By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - HTC Vive China Boss Criticizes PSVR

Alvin Wang Graylin, head of the Chinese VR division of HTC is reported as saying: “The price set by Sony for PlayStation VR, 399 euros, may seem economical for users but is misleading. Graylin also went on to talk about his experience with PlayStation VR: “tried the product but not just been entirely comfortable after ten minutes,” before remarking about the age of SIE’s technology: “it is technology that has already six years and were created to compete with Wii”.

Base price for the PlayStation VR only includes the HMD and not any of the other peripherals like the PlayStation 4 camera or the PlayStation Move controllers. SIE said it had done this because there will be a lot of users who might already own the camera or controllers.

http://www.vrfocus.com/2016/08/psvr-price-may-seem-economical-for-users-but-is-misleading-states-htc-china-president/

Around the Network

Yet PS VR will create the main buzz for VR platforms. Sony will crate the real buzz. If quality was issue people would have invested in PCs instead of Wii.

daredevil.shark said:
Yet PS VR will create the main buzz for VR platforms. Sony will crate the real buzz. If quality was issue people would have invested in PCs instead of Wii.

I agree. IMO that HTC guy was probably afraid that PSVR will outsell HTC vive, so he needed to badmouth PSVR. Key people in companies do this everyday.

But HTC don't know their real problem. The question is, will Sony support other VR devices or will they only support PSVR?

HTC vive is amazing. (Altough is thanks to Valve and not HTC).

I am gadly I didn't wait for PS VR and just purchased the superior VR tech of 2016.

HTC Vive is the highest VR experience a person can get but it also costs almost twice the amount... Obviously PSVR is not gonna feel the same...

Plus... A company criticizing its competitor is really nothing new.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
HTC Vive is the highest VR experience a person can get but it also costs almost twice the amount...

Yeah, it costs €899 + €60 shipping, if you order it in the HTC shop. The cheapest offer is €904 here in Germany (Caseking: €899 + €5 shipping).

PSVR will be available for €399 in Germany, shipping included (f.e. Amazon.de and many other retailers). Add a used PS4 camera (around €30 in perfect condition), and you are set up for most PSVR games. Used PS move controllers will cost you €10 - €20 each, if you are into the motion controlled titles.

So €904 vs. €430 - €470... in my case €904 vs. €399, because I already have the camera and 2 move-controllers.

My PC is VR ready, but I'll wait for the next HTC Vive revision (hopefully without a pentile matrix display) and I will start with VR on my PS4 first.

But maybe I'll change my mind when I try the PSVR + HTC Vive out on GamesCom in two weeks and have a direct comparison.

Oh boy here we go with the VR wars once more.

When one guy doesn't find it comfortable and tries to mention it not being comfortable for him, then the fires must be lit. Also for pointing out that it's not very high end.

That said PSVR isn't as expensive as the HTC Vive so if course the cheapest product is going to get the most talk or buzz, those that care for high end will talk about that side as well.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Well, there are a lot of issues with all of the first gen VR devices. Looking forward to gen 3.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I think I smell fear. He's afraid psvr could take off a lot more than the others which haven't exactly set the world alight.

I have read the thread where is the fire?