By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I believe Apple should buy Nintendo.

To be honest the screen resolution stuff is overblown too ... the iPhone 6S with 1080P on a 5.5 inch screen is a ton of freaking pixels per inch for a display that small. Yes the Galaxy and some Android phones have 1440P, but it's not as if the iPhone display isn't gorgeous still and the iPhone 7 will likely have a resolution bump too, the Galaxy is on a upgrade cycle curve that is usually 6-8 months ahead of new iPhone models because they need that extra time ahead of Apple.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
To be honest the screen resolution stuff is overblown too ... the iPhone 6S with 1080P on a 5.5 inch screen is a ton of freaking pixels per inch for a display that small. Yes the Galaxy and some Android phones have 1440P, but it's not as if the iPhone display isn't gorgeous still and the iPhone 7 will likely have a resolution bump too, the Galaxy is on a upgrade cycle curve that is usually 6-8 months ahead of new iPhone models because they need that extra time ahead of Apple.

I think it has more to do with supply. You can't switch to OLED displays and not make sure you have enough supply. I remember reading somewhere that Jon Ive praised OLED displays and mentioned that LCD is considered old-tech at this point. Either way, I love my iPhone 6s display. No complaints. iPads are constantly praised for having the best displays on tablets. The "inferiority" when compared to the SAM S7 is there, but it's not a deal breaker.

Apple will need to bump the resolution of their displays for VR/AR. They are investing in both, I expect that to happen in 2017 though, not this year. I also expect the smart connector to make it to the iPhone line up in 2017, which will open up a world of new accessories that make the iPhone more useful. Look up reviews of Moto Z to get what I mean.

This year's iPhone will underwhelm.

LurkerJ said:

I disagree, I am certainly happier with my premium iPhone than I was with my premium Samsung.

We aren't talking about individual user happiness here. We are talking about the technical merits of a platform...  But I will bite.

For every person who is happy with their iOS device, there are probably 10 others on Android due to how much larger the Android ecosystem is, it's a simple numbers game. ;)

LurkerJ said:
99% of Android phones released with SD 810 had embarrassing issues with heating up and throttling, were buyers getting good value for their money? Not to mention, they were getting a much inferior GPU, but let's not mention those facts.

You assume that every Android device used the Snap Dragon 810 chip.

And yes, it was a poor chip, I can give criticism where criticism is actually due.

LurkerJ said:

Let's pretend that only iPhone users get the shortest end of the stick in every scenario and there is nothing superior about the iPhone experience.

I have provided praise for iOS devices in multiple aspects where they are indeed superior to it's competitors, perhaps you are blowing this out of proportion?

LurkerJ said:

Who are these people? Fanboys on the internet? 

Millions of people in the real world were holding off buying an iPhone, until they got iPhones with bigger screens. Talk is cheap, voting with money matters.

Just look at this graph and keep in mind that iPhone 6 was released in late 2014.

and guess what? I am one of those millions.

and seriously, this argument is silly, bringing up "people on the internet" to make a point? lol

People also said Touch ID is a gimmick, look we are now. But I am above bringing up those silly people to make a point.

My evidence is a little more ancedotal.

And we both know that the best selling device isn't necessarily always the best.

LurkerJ said:

Ok. So every reviewer on the internet is kidding themselves and the iPhone screen is terrible compared to other flagships.

I really don't care about the numbers you are throwing because I know them, and acknowledged them, and they don't mean much in the real world to a lot of people.

So now that I have proven that their screens are inferior on a technical basis, you just brush it away? Sure. Alright... haha

Android Screens in High-end Devices are simply superior and often not just in regards to resolution either, often they have better blacks, whites, higher gamut, higher brightness, better colour. etc'.
And that means you do get a better screen than what just the resolution implies.

LurkerJ said:

Galaxy Zoom and Lumia 1020 were designed for that purpose, a purpose that doesn't seem enticing to consumers, both phones are discontinued and got no "sequels"

I am comparing the iPhone to the other top selling premium phones. Not some discontinued niche products, and yes, that includes Sony Xperia phones. The iphone camera has been among the best since the iPhone 4s.

Even the other flagships made by the same companies that made those niche products couldn't compete with their own camera-focused line up, were they being cheap and their users were not getting good value for their money then? Hardly. 

