By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The NFL Thread 2016: New England Patriots Win Super Bowl LI

Who will win Super Bowl LI?

New England Patriots 51 47.66%

Kansas City Chiefs 3 2.80%

Pittsburgh Steelers 6 5.61%

Other (AFC) 3 2.80%

Dallas Cowboys 10 9.35%

Atlanta Falcons 15 14.02%

Seattle Seahawks 5 4.67%

Green Bay Packers 5 4.67%

Other (NFC) 4 3.74%

Scoreboard 5 4.67%

Total:107

Welp, gonna go ahead and say right now that if the Patriots beat the Cardinals in Week 1, it's going to have to be a low scoring game. Our offensive line looks terrible and Garoppolo (still getting used to spelling that) did not look good at all. He panicked very quickly and that led to some really bad decisions.

Defense was quite good, though, so it's not out of the realm of possibility...but not liking the odds.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Now I have no doubts that the Packers will play in Super Bowl LI. They beat the 49ers 21-10 while controlling the game. Rodgers played this time, showing a rock solid performance (6/9 for 60 yards and a TD pass) on his two drives. The Packers defense once again proved that it is in great shape, making life really hard for a QB who played in a Super Bowl.

Not to mention, against the NFL's best revolutionary trailblazer coach who doesn't even need stars to make a successful team

Welp turns out that hit Romo took was something after all, he has a broken bone in his back. Smh, Romo just retire dude, your body can't handle the physicality of the NFL anymore

NobleTeam360 said:

Welp turns out that hit Romo took was something after all, he has a broken bone in his back. Smh, Romo just retire dude, your body can't handle the physicality of the NFL anymore

Tbh, you Cowboys fans should actually be ecstatic about this. I mean Romo was always gonna go down sooner or later....at least now your new rookie "backup" (soon to be known as Tony "wheelchair" Romo's replacement) can get a lot more experience under his belt more quickly. You should write the Seahawks a thank you letter

man... maybe I should change the my pick for draft team to the Bears. How pathetic.

Around the Network

Cruel but.... true ;-(

Can anyone do me the favor of explaining why exactly some analysts think the Jaguars are going to be anything but hot garbage again this year? Is it the stats they manage to wrack up due to garbage time starting halfway through the first quarter? Or do they genuinely just mistake Blake Bortles for Ben Rapistburger?

#1 #2 #3 #4
AFC East Patriots
Jets
Bills
Dolphins
AFC North  Bengals  Steelers Ravens
Browns
AFC South Texans Titans
Colts
Jaguars
AFC West Chiefs
Raiders
Broncos
Chargers
NFC East  Cowboys Iggles
Redskins
Lil' Giants
NFC North Packers
Vikings
Bears
Lions
NFC South Panthers
Saints
Bucs
Falcons
NFC West  Seahawks Cardinals
Rams
49ers
#1 Draft Pick Lions - - -
AFC Playoff Teams 1-4  Bengals Patriots
Chiefs
Texans
AFC Playoff Teams 5-6  Steelers Raiders
- -
NFC Playoff Teams 1-4 Seahawks
Packers
Panthers
Cowgals
NFC Playoff Teams 5-6 Cardinals
Vikings
- -
AFC Divisional Playoffs Bengals
Patriots
Chefs?
Steelers
NFC Divisional Playoffs Seahawks Packers
 Cardinals Vikings
AFC Championship Game Patriots
 Steelers - -
NFC Championship Game Seahawks Cardinals
- -
Super Bowl LI Seahawks  Steelers - -
Super Bowl Winner  Ugh - - -

RolStoppable said:
noname2200 said:
Can anyone do me the favor of explaining why exactly some analysts think the Jaguars are going to be anything but hot garbage again this year? Is it the stats they manage to wrack up due to garbage time starting halfway through the first quarter? Or do they genuinely just mistake Blake Bortles for Ben Rapistburger?

I guess you could be misremembering last season. You seem to think that the Jaguars offense was all about garbage time, but it was actually competitive in a few of the games the team lost. Those losses were explained by the team having so many young players and thus being too inexperienced to close out games. Bortles and his WR1 and WR2 put up pretty good numbers, and the Jaguars still play in the AFC South where all teams are question marks in one way or another.

I still haven't read up on drafts/trades, so maybe Bortles will have different receivers this year. But if he has the same, I would feel inclined to put them at #2 in the AFC South in my bracket.

It might just be the games I watched, but he wasn't particularly impressive until the game was wrapping up and his team was down two scores. There was an article I read (paywalled, unfortunately) pointing out that about a fifth of his pass attempts, a fifth of his yardage, and a quarter of his touchdowns came in the final five minutes of the game with his team down by two scores or more. The final results may have been close, but I strongly suspect opposing teams were often playing Prevent Defense more often for him than for many others. I concede though that "garbage time" was probably not the best word to use.

Now, you're right that the team was young, so maybe the team improves. I just wonder if they'll have what it takes to become decent, since the franchise hardly has a history of success. Also, Florida teams tend to default to "Crappy," soooo....

RolStoppable said:
noname2200 said:

It might just be the games I watched, but he wasn't particularly impressive until the game was wrapping up and his team was down two scores. There was an article I read (paywalled, unfortunately) pointing out that about a fifth of his pass attempts, a fifth of his yardage, and a quarter of his touchdowns came in the final five minutes of the game with his team down by two scores or more. The final results may have been close, but I strongly suspect opposing teams were often playing Prevent Defense more often for him than for many others. I concede though that "garbage time" was probably not the best word to use.

Now, you're right that the team was young, so maybe the team improves. I just wonder if they'll have what it takes to become decent, since the franchise hardly has a history of success. Also, Florida teams tend to default to "Crappy," soooo....

Let me try again. When I said that they failed to close out games, I meant that they lost games that they should have won. I was talking about games where the Jaguars were in the lead and then ended up losing.

An example that works for this is the London game they had against the Bills. The Jaguars were up by three scores at one point, but then the offense and defense couldn't pull off what was necessary to play it home. In the end they still won the game because of a bad penalty call or a bad non-call (either way, the refs messed up), but they weren't that lucky in a few other games.

Of course they got slaughtered in a few of their losses too, but more experience in how to win a football game could have earned them a better record. Last year they didn't look like the usual Jaguars who win three or four games in the whole season if the stars align for them. They were a good bit better, so what I think the analysts are banking on is that the team can take the next step this year. Win more of the winnable games which might be good enough in the abysmal AFC South.

Hmm, might just be the sample size of the games I saw then. I don't exactly make a habit of seeking out Jags games. And it's true the South is weak. Also, the AFC South sucks.