By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Eurogamer full of Bollocks?

Random_Matt said:
Seems like you and Super Metal Dave are just upset to me.

upset? I like the hybrid concept, this is about the tegra chip, I don't think that Nintendo is going to use a tegra chip with no custom design.

Around the Network

This leak came 16 months away from 3DS's launch, and two years away from Vita's eventual launch, so there was a much bigger margin for error. Plus, in the time since EG have broken their NX story, other websites (as varied as the Wall Street Journal, Nintendo Life and the UK based, trade focused MCV) have all claimed that their own sources corroborate what Eurogamer are saying.

Besides, there are valid reasons as to why Nintendo would go with a Tegra powered hybrid device. It allows them to use existing technology and components, fulfilling the lateral thinking with withered technology mantra often though not always employed in their hardware. Secondly, it would allow Nintendo to focus most of their development resources on one system, allowing their development partners to do the same, theoretically (and I stress that) eliminating the development bottlenecks and software droughts that have so damaged their system. Thirdly, it means Nintendo are hunkering down more on their core markets: Japan, families, and portable console players, rather than fighting it out in the home console space dominated by Sony, Microsoft and Western publishers that have never had a meaningful presence on a Nintendo device. By extension, the lack of a replacement for Vita and the dilemma faced by Japanese publishers--who, as Vita and 3DS die out, have no middle ground between mobile and expensive home console development--suggests to me Nintendo listened more to what Sega, Atlus, Namco, Capcom etc had to say than they did EA or Activision.

I think NX has the potential to sell similar numbers to 3DS, but with higher software and digital sales, resulting in a higher margin business for Nintendo. However, I definitely think there are obvious problems and risks, not least pricing, branding and clearly communicating their devices, all three issues which hamstrung 3DS and helped to sink Wii U. There's also form factor, battery life and memory storage to think about. In the last case I think Nintendo might sidestep it by keeping a chunk of solid state memory in the portable (perhaps as much as 128GB), whilst keeping an SDHC/XC slot in the device to allow you to expand the memory. They could then include either more memory (perhaps a 500GB or 1TB HDD) in the TV docking unit, as well as either USB or SD card slots to allow for expandable memory without falling into the trap of proprietary memory.

Whether or not the market exists for a hybrid device remains up in the air until after NX is on the market. If the price is good, the software line up consistent, the branding clear, the functionality both clearly communicated and well executed, and the marketing vibrant and visibile, then they may have a successful idea on their hands. That's a lot of factors to get right, though.

That's why I don't bother with rumors. I'll keep on waiting.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Asriel said:
This leak came 16 months away from 3DS's launch, and two years away from Vita's eventual launch, so there was a much bigger margin for error. Plus, in the time since EG have broken their NX story, other websites (as varied as the Wall Street Journal, Nintendo Life and the UK based, trade focused MCV) have all claimed that their own sources corroborate what Eurogamer are saying.

Besides, there are valid reasons as to why Nintendo would go with a Tegra powered hybrid device. It allows them to use existing technology and components, fulfilling the lateral thinking with withered technology mantra often though not always employed in their hardware. Secondly, it would allow Nintendo to focus most of their development resources on one system, allowing their development partners to do the same, theoretically (and I stress that) eliminating the development bottlenecks and software droughts that have so damaged their system. Thirdly, it means Nintendo are hunkering down more on their core markets: Japan, families, and portable console players, rather than fighting it out in the home console space dominated by Sony, Microsoft and Western publishers that have never had a meaningful presence on a Nintendo device. By extension, the lack of a replacement for Vita and the dilemma faced by Japanese publishers--who, as Vita and 3DS die out, have no middle ground between mobile and expensive home console development--suggests to me Nintendo listened more to what Sega, Atlus, Namco, Capcom etc had to say than they did EA or Activision.

I think NX has the potential to sell similar numbers to 3DS, but with higher software and digital sales, resulting in a higher margin business for Nintendo. However, I definitely think there are obvious problems and risks, not least pricing, branding and clearly communicating their devices, all three issues which hamstrung 3DS and helped to sink Wii U. There's also form factor, battery life and memory storage to think about. In the last case I think Nintendo might sidestep it by keeping a chunk of solid state memory in the portable (perhaps as much as 128GB), whilst keeping an SDHC/XC slot in the device to allow you to expand the memory. They could then include either more memory (perhaps a 500GB or 1TB HDD) in the TV docking unit, as well as either USB or SD card slots to allow for expandable memory without falling into the trap of proprietary memory.