You know better than bringing megapixles into the discussion, but I think you realized you were wrong so you are just throwing names and numbers.

The fact still remains (And for the love of God, stop shifting the damn goal post) that the iPhone's camera is inferior relative to the competition, regardless of how much they sold.
That fact doesn't change whether the Lumia 1020 only sold 1 phone or a billion.

And I do know that there are more to Camera's than sheer megapixels, such as aperture size, various features like image stabilization... You name it.

But if you can name an iPhone which had the *best* camera on the market bar-none, after the Lumia 1020's release, I will drop this point of argument.

LurkerJ said:

Browser tabs refreshing is a problem I ran into with my first iPhone, iPhone 6, no denying that. It wasn't a big issue to me and it's certainly not something I run into now with my 6s. So I'll give you this one

It can still occur on the 6s, but with 2Gb it's going to be far more rare untill iOS and Apps get more demanding or you simply run more, 2016 was better late then never for Apple to finally do such a vital upgrade, huh?

Oppo is on the right track with 6Gb or more.

LurkerJ said:

Lol. Everything you brought up and held it against the iPhone was because you wanted your device to behave in a certain way, and now you are telling me I am not getting good value for my money. I, on the other hand, was just trying to bring balance to the discussion. And giving examples on how Android users got the shorter end of the stick with the CPU, GPU, not having touch ID for a good long while, non-existent long term software support. I will never tell them "you are not getting good value for your money" because non of that may matter to them.

iPhone does have an impressive SoC.

Apple was also NOT the first phone to have a Fingerprint Scanner with it's Touch ID branded tech.
The Motorola Atrix released in 2011 beat Apple by several years.

I also had a laptop powered by the Pentium M over a decade ago with a "Touch ID" like fingerprint scanner, it's not a new technology by any stretch.
I will concede that Apple was the first company to make a decent implementation with mass market appeal.

I also touched upon iOS having superior updates and software support, not sure why you brought that up? You are only agreeing with me.

From a hardware perspective though, the fact remains you get more value for money with Android devices, bigger screens, larger battery's, better screens, various hardware features like touch-screen pens, optical camera zoom, replaceable batteries, MicroSD, USB, Dual-SIM and more.

Lastly... For the love of God, please use quotes properly, it will make replying easier.

Soundwave said:

There is more to the Androids having superior screens than just the resolution though.
Better Blacks, Whites, Colour, Brightness, Contrast, Response time, Gamut... Android typically beats the iPhone in more than just the sheer resolution numbers game...

The great thing with Android is that it also essentially competes with itself, meaning that manufacturers will constantly try to "One up" each other in the hardware stakes, the downside to this of course is also hardware fragmentation that software developers need to be mindful of.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
LurkerJ said:

I disagree, I am certainly happier with my premium iPhone than I was with my premium Samsung.

We aren't talking about individual user happiness here. We are talking about the technical merits of a platform...  But I will bite.

For every person who is happy with their iOS device, there are probably 10 others on Android due to how much larger the Android ecosystem is, it's a simple numbers game. ;)

LurkerJ said:
99% of Android phones released with SD 810 had embarrassing issues with heating up and throttling, were buyers getting good value for their money? Not to mention, they were getting a much inferior GPU, but let's not mention those facts.

You assume that every Android device used the Snap Dragon 810 chip.

And yes, it was a poor chip, I can give criticism where criticism is actually due.

LurkerJ said:

Let's pretend that only iPhone users get the shortest end of the stick in every scenario and there is nothing superior about the iPhone experience.

I have provided praise for iOS devices in multiple aspects where they are indeed superior to it's competitors, perhaps you are blowing this out of proportion?

So we don't disgaree so far.

My evidence is a little more ancedotal.

And we both know that the best selling device isn't necessarily always the best.

I never said so. I said people actually cared enough about the size of the iPhone screen and held off buying one until Apple conceded.

So now that I have proven that their screens are inferior on a technical basis, you just brush it away? Sure. Alright... haha

Android Screens in High-end Devices are simply superior and often not just in regards to resolution either, often they have better blacks, whites, higher gamut, higher brightness, better colour. etc'.
And that means you do get a better screen than what just the resolution implies.

Proven what? I admitted Samsung have the best displays on the market, I always do. I am just saying calling the iPhone screen "horrible" isn't fair either. 

