By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Gran Turismo 6 sold 5 million and and GT5 sold 12 million!

Azzanation said:
Intrinsic said:

So true, esoecially considering that Halo 5 released for the 360 stoujf the same time the XB1 was launched. 

........ oh wait.

Considering 85m PS3s sold compared to 15m X1s sold and both Halo5 and GT6 end up on the same figures.. hmm interesting attach ratio.

You cant tell me everyone sold there PS3s to purchase PS4 because if that was true than PS4s would of sold around the 85m mark at launch haha thats a poor excuse to why a game didn't sell. 

Just remember Halo5 is still selling and probably finish up on 6m to 7m lifetime which are reasonably great numbers for any game. Just fual for thought, Sonys greatest ever game TLOU sold 7m. So i wouldnt be worried with Halo sales.

Got love when people act like an old console with a great install base is supposed to sell well as if all those owners till buy games for it.

I mean do you expect xb360 games to outsell xb1 games? Considering the very important install base and all?

Around the Network
ArchangelMadzz said:

Holy shit am I the only one thinking it did well? Yeah it's a drop off but it released after PS4 was breaking records and focus was on that. To sell 5 million units being exclusive to a console on a previous generation for it's entire existence is mad.

Just shows you what a beast GT is.  

Azzanation said:

Considering 85m PS3s sold compared to 15m X1s sold and both Halo5 and GT6 end up on the same figures.. hmm interesting attach ratio.

You cant tell me everyone sold there PS3s to purchase PS4 because if that was true than PS4s would of sold around the 85m mark at launch haha thats a poor excuse to why a game didn't sell. 

Just remember Halo5 is still selling and probably finish up on 6m to 7m lifetime which are reasonably great numbers for any game. Just fual for thought, Sonys greatest ever game TLOU sold 7m. So i wouldnt be worried with Halo sales.

While GT6 surelly dropped off, you can't compare this install bases with the sales and get an atttach ratio. Halo 3 sold 12M, Halo 4 sold almost 10M. But the first one did it with 20M consoles, while the next game did it with 80M. Halo 4 would be considered a flop? Would it have to sell 50M to be success? Does not make sense.

FIT_Gamer said:
Chris Hu said:

Nope, it will launch with 137 cars and 19 tracks.

Yes but they are adding more cars. https://www.gtplanet.net/gt-sport-could-eventually-feature-up-to-500-cars/

Doubt it will get to the 500 mark.  But its good that it only has premium models hope they don't bring back the standard cars for GT7.

GT PSP is impressive. That released pretty late in the PSP lifecycle. Piracy had already wreaked havoc on the systems software sales.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

I wish they had just incorporated GT sport on GT7. I feel like it will steal the thunder of GT7 amd sales won't really pick back up.

Farsala said:
Mr Puggsly said:

CoD Ghosts, Fifa, and GTAV flew past GT6 launching near 8th gen consoles.

So I think the massive decline of GT6 was both people moving to new consoles AND declined interest. GT6 is basically just an updated GT5.

While true, there are some key differences as compared to GT6.

1. Those games launched before next gen.

2. Those games were multiplat.

3. Cod Ghosts was cross gen buy, and I am fairly sure Fifa was as well. GTA V has the special case of being GTA V, ie exceeding all expectations and still a top selling game in 2016.

GT6 should have been multiplat with PS4 and cross gen buy for more incentive to buy imo.

1. They sold well even post 8th gen console launches and lost sales from being cross plat.

2. Not relevant in my opinion, there was still a large audience buying PS3 games at the time.

3. I don't recall CoD:Ghosts having the cross buy thing. Fifa might have had some upgrade deal, perhaps an EA promotion. GTAV is just an example, there was great interest in that and declining interest in GT6. But like I said before, it was basically just an updated version of the last game.

I agree that GT6 should have been cross plat, simple tweaks could have made it look and perform signficantly better on PS4. It could be the best racer on PS4 even now. I feel they didn't do it because it wouldn't be a graphical showcase for PS4.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Nem said:
I wish they had just incorporated GT sport on GT7. I feel like it will steal the thunder of GT7 amd sales won't really pick back up.

Personally I'll be very happy if we get sport this year and GT7 in 2018.  That would be enough GT for the gen and would allow them to get started on the next GT for the PS5. 

Mr Puggsly said:
Farsala said:

While true, there are some key differences as compared to GT6.

1. Those games launched before next gen.

2. Those games were multiplat.

3. Cod Ghosts was cross gen buy, and I am fairly sure Fifa was as well. GTA V has the special case of being GTA V, ie exceeding all expectations and still a top selling game in 2016.

GT6 should have been multiplat with PS4 and cross gen buy for more incentive to buy imo.

1. They sold well even post 8th gen console launches and lost sales from being cross plat.

2. Not relevant in my opinion, there was still a large audience buying PS3 games at the time.

3. I don't recall CoD:Ghosts having the cross buy thing. Fifa might have had some upgrade deal, perhaps an EA promotion. GTAV is just an example, there was great interest in that and declining interest in GT6. But like I said before, it was basically just an updated version of the last game.

I agree that GT6 should have been cross plat, simple tweaks could have made it look and perform signficantly better on PS4. It could be the best racer on PS4 even now. I feel they didn't do it because it wouldn't be a graphical showcase for PS4.

1. Define sold well, GT6 sold well...

2. Most of PS3 sales are undocumented due to its popularity in Europe, as we can see has happened for GT6.

3.http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/21/upgrade-call-of-duty-ghosts-from-ps3-to-ps4-for-a-tenner

Polyphony seem to do whatever they want, which can be hazardous to regular production...

torok said:
Azzanation said:

While GT6 surelly dropped off, you can't compare this install bases with the sales and get an atttach ratio. Halo 3 sold 12M, Halo 4 sold almost 10M. But the first one did it with 20M consoles, while the next game did it with 80M. Halo 4 would be considered a flop? Would it have to sell 50M to be success? Does not make sense.

Your missing the point. Sure Halo 3 sold 12m on similar consoles sold however my point is people act as if Halo 5 flopped yet it managed to sell similar numbers on a far inferior support base.

What game is more successful?

Halo5 = 5m sold on 15m consoles

GT6 = 5m sold on a 85m consoles 

Halo 5 also is still selling and could possibly retire at 7m lifetime. If Halo 5 released on the 360 it would have done 10m just like Halo 4.

Whats GT6s excuse? It released on the same platform as GT5 which sold 12m.

Unlike many of you in here. Halo 5 sits on a very good attach rate unlike GT6. 

Funny how some still say Halo 5 flopped on sales yet GT6 managed the same with a much larger install. I wonder if its because they dont like Microsoft?