btw. Keep a look out for big rocks. It seems all the materials are floating around in space too. I found this huge space potato covered in tons of copper and iridium. Iron looks like some malformed X shape rock, Chrysonite was in a more oval looking rock.

If you follow the path of the atlas, every time you're at an atlas interface, walk over the lights in the floor to learn a word. You will get at least 10 words per atlas interface. 

I only got one word at the first interface. I walked over all the lights, they simply got bright and then blinked out. I'll try again at the second one, I thought it rather odd it only worked for the first light. So much to do, I want to visit different class stars, I wonder what kinds are in the game.

SvennoJ said:
SWORDF1SH said:

I only got one word at the first interface. I walked over all the lights, they simply got bright and then blinked out. I'll try again at the second one, I thought it rather odd it only worked for the first light. So much to do, I want to visit different class stars, I wonder what kinds are in the game.

I'm not sure if there's a technique but it seemed like more lights gave words if you ran to them and stopped directly above before the light goes out.

How fun is it? Thats the main thing I need to know.

Around the Network
SWORDF1SH said:
SvennoJ said:

I'm not sure if there's a technique but it seemed like more lights gave words if you ran to them and stopped directly above before the light goes out.

Dunno, I got 5 words and 1 piece of tech at the second interface. Doesn't seem to matter how I approach the lights. Either it's glitchy or I simply already knew the other words. I landed on a hostile planet apparently as the milestone came up. Toxicity and very agressive sentinals. What counts as surviving though? Can I fly around? My inventory is full again, need to survive near a galactic terminal!

Some really useful information from Gamefaqs:

As we've all come to know, linking upgrades together causes them to become highlighted and confer an extra bonus. Well it bothered me that I didn't know how this works, so I did some testing. And these are the results.

First off all each upgrade work like this. L
+1 upgrade -> 25% increase
+2 upgrade -> 50% increase
+3 upgrade -> 75% increase

If you have multiple upgrades they are multiplicative.

1 upgrade
Base * 1.25 = total

1 & 2 upgrade
Base * 1.25 * 1.5 = total

1 & 2 & 3 upgrade
Base * 1.25 * 1.5 * 1.75 = total

And when you link upgrades together they get a bonus for touching another upgrade of the same color (doesn't have to be identical type just same color), per connection. Meaning if you have two things touching the same upgrade, that upgrade gets this bonus again. I've been trying to figure out the exact bonus percentage, but there is some minor variation however you look at it. But it's close to 3.5% (multiplicative) with rounding, this will get you within plus or minus 1. If I had my computer I could probably figure it out but I left it at work and so have been doing this by hand. And honestly 3.5% gets close enough. And the important part is knowing how you have to order the your upgrades.

Here is some raw data. Using boltcaster clip upgrades. Sorry, this is going to look messy since I'm on my phone.

Connections 0. 1. 2. 3. 4.
+1 upgrade. 60. 62. 64. 67. 69.
+2 upgrade. 72. 74. 77. 80. 83
+3 upgrade. 84 87 90 94 97

What this means is that in order for an upgrade to get its maximum potential it needs to be in the shape of a cross. The upgrade in the middle with its four sides touching a similarly colored upgrade. This means if you're linking together purely in a line. Your mission some of your bonus potential.

So let's say you have 4 upgrades in a line. The first upgrade gets a 1 connection bonus. The two middle upgrades both get 2 connection bonuses. The last upgrade gets 1 connection bonus.

But instead let's say you put your 4 upgrades in a square. Then they all get 2 connection bonuses.

Essentially what does this mean? Well it means you should surround your most important upgrades with minor upgrades.

The 4 connection bonus on the +3 clip amounts to a total of 13 additional rounds. While the 4 connection bonus on the +1 clip only amounts to 9 additional rounds. So to get the maximum possible upgrades. You'll want to have your highest level upgrades surrounded by lower level upgrades. And you'll want to build squares instead of lines of upgrades.

Anyways, that's all I have for now. If I have time during work tomorrow I may tease out the actual formula for bonuses. But not likely. I feel like this is enough information for people to make informed decisions on upgrade design.

Edit. PS. This means your exo suit upgrades should be ordered 132 or 231 and not 123 or 321.

And some useful information on star systems:

Yellow Stars/Class G

These are the default star systems you can travel to from the start of the game. Mostly basic resources can be be found on the planets present within them, and a lot of the planets are barren.

