By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No Man's Sky Metacritic - Critic 72, User 5.0

GOWTLOZ said:
0815user said:

better than uncharted 4... just saying

Not for me and Uncharted 4 is 10 hours long and also has multiplayer.

the multiplayer i would consider false advertisement because if i would've known the changes they made from the beta to the full release in advance, i probably would have skipped the whole game. the amount the penalized individual play against teamplay with the final release was unbearable for taste. as for the campaign, let's just say the 6 hours of the order were more fun and memorable than the 10+ hours of uncharted 4.

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:

GameSpot

"Even a few hours in, however, there comes a point where the loop of seeking and acquiring gear begins to sag, and the vastness of the galaxy sinks in. With an unfathomable universe beckoning, and hundreds of thousands of light years separating you from the intended finish line at the center of the galaxy, it becomes far too easy to question the meaning of your pursuits. No Man's Sky is an impressive technical feat, but its enormity may come at a cost. What does it mean to be alive in a world where everything is driven by algorithms, and your existence is solitary?"

IGN

"This is an enormously complex game, but it gets there by means of networking together many different mundane tasks. So far that’s been as amusing as it generally is in the genre of survival crafting games, but at this point No Man’s Sky has done little to set itself apart other than the impressive spectacle of flying from one impractically huge world to another without obvious loading screens between them."

USGamers

"The lack of emphasis on combat has led some to ask what exactly you're supposed to be doing in No Man's Sky outside of collecting resources. The answer, I suppose, is to find out what is at the end of the proverbial rainbow."

Polygon:

"I would love the opportunity to just explore these places, jump between them at will, explore the galaxy and see what awaits me without the constant pressure to collect a bunch of crafting materials just to survive."

Are you sure all those userscore reviews comes from haters? Some pretty important webs are saying similar things, it looks like the game has all the problems I thought it would, and since so many people was expecting some kind of game changing hit it wouldn't surprise me if that big disappointment has been translated into a lot of 0, people constantly overreact on the internet after all.

If is all because haters are hating an exclusive... can anybody explain me why Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 user scores were always high and green since the very first day?

The OT never claimed they were all from haters, just that a lot of them were. The score curve certainly implies at least 1 end (likely both, if to varying degrees) of the spectrum is motivated by disingenuous reasons.

Anyway, to the latter half of the bolded, yes, it can be explained.

There are many variables than can come into play when determining where a game's metacritic user score will end up (the end result is frequently a representation more of circumstance rather than quality), but often the most relevant question is simply "What is this games ratio of fans to haters, and why are those people fans/haters?". A game can have lots of haters and still be rated well,  the former group just has to be sufficiently larger. Even then though, the scores will often take a hit, especially since the larger the former group, the more power a single negative rating has. UC4 is a pretty good example. Despite having managed to stay in the green, its metacritic user scores still sits pretty far outside its general user score curve:

Metacritic: 7.8
IMDb: 9.8
IGN: 9.5
Gamespot: 9.1
N4G: 9.5 
Amazon UK: 9.4
Amazon US: 9.6
Amazon JP: 9.0
Amazon SP: 9.6
Amazoon FR: 9.2
Amazon GR: 9.2
Amazon CA: 9.8

Now, we can see here there is still plenty of variability (there's a pretty big difference between a 9.8 and a 9.0 in the gaming world), and none of these scores will be the result of 100% honest score aggregation, different sites can suffer different problems on the user front (and these scores have varying sample sizes), but one does stick out far more than the others, and (from those that show it) we can see it has by far the least logical score distribution. That doesn't mean said score can't accurately represent the opinion of some, but it's pretty clear from looking at the scores above that quality isn't the only factor determining where they end up.

Goodnightmoon said:

If is all because haters are hating an exclusive... can anybody explain me why Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 user scores were always high and green since the very first day?

You clearly weren't in the Bloodborne thread, Metacritic removed around 50-100 troll reviews. 

Same thing happened with Uncharted 4, not to the same extent as BB though.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

This happens with lots of games due to console warz. Hell, one of the posters here who used to post a ton was exposed on GAF for being part of it, lol.

I didn't realise we even still valued user scores on Metacritic?

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

I take Metacritic with a grain of salt. Half of the people that leave reviews, probably never even have played the game. It ends up being more fanboy crap, from the opposite system, more than anything, imo. Same for a lot of the negative reviews for games on Amazon.

I'll just start flying to the center when it starts. Call you guys in a million years to let you know what's there.

I am Iron Man

Goodnightmoon said:

GameSpot

"Even a few hours in, however, there comes a point where the loop of seeking and acquiring gear begins to sag, and the vastness of the galaxy sinks in. With an unfathomable universe beckoning, and hundreds of thousands of light years separating you from the intended finish line at the center of the galaxy, it becomes far too easy to question the meaning of your pursuits. No Man's Sky is an impressive technical feat, but its enormity may come at a cost. What does it mean to be alive in a world where everything is driven by algorithms, and your existence is solitary?"

IGN

"This is an enormously complex game, but it gets there by means of networking together many different mundane tasks. So far that’s been as amusing as it generally is in the genre of survival crafting games, but at this point No Man’s Sky has done little to set itself apart other than the impressive spectacle of flying from one impractically huge world to another without obvious loading screens between them."

USGamers

"The lack of emphasis on combat has led some to ask what exactly you're supposed to be doing in No Man's Sky outside of collecting resources. The answer, I suppose, is to find out what is at the end of the proverbial rainbow."

Polygon:

"I would love the opportunity to just explore these places, jump between them at will, explore the galaxy and see what awaits me without the constant pressure to collect a bunch of crafting materials just to survive."

Are you sure all those userscore reviews comes from haters? Some pretty important webs are saying similar things, it looks like the game has all the problems I thought it would, and since so many people was expecting some kind of game changing hit it wouldn't surprise me if that big disappointment has been translated into a lot of 0, people constantly overreact on the internet after all.

Were those games originally thought to be multiplatform?

I would liken this more to say something like ROTTR. 

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

naruball said:
Lrdfancypants said:

My favorite one was a 0 because it was boring and nothing to do on millions of planets that have the same things.  

I have the game.  How on earth can a person have already visited enough of this game to conclude this?  I'm still doodling around on the first planet.

Dude, haven't you heard? Apparently user reviews are more important and reliable than professional ones, since they are not biased or bought.

The guy could be right on his assessment.  I just found it amusing that he said millions of planets are the same as if he has visited them when I have not even left the first planet yet.  I do have a life but even if I did not and played non stop I might just be landing on planet 2 right now.  :)

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

Metapod strikes back.

Metacritic*