By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 shortage coming in Japan. Wider implications?

Tagged games:

http://i.imgur.com/wOWwqrp.jpg

Many retailers warning of an incoming shortage of supply.  It suggests Sony is clearing stock for a new model.  Chances are this new model will be released worldwide and not just Japan.  

It's likely they will clear stock in August and launch the new model in September. 

What could it be?  

1. New ps4 base model?  A version that looks the same but is cheaper to produce and more reliable. Possibly come with a price cut. 

2. Ps4 slim. Possibly come with a price cut 

3. Ps4 neo.  Possible price cut for base ps4

4. Maybe a genuine shortage.  Sony can't keep up. 

Your thoughts? 

Around the Network

We already had this thread and concluded that there'll be a mass vacation period in late summer for Chinese children.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

PS4 Slim just to counter X1 Slim. It's all about hardware in this generation for some reason. Funny enough that the consoles are the weakest ever. =D

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

PS4 slim + PS4 Neo.

So they re discontinueing the older models probably.

i read, that AMD ported some 20nm pnalar desings to tsmc 16nm ff
and we all know, that the xbox one durango chip was tested and shrinked to 20nm.
did we ever read something about this for the ps4?

if they go the neo route, i think they will just continue the normal ps4 without any menaningful enhancements as the cheap entry point. so not even a die shrink...
option 3 seems the most likely

i also do think, that the release in japan could be a few weeks earlier, because you don't need a month to ship from china to japan.

Around the Network

I think it's number 3. The jrpgs are coming in thick and fast, with World of Final Fantasy and FFXV not far off. I can see how the current supply based on sales since launch won't be enough for the incoming spikes for when these games release.

I don't think Sony can make their console smaller without removing the power brick. Even the X1S with a smaller chip struggles beating the overall size of the PS4.

I can see a price cut along with a Neo launch in September. Base model being $250 for 500GB and Neo being $399 for a 1TB model.

OdinHades said:
PS4 Slim just to counter X1 Slim. It's all about hardware in this generation for some reason. Funny enough that the consoles are the weakest ever. =D

So you think they just planned the slim after Microsoft announced theirs?  I think Sony always planned a slim regardless of Microsoft doing it.  

And the huge number of games I've played must be an illusion?  My ps4 hardware just sits there.  You might think it's the weakest but I think the ps4 was a really good upgrade on the ps3 with some awesome looking and playing software.  

I'll go with 2.

Didn't an analyst said that he heard about a PS4 Slim announcement at TGS? He also said that it will be different from PS4 Neo so i guess it's like Xbone S.

I am pretty confident that my call for a PS4Slim was heard... and of course Neo is coming

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

PS4 Neo Hype!!!