By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo what do you want? Outdated hardware? or 3rd Party games? CANT have both!

3rd-parties are interested in Nintendo when the installed base is at least 30 million. Better hardware doesn't mean automatically 3rd-party AAA support for a Nintnedo console. If the NX X1 can do Zelda: BotW but twice as much going onscreen than we should be very happy. Games dont have to look like Uncharted 4, it's boring to look at...

Around the Network

What do they want? A Hybrid system which can exist in its own market space alongside PS4/X1 and sustain itself through increased 1st party support and applications outside of games, or a powerful console competing directly against the 70-80m PS4/X1 combo? 

Hybrid Handheld/Home console > Traditional high spec Console > Weak Controller Gimmick driven console.

Nintendo knows that a Hybrid system will scare many western devs away, I think they're more concerned with having a successful system than having western 3rd party on board. I say this because people are now reducing 3rd party support to success, which is very daft (See the Wii's first year or the 3DS in general). Prior to Neo/Scorpio announcement a powerful Nintendo box was far more compelling.

Why can't you have both? Isn't that excactly what Sony and MS are doing.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

oniyide said:
its interesting to see people talk up the 3rd party support for 3ds like it was good. Maybe my expectations are too high, but IMHO its mediocore at best. I dont thinks its great when western devs all but ignore it so you're missing all those games and the Japanese games that do come are spinoffs or inferior versions of their console version

Well it has Monster Hunter, Yokai Watch, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Etrian Odyssey, Shin Megami Tensei, Bravely Default, Resident Evil, Ace Attorney, Professor Layton, Fantasy Life, Rune Factory, Project X Zone, Harvest Moon, Story of Seasons, Popolocrois, Legend of Legacy, One Piece, Dragon Ball, Inazuma Eleven, Little Battlers, Theatrythm, Attack on Titan, 7th Dragon, etc. Thats pretty solid Japanese support.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

MTZehvor said:
oniyide said:

funny cause thats what some said about Wii U and we see how that turned out. I wouldnt be surprised NX is closer to PS3 than 4. And PS2 was pretty close to GC xbox. than it was to the PS1 from the prior gen much closer. It wasnt like the PS2 missed out on a lot of games due to lack of power, something that Ninty home consoles couldnt say for the last two gens.

And Wii U's problem was not graphical power; it was barely having any releases that weren't ports for a full year or so after the initial launch in 2012. Nintendo consoles have never missed out on games for a lack of power; Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty didn't just abandon the system halfway through the Wii U's lifetime because it suddenly became less powerful. They stopped making games because they simply didn't sell well, which was due to the fact that nobody bought the system.

Another example that power means relatively little when it comes to determining who develops for what. The DS and 3DS were both far less powerful than the PSP and PS Vita, and yet both easily had more 3rd party titles and were far more successful as a whole. Power is largely only relevant when it comes to encouraging the consumer to buy the console in the first place, and if Nintendo can find some way to get around that, then developers will certainly bring games to it.

one of Wii U's problem was HW, its wasnt strong enough so that ensured it wouldnt get the games PS4 and Xone would get. No Nintendo console has ever missed games cause lack of power???? Wii says hi. 

Keep in mind that ds and 3ds were cheaper than PSP and Vita respectily, lets not act like that wasnt a factor. And sure it got more games. They are easier to develop for. Hell Wii got more games than PS3 or 360, not good games, but games.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
oniyide said:
its interesting to see people talk up the 3rd party support for 3ds like it was good. Maybe my expectations are too high, but IMHO its mediocore at best. I dont thinks its great when western devs all but ignore it so you're missing all those games and the Japanese games that do come are spinoffs or inferior versions of their console version

Well it has Monster Hunter, Yokai Watch, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Etrian Odyssey, Shin Megami Tensei, Bravely Default, Resident Evil, Ace Attorney, Professor Layton, Fantasy Life, Rune Factory, Project X Zone, Harvest Moon, Story of Seasons, Popolocrois, Legend of Legacy, One Piece, Dragon Ball, Inazuma Eleven, Little Battlers, Theatrythm, Attack on Titan, 7th Dragon, etc. Thats pretty solid Japanese support.

