By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - AMD looking more & more to be providing silicon for the NX

Maybe Nintendo can add power through Supplemental Compute Docks for home play but the main NX is only going to have so much power. There's just no getting around that. And the gap between "home mode" and "portable mode" can't be so ridiculously large because that will compromise being able to have the same/similar experience on the road as at home. 

If you want a super-powerful console buy a XBox Scorpio or build yourself a PC. Really, it's that simple.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Maybe Nintendo can add power through Supplemental Compute Docks for home play but the main NX is only going to have so much power. There's just no getting around that. And the gap between "home mode" and "portable mode" can't be so ridiculously large because that will compromise being able to have the same/similar experience on the road as at home. 

If you want a super-powerful console buy a XBox Scorpio or build yourself a PC. Really, it's that simple.

I already own an Xbox One. I will be buying an Xbox One Scorpio once it becomes available.
And I already own multiple PC's, I am actually primarily a PC gamer.

Why is it so wrong for me to want a Nintendo console as well, that also pushes graphics? I'm a consumer too you know.

Having anything modular tends to lead to fragmentation or at the very minimum a compromise in the graphics as developers need to worry about the lowest common denominator if your hardware specicifications change.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
teigaga said:

I would have to disagree a little bit here. I want a powerful system but I can't ignore the reality that a lack of power encourages devs to think more creatively about what they offer to the system. Fundementally a weaker system would have to prove itself a success before getting support from many western 3rd parties, but in the event it does, unique titles like what we saw on the Wii, DS and even the 3DS is more benefitial to the industry than Nintendo just recieveing the same big budget games we see on PS4/Xbox One.

And yet... Console hardware has often held back what developers could do with games.

One of the more notable examples would have been Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on the Nintendo 64, they were amazing games in their own right, but they would also only have 10-20fps in most instances, imagine what could have been achieved back then if the Nintendo 64 had twice the performance? Maybe the environments could have been fully destructable instead of select objects? Maybe Physics could have been more advanced (Which isn't to be understated. - See Portal and Half Life 2)

Lack of power doesn't really stop a developer from being creative, publishers and developers stop themselves from being creative. :P
Graphics and Gameplay can lend itself and augment each other really well, I need both in my games... If a game is graphically poor, chances are I won't be bothered to play it and if the gameplay sucks, chances are the game gets shelved.

Graphics also helps sell games, it's what you see in trailers, what is shown on posters... And that should help drive sales.

The Original Xbox for instance was the most advanced console of that entire generation and arguably had one of the best games of that Generation that would help define the console of the next Generation, Halo.
The extra power offered by the Xbox also allowed for console gamers to experience one of the great PC franchises for the first time, The Elder Scrolls with Morrowind.

Power and thus graphics helps make worlds believable, makes you stand around in a game and enjoy the sunset, I don't believe it's the arch nemisis of Gameplay, I do need both and I do wan't both. And guess what? Thanks to technology you can actually have both.

And it was also an economic failure. You cant just build a powerhouse console and expect it to dominate the market because of it. There's a fine line of balance to achieve a product that can deliver good price, good value and nice graphics. Finding that is hard and in my mind not yet achieved by anyone except for maybe the PS4 who has decent enough graphics, a bit expensive but not too much but most importantly it is selling extremely well. Which is why I am doubtful about the NEO and Scorpio if they become too powerful they will also cost way too much to find an audience. 

Pemalite said:
Soundwave said:

I already own an Xbox One. I will be buying an Xbox One Scorpio once it becomes available.
And I already own multiple PC's, I am actually primarily a PC gamer.

Why is it so wrong for me to want a Nintendo console as well, that also pushes graphics? I'm a consumer too you know.

Having anything modular tends to lead to fragmentation or at the very minimum a compromise in the graphics as developers need to worry about the lowest common denominator if your hardware specicifications change.

There's nothing wrong with that, heck I wouldn't mind a powerful Nintendo console either, but sadly there's no reason for them to make powerful consoles anymore. Maybe things would have been different if they wouldn't have screwed up the N64 and the GC, but what can we do..

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Soundwave said:

Given that you've said many times that, in your opinion, the dock to connect the NX to the TV has to do something more than just that, like having extra hardware to make the NX a more powerful machine, I have to ask: Those Supplemental Compute Docks are the regular docks that will connect the NX to the TV or are other docks that get connected to NX or the first dock?