Whether or not the market exists for a hybrid device remains up in the air until after NX is on the market. If the price is good, the software line up consistent, the branding clear, the functionality both clearly communicated and well executed, and the marketing vibrant and visibile, then they may have a successful idea on their hands. That's a lot of factors to get right, though.

That right there, good points. I think the idea itself has potential to be awesome. And all those things mentioned are probably key for it to succeed. I just hope that the power is higher than the X1 chip. 

Hiku said:

Though it's still not a custom design, NVIDIA will reveal a new Tegra chip in August though. Perhaps Nintendo will use that one.

As for Eurogamer's credibility with these type of things, they've had a pretty good track record lately. A lot can change within a company in 7 years. They may have relied more on clickbait in the past, or had a lower standard of what they consider credible sources, etc. Today they may value their reputation more.

The Wall Street Journal also backed up Eurogamer's info on this yesterday.

WSJ didn't back them up they just reported on the article otherwise you're essentially saying they backed up other rumours in the past like the one on NX being more powerful than the current gens.

Around the Network
onionberry said:
Random_Matt said:
Seems like you and Super Metal Dave are just upset to me.

upset? I like the hybrid concept, this is about the tegra chip, I don't think that Nintendo is going to use a tegra chip with no custom design.

Hope it's X2, i would consider it if that is the case. Or something entirely better than a mobile chip.

Hiku said:
onionberry said:

Though it's still not a custom design, NVIDIA will reveal a new Tegra chip in August though. Perhaps Nintendo will use that one.

As for Eurogamer's credibility with these type of things, they've had a pretty good track record lately. A lot can change within a company in 7 years. They may have relied more on clickbait in the past, or had a lower standard of what they consider credible sources, etc. Today they may value their reputation more.

The Wall Street Journal also backed up Eurogamer's info on this yesterday.

A new tegra chip is going to be expensive though, how much will people pay. Remember the 3DS launch price.

Eurogamer is one of the few legit Gaming sites left in the world. Ill take their word for it.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Eurogamer got the Vita/PSP2 correct (Imagination PowerVR), also I believe Nvidia actually was going to do the 3DS chip, the deal fell through very late in the development process and Nintendo chose Pica200 from out of the left field.

Besides it's not just Eurogamer reporting this, it's now IGN, MCV, Wall Street Journal, and others who have said they have verified it with their own sources.

This is basically like the PS4 Neo and Scorpio leaks, remember how people were saying that was just a rumor ... until multiple sites corroborated it.

I don't really even see what about the rumor is so surprising. Nintendo can't even support the Wii U and 3DS as seperate entities, you seriously expected that they were going to support an even more powerful PS4-tier console and a PS3-tier portable? Not a chance in hell. Something was always going to give and it was always going to favor the portable market because the 3DS has sold 5x more than the Wii U and every Nintendo portable has sold more than its console countpart for the last 20-25 years. 

I don't know if I'd say they're full of it exactly, but I would just say to take anything like this with a grain of salt and try to find some actually links between those companies involved in the rumors, to see if there's any kind of plausibility to this article.

As far as I can see there aren't any connections between Nvidia and the dedicated gaming device market, let alone any information supporting Nintendo and Nvidia having a new business relationship, so I doubt it's believable for Nvidia to be the chip maker providing the processing tech at the heart of NX or at the heart of a device within the NX platform.

AMD at least has confirmed that they have new products in development for the dedicated gaming market and they have an established relationship with Nintendo, with more experience in developing this kind of product for a dedicated gaming device.
Just seems like AMD are the more logical choice to make the processor(s) at the heart of NX.

Nintendo seems to go with the familiar when it comes to partners, no reason why they should change that with their next platform. Cost wise AMD tends to be better than Nvidia, Sony and MS have had no issues with the support AMD have given for PS4 and XB1's development, neither has Nintendo for Wii U's GPU, it's already even been confirmed that AMD are providing the processing tech for Scorpio, so ultimately there's more pointing to AMD continuing their reign as processor provider for the console space.

Nvidia doesn't really need this business, the rumors for this Tegra based NX say that Nvidia were desperate for the business, which makes little sense, they're not desperate for any hardware business.
They could just make a device like this themselves and add it to their Shield family of products, sure they wouldn't have Nintendo's games, but they have solid relationships with 3rd parties, who could partner with Nvidia to port their games to this if it was packing enough processing performance to handle those games or they could just get android games and indies on the thing like they have with their other devices.

I don't really find the Eurogamer article that plausible, as far as Nvidia being the company making NX's processor.