The fact still remains (And for the love of God, stop shifting the damn goal post) that the iPhone's camera is inferior relative to the competition, regardless of how much they sold.
That fact doesn't change whether the Lumia 1020 only sold 1 phone or a billion.

And I do know that there are more to Camera's than sheer megapixels, such as aperture size, various features like image stabilization... You name it.

But if you can name an iPhone which had the *best* camera on the market bar-none, after the Lumia 1020's release, I will drop this point of argument.

I never said best, I said among the best, and in many years, they got the "best camera on a smartphone" badge. No device in the market competes with Lumia 1020 and similar camera-focused smartphones, why is it only Apple's problem that they are not aiming for similar monsterous cameras? I don't get it. If you say Apple users are getting bad cameras because iPhone cameras don't match the 1020, then every other smartphone buyer is a victim too. It's not a problem that is exclusive to iPhone users going by your logic.

It can still occur on the 6s, but with 2Gb it's going to be far more rare untill iOS and Apps get more demanding or you simply run more, 2016 was better late then never for Apple to finally do such a vital upgrade, huh?

Oppo is on the right track with 6Gb or more.

As I said, the only problem I ever encoutered thanks to RAM limitations was Safari tabs needing to refresh. I  am not sure that was a problem either, it refreshes too fast for me to care

iPhone does have an impressive SoC. 

Apple was also NOT the first phone to have a Fingerprint Scanner with it's Touch ID branded tech.
The Motorola Atrix released in 2011 beat Apple by several years.

I also had a laptop powered by the Pentium M over a decade ago with a "Touch ID" like fingerprint scanner, it's not a new technology by any stretch.
I will concede that Apple was the first company to make a decent implementation with mass market appeal.

I never said fingerprint scanners were invented by Apple, nor were touchscreens , they both existed long ago. Why is that relevant again? 

I also touched upon iOS having superior updates and software support, not sure why you brought that up? You are only agreeing with me.

Cool.

From a hardware perspective though, the fact remains you get more value for money with Android devices, bigger screens, larger battery's, better screens, various hardware features like touch-screen pens, optical camera zoom, replaceable batteries, MicroSD, USB, Dual-SIM and more.

Nope, that's not a fact. Only if you ignore the better CPU, GPU, 3D touch screens, Touch ID, and a much much faster storage solution. And you honestly can't just isolate the hardware from the software, the software is just as valuable. It's the reason why I switched to iPhones after all. See? it's easy to throw lists. 

Lastly... For the love of God, please use quotes properly, it will make replying easier.

I hate this website, it sucks on mobile

Soundwave said:

There is more to the Androids having superior screens than just the resolution though.
Better Blacks, Whites, Colour, Brightness, Contrast, Response time, Gamut... Android typically beats the iPhone in more than just the sheer resolution numbers game...

The great thing with Android is that it also essentially competes with itself, meaning that manufacturers will constantly try to "One up" each other in the hardware stakes, the downside to this of course is also hardware fragmentation that software developers need to be mindful of.

Wth all the positives of having a varied line-up of devices from different manufactueres, to me, Android hardware options remain as anemic as those of iOS.

I want a device that is bloat-free, will be supported with the latest updates without me having to check some list on some blog to find out if my premium smartphone will get an update or not. That leaves me with the Nexus line-up. The 5X is very average, I did consider buying the 6P at some point but the screen is too huge for my taste and hands. 

Nintendo own 32% Pokemon Company, they also own trademark of all pokemon names and all Pokemon games as well, any game be made under Pokemon name need agreement from Nintendo, say Nintendo have nothing to do with Pokemon are same as ask Pokemon come to ps4 lol

Around the Network

Buying? Hell.... no

if anyone is gonna buy Nintendo, it will be Disney. Im not saying thats a good thing but still.

Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!

Unless Apple wants to enter the home console market (which they should), I wouldn't want that.

The only interesting thing left about Nintendo is its ability to still make console quality titles.

Arminillo said:
if anyone is gonna buy Nintendo, it will be Disney. Im not saying thats a good thing but still.

I doubt it. They have very little interest in the gaming industry.

KLXVER said:
Arminillo said:

I doubt it. They have very little interest in the gaming industry.

But they have interest in evergreen property, and i would think they could make good money off of pokemon, mario, and zelda licensing.

EDIT: its not like they were interested in comic books when they bought Marvel.

Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!