By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Third-party games on WiiU - were they worth it?

Well, were they?

Definitively. Enough awes... 13 8.50%

Yeah. Should have been more, though. 36 23.53%

Yes. Very little, but there they are. 31 20.26%

I don't really know. 2 1.31%

I don't play third-party... 5 3.27%

I don't play these, Nint... 5 3.27%

No, there were some good ... 35 22.88%

No, I can't think of anything good, really. 15 9.80%

No, I dislike whatever li... 3 1.96%

Would you kindly show me the answers? 8 5.23%

Total:153

YES! love it!

Switch!!!

Around the Network

"rivalizes" ???

the_dark_lewd said:
"rivalizes" ???

rivalize

intransitive verb ri·val·ize ˈrīvəˌlīz

to act as a rival <her urge to rivalize with menfolk in the things of the mind — Frank Budgen>

I got a lot of second-party games like Bayo 2, TW101, and TMS #FE. I enjoyed all of those a great deal. Third party, I got Tekken, One Piece Unlimited World Red, Resident Evil Revelations, and Deus Ex. I'd kind of like to get Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, it's just been back-burnered for awhile. Plus a lot of indie stuff on the Wii U eshop like Shantae.

My Wii U has actually done a pretty good job of keeping me entertained, so I'd say it was worth it even without a huge third party library. I hate Activision, Ubisoft, and EA and don't buy anything from them even on my PS4, so I couldn't care less about those three companies personally beyond their popcorn franchises bolstering a console's library for other game. Most of my third party PS4 content came from Square Enix, Namco, Koei Tecmo, Sega, and Capcom, along with stuff like Fallout 4, Mortal Kombat X, and Guilty Gear Xrd.

I personally want to know who bought the single copy of Bayonetta 2? ;)

Around the Network

I decided not to buy some games on the WiiU but on my PS3 because there is no trophy/achievement system on the WiiU so I ended up just buying Nintendo Games

Twitter @CyberMalistix

GhaudePhaede010 said:
RolStoppable said:

Second party describes first party games that are made by an independent studio (a third party). Why is it a problem that you enjoy Nintendo games?

A game published by a company and a game developed by a company are not the same thing. I know you know this. You are just trying to argue. But still, a game that is published by Nintendo is not necessarily a title developed by Nintendo. If a game is developed by a noteablethird party, then it can be said it is a third party title even though Nintendo published it.

Also, if you can call the Tokoyo Mirage game, which you noted is co-owned by Nintendo, a Nintendo title, then others can call it an Atlus title since it is co-owned by Atlus; especially since it was developed by Atlus and not Nintendo.

But we have a term for games that are published by a console manufacturer but not developed by the console manufacturer. It's used throughout this thread. They're called second party games. I Tokoyo Mirage is a second party game. Not a first party or third party game. The same goes for Wonderful 101, Fatal Frame, Bayonetta 2, etc.

potato_hamster said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

A game published by a company and a game developed by a company are not the same thing. I know you know this. You are just trying to argue. But still, a game that is published by Nintendo is not necessarily a title developed by Nintendo. If a game is developed by a noteablethird party, then it can be said it is a third party title even though Nintendo published it.

Also, if you can call the Tokoyo Mirage game, which you noted is co-owned by Nintendo, a Nintendo title, then others can call it an Atlus title since it is co-owned by Atlus; especially since it was developed by Atlus and not Nintendo.

But we have a term for games that are published by a console manufacturer but not developed by the console manufacturer. It's used throughout this thread. They're called second party games. I Tokoyo Mirage is a second party game. Not a first party or third party game. The same goes for Wonderful 101, Fatal Frame, Bayonetta 2, etc.

Semantics aside, we agree. I am not and was not trying to dispute this fact.

Semantics included I hate the way the term, "second-party" has evolved. I know this rant has nothing to do with our conversation but I have held this in for a while so here goes. A, second-party title used to be a title developed by a company owned (either majority or minority) by the parent company in question. For example, Silicon Knights developed a game for Gamecube called Eternal Darkness. Silicon Knights and the game Eternal Darkness were considered second-party not because Nintendo published the title, but because the company that developed the title was partially owned by NIntendo.

SquareEnix once developed a title called Mario Sports Mix. It was also published by Nintendo but at that time, you would have been called insane and laughed off the internet if you would have called SquareEnix a second-party Nintendo developer or that title a second-party Nintendo title. It was considered a third-party title that NIntendo published. Obviously, times have changed but this development has thoroughly bothered me over the last few years.

Back to the topic at hand. I said nothing to disagree with what you are saying. What I was saying was that not all Nintendo titles are created equally. As well, a game that is co-owned ,by a company deserves to be as much one company's title as the other. I mean co-owned literally means neither company has more stake than the other so to call it one company's game over the other in an equal partnership is very... loose. You may do that but, you must accept that someone else may see it the other way because that is only fair.

Also, there is a difference between a game developed by Nintendo and one published by Nintendo; usually in quality. But semantics aside, I still agree with what you have said.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

GhaudePhaede010 said:
potato_hamster said:

Semantics included I hate the way the term, "second-party" has evolved. I know this rant has nothing to do with our conversation but I have held this in for a while so here goes. A, second-party title used to be a title developed by a company owned (either majority or minority) by the parent company in question. For example, Silicon Knights developed a game for Gamecube called Eternal Darkness. Silicon Knights and the game Eternal Darkness were considered second-party not because Nintendo published the title, but because the company that developed the title was partially owned by NIntendo.

SquareEnix once developed a title called Mario Sports Mix. It was also published by Nintendo but at that time, you would have been called insane and laughed off the internet if you would have called SquareEnix a second-party Nintendo developer or that title a second-party Nintendo title. It was considered a third-party title that NIntendo published. Obviously, times have changed but this development has thoroughly bothered me over the last few years.

Back to the topic at hand. I said nothing to disagree with what you are saying. What I was saying was that not all Nintendo titles are created equally. As well, a game that is co-owned ,by a company deserves to be as much one company's title as the other. I mean co-owned literally means neither company has more stake than the other so to call it one company's game over the other in an equal partnership is very... loose. You may do that but, you must accept that someone else may see it the other way because that is only fair.

Also, there is a difference between a game developed by Nintendo and one published by Nintendo; usually in quality. But semantics aside, I still agree with what you have said.

Very well reason, solid points made. I agree with you as well that the term "second party" has evolved. That got me thinking about Pokemon. How does that fit into things? To me that's a second party game, how do you see that?

potato_hamster said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

Very well reason, solid points made. I agree with you as well that the term "second party" has evolved. That got me thinking about Pokemon. How does that fit into things? To me that's a second party game, how do you see that?

I do not know. I thought Nintendo owned at least partial stock in Gamefreak. Honestly, I never talk about Pokemon other than in Smash so I do not know the business side of things. However, Pokemon may very well be why the term, "second-party" has evolved since nobody could accurately describe the business partnership between Nintendo and Gamefreak.

Admittedly, I just tried to google the situation because I am not versed on the business of Pokemon since I am not a very big Pokemon fan (like I said, other than Smash, Pokemon is not a franchise I play or care about) but I was unable to find out anything other than Nintendo owning a third of Pokemon (the franchise). I was unable to find out anything about their business relationship with Gamefreak. A funny grey area. But today, you would be insane to call Gamefreak and the Pokemon titles anything other than second party so I guess it was beneficial in some ways to evolve the term.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000