By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Suicide Squad Prediction: Screw the critics

Box Office Mojo just released their predictions, and basically from the sounds of it, critics do not matter afterall, it is the public audience (you guys). 

• Suicide Squad (4,255 theaters) - $145 M
  • Jason Bourne (4,040 theaters) - $27.8 M
  • Bad Moms (3,215 theaters) - $13.8 M
  • Star Trek Beyond (3,263 theaters) - $12.1 M
  • The Secret Life of Pets (3,413 theaters) - $10.6 M
  • Nine Lives (2,264 theaters) - $6.9 M
  • Ice Age: Collision Course (2,738 theaters) - $5.8 M
  • Lights Out (2,581 theaters) - $5.6 M
  • Nerve (2,538 theaters) - $4.9 M
  • Ghostbusters (2,545 theaters) - $4.9 M 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4213&p=.htm

Do you think for blockbusters need critics to care, or the general public to just not think you are producing a bad mess (See Ghostbusters as example)? What do you guys think it will do in the long run. 140 Million is my guess with 60-65 Million second week. I'm thinking nearing $270,000-$300,000 million domestically.

Is Ace crazy, and which side is he on?

Around the Network

just look at BvS opening vs its overall sales, its clear that the fact that it was a shitty movie hurt its long term success at the box office and overall run

If this movie is as bad as the critics say it is, expect its legs to be shorter than what the opening weekend would suggest. I'm hoping it does well, but the reviews do not bode well for the DCEU.  It can only coast on The Dark Knight's success for so long.

Word of mouth is more important for movies but that only affects it after the first days so that even word of mouth doesn't affect the most important days that much. So, if people will tell their friends not to see it, the legs will be bad (% wise compared to first weekend). If people will like it the legs will be probably decent but first weekend numbers will be good regardless of what people who saw it will say.

Important is if people liked the trailers and other marketing before release and most liked the trailers. They were really good, the music in the trailers did a great job as well.

I think that was also a reason why Deadpool started already decent even with almost nobody knowing him before. The marketing before release was something many people really liked. It caught their attention and interest so that they went to the cinema. 

You needed confirmation that critics don't matter after 4 Transformers movies and 7 Fast and Furious movies?

Critics only matter with really good movies or really bad ones.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Criticsal reception won't affect its opening weekend gross. We will see how WOM will affect it's gross starting monday until next weekend.

You guys really should wish for better movies, not just successes for crappy renditions of the worlds you love. The comic book genre is glutted and there's no way it will sustain itself with mediocrity. Just be happy that Disney and Marvel actually know how to handle these IPs.

Ehh, i'd say otherwise, Transformers age of extinction is one of the worst big budget films of 2014, if not the very worst of all the 2010's, yet it grossed over a billion. Box Office is meaningless when it comes to measuring the quality of a film.

In any case, critics shouldn't matter, their job is to nitpick.

Critic reviews do matter to a point, but for big blockbuster movies the opening weekends will generally be big regardless. However, I never understood the hate on critics. These people love movies just like anyone else (if not more, since it is literally their job). Most don't go into a movie looking to hate it. They just give their honest opinion. The general consensus is that this movie is not good. Given Man of Steel and BvS, I'm inclined to believe them.

super_etecoon said:
You guys really should wish for better movies, not just successes for crappy renditions of the worlds you love. The comic book genre is glutted and there's no way it will sustain itself with mediocrity. Just be happy that Disney and Marvel actually know how to handle these IPs.

Is Suicide Squad really as bad as the critics say it is? Everything I've read from people who have seen it suggests no. 

BvS had relatively fair criticisms but at the end of the day, I still don't think it was as terrible as critics said. 

I agree, I don't want crappy movies either... But I do want to see my favorite comic and superhero characters on the big screen. To be fair, Disney/Marvel has done superb but let's not act as if all of their movies are gold because they aren't. There are a few turds mixed in with the gems make no doubt... It's just crappy that WB/DC are the ones having to learn things the hard way at OUR expense. 

They still have Wonder Woman coming up in 300 days and if that movie fails to inspire, then the DCEU can be considered a failure as well considering it'll be movie #4. And at that point they'll need to ask: reboot or step away from the comic movie realm altogether?