Oh, and I already game on PC but, like Pemalite, that doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to see a Xenoblade, Zelda or proper Metroid game that rivals what can be found in other consoles in terms of scale and graphics.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
teigaga said:

I would have to disagree a little bit here. I want a powerful system but I can't ignore the reality that a lack of power encourages devs to think more creatively about what they offer to the system. Fundementally a weaker system would have to prove itself a success before getting support from many western 3rd parties, but in the event it does, unique titles like what we saw on the Wii, DS and even the 3DS is more benefitial to the industry than Nintendo just recieveing the same big budget games we see on PS4/Xbox One.

And yet... Console hardware has often held back what developers could do with games.

One of the more notable examples would have been Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on the Nintendo 64, they were amazing games in their own right, but they would also only have 10-20fps in most instances, imagine what could have been achieved back then if the Nintendo 64 had twice the performance? Maybe the environments could have been fully destructable instead of select objects? Maybe Physics could have been more advanced (Which isn't to be understated. - See Portal and Half Life 2)

Lack of power doesn't really stop a developer from being creative, publishers and developers stop themselves from being creative. :P
Graphics and Gameplay can lend itself and augment each other really well, I need both in my games... If a game is graphically poor, chances are I won't be bothered to play it and if the gameplay sucks, chances are the game gets shelved.

Graphics also helps sell games, it's what you see in trailers, what is shown on posters... And that should help drive sales.

The Original Xbox for instance was the most advanced console of that entire generation and arguably had one of the best games of that Generation that would help define the console of the next Generation, Halo.
The extra power offered by the Xbox also allowed for console gamers to experience one of the great PC franchises for the first time, The Elder Scrolls with Morrowind.

Power and thus graphics helps make worlds believable, makes you stand around in a game and enjoy the sunset, I don't believe it's the arch nemisis of Gameplay, I do need both and I do wan't both. And guess what? Thanks to technology you can actually have both.

I know power is great for developers so let me rephrase the point.  A system 3x the PS4 would simply recieve suprior versions of PS4 games. A System 1/3 PS4 might require so much effort to port down to that the devs instead think of unique experience they can sell to the NX's userbase. Naturally many of these games will be smaller in budget but thats fine with me! :)

Of course this all assuming the NX is a hit at launch (I think it will be if it can function as a consumer tablet)

Pemalite said:
teigaga said:

Im curious why you need a powerful nintendo console in order to buy it?

You have said you own PC's an xbox one and are buying a scorpio.

xbox one wasn't the most powerful console but you purchased it.

you already have pc's for power.

you are planning on buying a scorpio (presumably for powerful console)

Nintendo isn't going to all the sudden change their art style to ultra realistic just because they make a powerful console so that can't be it.

It would seem you already have better places to play multiplats.

why would a powerful Nintendo console all the sudden help with the purchase?  In your scenario it would seem games would be more important.

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

teigaga said:
Pemalite said:

I know power is great for developers so let me rephrase the point.  A system 3x the PS4 would simply recieve suprior versions of PS4 games. A System 1/3 PS4 might require so much effort to port down to that the devs instead think of unique experience they can sell to the NX's userbase. Naturally many of these games will be smaller in budget but thats fine with me! :)

Of course this all assuming the NX is a hit at launch (I think it will be if it can function as a consumer tablet)

Unfortunately, that's not how the world works. A system 1/3 of the PS4 might require so much effort to make that the decs simply don't care and the console gets nothing.

Lrdfancypants said:

Im curious why you need a powerful nintendo console in order to buy it?

You have said you own PC's an xbox one and are buying a scorpio.

xbox one wasn't the most powerful console but you purchased it.

you already have pc's for power.

you are planning on buying a scorpio (presumably for powerful console)

Nintendo isn't going to all the sudden change their art style to ultra realistic just because they make a powerful console so that can't be it.

It would seem you already have better places to play multiplats.

why would a powerful Nintendo console all the sudden help with the purchase?  In your scenario it would seem games would be more important.

I somewhat agree with this as an owner of a high end PC a high powered console from them wouldn't really add much, servicable power would do for multiplatform titles for those who don't have any access to them but power is not what strictly brings multiplatforms over.

Teeqoz said:
teigaga said:

Unfortunately, that's not how the world works. A system 1/3 of the PS4 might require so much effort to make that the decs simply don't care and the console gets nothing.

The world has worked like this in the past. Some devs like Bethesda are very much about power and their own ambitions but most are about money and relevance. If the NX can prove itself relevant I don't doubt that it will see unique support, but only time will tell...