By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No Man's Sky Metacritic - Critic 72, User 5.0

Why are we updating USER SCORE in first place??

Around the Network
poklane said:

So, anyone else still not know if they should get the game or not? I'm afraid it will get boring very quickly... I still have 1 hour and 20 minutes left to pre-order and get the game tomorrow.....

Same and it not helps it is more expensive than other explore craft games. The issue with most explore/Craft/Create games is that you play it for 20 hours and are in love with it because it is all new and you craft things so fast and have goals but after it the initital hours crafting gets harder and possible not fun. Like somebody creating something in minecraft but then remembers he need another 33000 cobble stones to finish his castle and simply give up on it.  Most games though and especially minecraft have an excellent multiplayer aspect that can make the game insanely addicting.

it kind of bothers me that sony not announced mod support for it but I feel like not getting this game on PS4 for sure because mod support can make the game brilliantly addicting.  Well if you will get it I hope you love it. Otherwise just report Gribble for trying to make us hyped for the game =p.

Gamersglobal.de : 6/10
http://www.gamersglobal.de/test/no-mans-sky?page=0,6

Reviewer says, it's basically an One-Trick-Pony that is able to wow you for the first 5 hours when you encounter news things but after that it's all routine. He played 40 hours and says he wished he stopped after 10.

*copied from neogaf*

Goodnightmoon said:

First critic review is up, Jim didn´t liked it, he gives it the same exact score the users are giving it.

Jimquisition: Even with my expectations guarded, however, I did not expect just another survival/crafting game that used randomization as a crutch to the point of losing all potential personality. 5/10

Hasn't this been the way its been explained for a few years now?

I hate when games/movies get bad reviews becuase the person wanted something different than it was. 

irstupid said:
Goodnightmoon said:

First critic review is up, Jim didn´t liked it, he gives it the same exact score the users are giving it.

Jimquisition: Even with my expectations guarded, however, I did not expect just another survival/crafting game that used randomization as a crutch to the point of losing all potential personality. 5/10

Hasn't this been the way its been explained for a few years now?

I hate when games/movies get bad reviews becuase the person wanted something different than it was. 

After seeing his video preview I think he means he didn't expected it to be so like every other game on the genre, so average.

I personally was expecting it but with all the hype the game had behind is easy if people was expecting a bit more than just that.

Around the Network

The reviews so far pretty much confirm my initial thoughts of the game. Algorithms are generally very poor game designers.

From what I've played it is what I hoped and wanted. A big universe to explore and discover.

Moments like encountering a new species or standing on a moon observing a planet, learning alien languages. It is a very different experience, and for me is one fills me with wonder. We'll see about longevity, but for now very content with the experience.

JWeinCom said:
The reviews so far pretty much confirm my initial thoughts of the game. Algorithms are generally very poor game designers.

That and some of the reviewers I;ve watched over the years are feeling the same. 

Jim Sterling feels that it doesn't really grab him that much. Karak from ACG says to wait for a deep discount:

Some reviews I've seen point out the inventory system, Dtoid specifically points out the two fuel need and watching Angry Joe having to muck around with the inventory while having to hold down to drag items from one to another and the controls not doing so well give some issues that need sorting.

I'll be waiting for a discount anyway along with improvement patches.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Yeah you can blame fanboys or you can accept that this game is going to leave some people horribly dissapointed. Quite simply the game is going to bore the tears out of a lot of buyers, while some are going to love it.
At this point I'm on the former side of the scale, but I'll come back to it in a week and put a few more hours In to see if I change my mind.

the reviews match exactly what I expected from the very beginning: this is a large scale game in terms of scope and universe- but its mostly auto generated with limited soul.

Obviously its pretty and its really cool to fly a spaceship freely around exploring space- BUT if there is no impact of story and you essentially have no actions to take to effect anything... it feels a bit pointless. They also acted as if to some degree there COULD be some multiplayer interaction if you played a while and finally found other players, but it seems as if that is practically non existent (what is a space game with combat ships this large without the ability to conflict with other players?)

I've also heard that the NPC's do largely nothing except sit around on the planets and ships (the 'traders' or 'pirates' or whatever).

I think the reality is that its an issue of quantity over quality. You can only collect resources over and over until it gets boring and mundane. 

Cool premise but a game needs some level of story or point to keep someone attached. I mean even a simple goal, like in a Mario game how you are trying to save the princess, or in a Fallout game where you can either follow a story or go and create your own goals and screw around. the problem with No Man's Sky seems to be it literally IS just a big sandbox without much else going on so its difficult for players to even creatively try and make up things to do or their own 'stories'

I actually find it a bit annoying, the concept that the developers seem more obsessed with making things as 'big' as possible rather than a game that's a complete package. Like an auto generator seemed to be the main focus