Solid? sure. I would say that. but 1) those games dont mean much outside of Japan. So to anyone not interested in those they would say that the system has bad support (not me) 2) even the ones that are popular outside of Japan, KH and RE. The games it did get were spinoffs, that fact alone is a turnoff for a lot of people. They want to play KH3 not KH sidestory gaiden Z. (I know that those games are good and play alot like their console versions, but most people wont care to check)

oniyide said:
MTZehvor said:

And Wii U's problem was not graphical power; it was barely having any releases that weren't ports for a full year or so after the initial launch in 2012. Nintendo consoles have never missed out on games for a lack of power; Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty didn't just abandon the system halfway through the Wii U's lifetime because it suddenly became less powerful. They stopped making games because they simply didn't sell well, which was due to the fact that nobody bought the system.

Another example that power means relatively little when it comes to determining who develops for what. The DS and 3DS were both far less powerful than the PSP and PS Vita, and yet both easily had more 3rd party titles and were far more successful as a whole. Power is largely only relevant when it comes to encouraging the consumer to buy the console in the first place, and if Nintendo can find some way to get around that, then developers will certainly bring games to it.

one of Wii U's problem was HW, its wasnt strong enough so that ensured it wouldnt get the games PS4 and Xone would get. No Nintendo console has ever missed games cause lack of power???? Wii says hi. 

Keep in mind that ds and 3ds were cheaper than PSP and Vita respectily, lets not act like that wasnt a factor. And sure it got more games. They are easier to develop for. Hell Wii got more games than PS3 or 360, not good games, but games.

Wii missed games largely because it was a nightmare to develop for. Developers would have to redesign control schemes around an entirely new controller, and that was often simply not worth it with the install base.

I never said that a Nintendo console has never missed a game due to lack of power. What I said is that, if the install base is big enough, they will get the vast majority of games, even if said games have to be scaled back as a result. Power only really factors in when a developer is iffy on bringing it to a console and they would need to spend a significant amount of time scaling things back to get them to work, as was the case with Project Cars. 

The biggest factor, by far, is how many people will buy the game. If a developer isn't relying on a console producer to publish the game, then there's very little they'll pass up on a console if they feel the sales are there, even if it needs to be significantly scaled back. This is the reason why the 360 and PS3 kept getting multiplats for a year plus after the release of the PS4 and XBO.

oniyide said:
zorg1000 said:

Solid? sure. I would say that. but 1) those games dont mean much outside of Japan. So to anyone not interested in those they would say that the system has bad support (not me) 2) even the ones that are popular outside of Japan, KH and RE. The games it did get were spinoffs, that fact alone is a turnoff for a lot of people. They want to play KH3 not KH sidestory gaiden Z. (I know that those games are good and play alot like their console versions, but most people wont care to check)

Ok so we can agree that its solid/strong support, not amazing and certainly not bad.

A similar level of support from indies and kid/family friendly games and if they can get the level of western support that Wii U had initially would give them a pretty well rounded and strong level of support.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

MTZehvor said:
oniyide said:

Wii missed games largely because it was a nightmare to develop for. Developers would have to redesign control schemes around an entirely new controller, and that was often simply not worth it with the install base.

I never said that a Nintendo console has never missed a game due to lack of power. What I said is that, if the install base is big enough, they will get the vast majority of games, even if said games have to be scaled back as a result. Power only really factors in when a developer is iffy on bringing it to a console and they would need to spend a significant amount of time scaling things back to get them to work, as was the case with Project Cars. 

The biggest factor, by far, is how many people will buy the game. If a developer isn't relying on a console producer to publish the game, then there's very little they'll pass up on a console if they feel the sales are there, even if it needs to be significantly scaled back. This is the reason why the 360 and PS3 kept getting multiplats for a year plus after the release of the PS4 and XBO.

Sure, but why ignore the fact that the Wii was a whole gen behind PS360? There were games like GTA4/5, Fallout etc that wouldnt be possible on the system different control scheme or not. Hell I would imagine the controller is the least pain in the ass in this scenario.

Wii missed a bunch of games due to lack of power and it had a big enough install base.

True, it also kept getting multiplats cause people were still buying those games on the system something that couldnt be said for Wii u.

zorg1000 said:
oniyide said:

Ok so we can agree that its solid/strong support, not amazing and certainly not bad.

A similar level of support from indies and kid/family friendly games and if they can get the level of western support that Wii U had initially would give them a pretty well rounded and strong level of support.

I dont think I said it had bad support, just not the support that some people swore by, maybe its just me but some people were making it seem like it was getting Sony home console level of support

Indies importance is a bit overstated, there are some good games, but those games are also available on just about anything else. Im not saying it would be bad for Ninty to have them. Im just saying that its not that special when you can play said games on a device you most likely already have. Not a big selling point IMHO. Western 3rds are worse as those games sell better on PS4 Xboxone PC well enough.