Red Stars/Class K

You need a warp reactor sigma upgrade to travel to these stars. Planets will have slightly rarer resources on them, and more planets will be habited with fauna and flora.

Green Stars/Class E

You need warp reactor tau upgrade to have the ability to travel to these systems. They contain even rarer resources and even more planets will be tropical/lush.

Blue Stars/Class B

You need a warp reactor theta upgrade to travel to these systems. Planets will have a chance of having even the rarest resources on them, and a higher chance of being lush with plentiful plant and animal life.

In my experience, by default the waypoints to the center, Atlas interference, and black holes only traverse the yellow stars, so by following the path you will only be seeing the lower tier systems. I think it's a way to reward players for venturing off the beaten track, but I'm not certain.
Keep in mind, this is only information from my experience. But to me, it seems that the higher tier systems have a higher chance of having more lush planets with rarer resources.

EDIT 2: Okay, so it looks like there could be more than four. /u/saffron3d linked a page with all the spectral classes that could potentially be in the game (take note that classes listed on that page are based on stars in our universe, not in the games). So far confirmed classes are G, K, E, B, M, F, O."

The PS5 Exists. 

zero129 said:
Versus_Evil said:
What the next couple of updates hopefully add.

- No more duped formulas/blueprints, just give me new stuff.

- More diverse stuff when destroying the cargo containers on the massive cargo ships.

- Allow me to fast travel back to systems I've found or show me a path back to them.

- Better journey screen, allow me to see more information like how much language % I've learned for what race.

- Allow me to transfer tech to new guns/ships from the old ones.

- New type of exosuits, maybe ones that are fully immune to certain elements.

- Allow me to probe planets so I know what resources I can find without landing.

Hopefully they will at least add most of that by the time they add base building.

If i build a massive base i better have an easy way of finding my way back to it lol xD.

Also hopefully when they do add base building they will also allow you to build up your own coloney. Hire an AI army to protect it.

Allow you to use this army to take over/destory other AI base etc. Then allow you to take over and rule the galaxy in grand 4x stratagy style xD.

Did they mention how it will work?

GribbleGrunger said:

Some really useful information from Gamefaqs:

Great info, keep posting this stuff :)

I made some adjustments to my multi-tool, 4x combat amplifier surrounded by 4 more green tiles, makes quick wok of sentinels and agressive animals. Very useful since I'm trying to survive on this extreme planet for a while with extremely hostile sentinel force, constant attacks. 120 total sentinals destroyed already, 70 on this planet.

Too bad you can't move things around as you lose half the materials every time you want to make a change. Knowing the order doesn't matter saves a lot, leave the expensive ones and surround them with cheap to move tech :)

My first extreme planet is very atmospheric place to explore. Very nice to travel around with the jetpack boost (got +1 and +3 upgrades for it)

Toxic planets look great, frequent storms are no problem with the toxic surpressor suit upgrade. It runs on titanium which the sentinals drop and resets the toxicity meter, no sweat.

I have been hunting for animals, trying to spot those red dots, 2 left to find but no more red dots. Could they be deeper in caves? There are some very angry critters down there :/ Life is abundant above ground with some weird stuff like this

And I ran into another glitch, the pulse engine delivered me inside the atlas interface

Could not get out anymore, the ship kept bouncing around inside. I'm supposed to be in that tunnel. Luckily the pulse engines weren't disabled as with space stations, that got me back out.

I have the same problem on the planet I'm doing the extreme survival challenge on. Can't find the 12th species anywhere and I've been walking around for 27 Sols already, frequently checking for any red dots in the scanner. I'm upto a 20 slot multi tool now, however since you only get half the mats back while cleaning out the old one I can't upgrade it fully yet. No Chrysonite nor Iridium on this planet.

This is one hostile planet, 215 sentinels killed and this happens when one gets stuck and you can't find it. I thought I was momentarily save yet I the wanted level went up to 5 blocks and a little surprise spawned right next to me.

I managed to take it down (it hits hard!) yet got overwhelmed with backup appearing. I fled with the backpack boost down the mountain (best part of the game, strike then boost) but the wanted level would not come down. After 5 minutes the game suddenly dropped to 10fps, running in slow motion. I had to reload the game to fix it which unfortunately wiped the markers I was heading for :/

Luckily there's plenty to keep me busy on this planet, I'm still learning more Vy'keen, over 200 words now.
I should really name this place after spending all this time on one planet. I haven't named any yet, too lazy.

After a rocky start this game is taking over my life, 3:30 am, go to bed.